FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Postcard Swap For Kids (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/postcard-swap-kids/)
-   -   Where is everyone buying their postcards? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/postcard-swap-kids/12786-where-everyone-buying-their-postcards.html)

ajrsmom 10-13-2004 06:11 AM

Where is everyone buying their postcards?

Im having a hard time finding postcards around my area--especially ones that would be of interest to kids. Believe it or not, our WalMart stopped selling the postcards from our region! :madd:

A long time ago, I read somewhere that you can take a regular photo that is 3x5 or 4x6 and send it as a postcard----does anyone know if you can still do this? Do they travel well through the mail?

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!
Tami

MomsZoo 10-13-2004 12:15 PM

According to USPS.com, as long as the post office can legibly read the address and the correct postage is applied, you can mail anything, including photographs as postcards. Hope it helps :sparkle:

redcardinalbird 10-13-2004 07:49 PM

Tami - I have never found any at my Walmart either. I buy mine at Factory Card Outlet or when I am traveling at a Truck Stop. I have also found some at our hotel giftshops and Hallmark.

Yes, you can send a photo thru the mail. I have found they are sturdier if you attach a piece of thin cardboard or heavy duty paper to them. You can also buy the postcard stock for your printer and just print your own. (One of my secret sisters did this for me!) You can also buy posterboard and cut it to a postcard size and decorate it. Our art fair had some of these recently for the kids to do. They can draw on them, use pictures they have cutout from magazines or use stickers.

ajrsmom 10-14-2004 09:29 PM

Thanks for all of the tips! :cool:

If I made some postcards from posterboard and let him decorate them with stickers and magazine pictures, would it have to be laminated or could we send it just like it is?

What did you use to attach the cardboard to the back of the photos?

redcardinalbird 10-14-2004 09:42 PM

Just use a good glue such as tacky glue or something with a permanet bond. I have not used it but could possible use the doublestick tape.

I have not lamented any of ours. Sometimes a sticker may come off but not often unless it is really sent thru the machines.

cynstenquist 10-15-2004 09:47 PM

Hi there!

Avery has postcard paper you can print on and send out. They are thicker and supposedly surface is treated to withstand the rigors it'll go through when mailing. Your local office supply place may carry their own brand which is often less expensive.

I printed some out on heavier card stock which has a glossy side and wondered how to make it thicker and sturdier and I thought about the larger mailing labels. It has a strong adhesive and added just enough thickness. If you do adhere two pieces of paper together, I would use a really tacky double stick tape or adhesive like the cartridge you can buy for a Xyron machine for those of you who scrapbook or stamp.

My friend sent me a pc she stamped on glossy card stock and it came through the mail with no problems.

Hope this helps.

crafteelady 10-15-2004 11:06 PM

I recycle greeting cards and use them for postcards. I just tear off the back side of the card. I put a small line in the center of the card to make a to/from separation. I use my scrap booking punch to round the corners (you don't need to).
This is especially great for holiday time. Much cheaper than sending full cards. I just make sure I don't send people back the card they sent me!!.
I have also used the computer and made my own using Print Shop or Publisher. Really pretty cool.
Good luck!!

cynstenquist 10-15-2004 11:09 PM

Great idea Crafteelady!!! Great way to recycle those beautiful cards. I save my cards - so I should have plenty of pc's to send out.

ajrsmom 10-16-2004 07:29 AM

Thank You!!!

More great ideas!!!

redcardinalbird 10-16-2004 10:32 PM

Crafteelady - Thanks for the card idea. I had not thought of that one and I do have lots of those little cards as they come unsolicited in the mail.