Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Clubs > Postcard & Greeting Card Exchanges > Postcard Swap For Kids

Postcard Swap For Kids Kids can swap mail each other postcards, a great penpal club overseen by parents.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:09 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Starting a Postcard Swap For Kids

Hi everyone

There's definitely been some interest in starting a postcard swap for our kids. I would like to hear from members to gauge if this is something that everyone would like to participate in. First of all, this is how I think it should be run, I am open to suggestions as well:

- No children will be allowed to register, posting would be done by the parents that are registered on this message board, this is not negotiable

- there will be a coordinator of this club (two if it gets large enough) that will collect mailing addresses and distribute them to their monthly postcard pal, again through the parents. This person will be the moderator or assistant moderator of this forum.

- depending on the # of children that participate, kids will broken into age groups. (i.e. 5-7, 8-11, 12-15, 16-18)

- if there are enough kids to participate, each child will receive a pen pal that is age appropriate, and if possible, gender appropriate.

- names will change each month, all address and personal information will be coordinated by the moderator of this forum and will be distributed privately through email

I would like recommendations on how often this needs to change and how often the postcards need to sent. For example, do we change the names once per month? If so, are they only required to send one postcard per month? Once per week? e-cards? Letters?

Please give me your input!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 07-31-2004, 03:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Postcard Swap for kids

hi there i think this is a good idea i have a sevn year old daughter almost eight but has just started wanting to do the pen pal thing so yes please include me on this mailing list please
Old 07-31-2004, 10:15 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I think a postcard swap for the kids would be great. I have a 6yr old, and if the name is going to change every month, I think one postcard/month would be a neat way to learn geography, but not really a good way to get to know someone. He does email, but for something like this, I think that although it is organized online, the kids should use good old fashioned snail mail.

Ideally, with switching names every month, I think it'd be neat to do one letter/postcard per week. Does anyone think that would be too much?
Old 08-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Gena

Postcard swap for kids

WOW This is an awesome idea....My kids are girl 8 and boy 6, they would absolutely love this , so count us in ! E-cards or emails would be nice too. This is a great teaching/learning tool...picking out and addressing cards , stamps, going to the post office, receiving and reading new cards.

If you decide to do the emails and such, we can each set up our children an acct with our ISP, and parents keep the password so we can open and check for spam, etc...before allowing them to read & answer their emails and cards.

And I think we should consider the childrens likes and dislikes too, as well as age and gender, I'll be glad to help anywhere I can. By the way .... my daughter loves swimming, bikes and Barbie and my son is into Yu Gi OH trading cards, Nintendo Gamecube and computers.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I think this is a great idea!! Can I sign up my granddaughter?? She's 8 and would love to get some snailmail and email also. She doesn't have her own addy but uses her moms email or mine sometimes.
Also, anything I can do to help with this let me know-
Old 08-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Friend of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

I would love to get my 7 year old boy involved with this. He's been asking for a penpal but it's hard to find one. I think that names should be changed every two months and I love the idea of having them exchange e-mails as well as using snail mail! Keep me posted!!

Wife to Bob 6/26/93
Mom to Jonathan & Adam(1996/1999)

My FC Member Awards!

Honorary Members

Old 08-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

i want to join but...

i wanted ben to be a part of it..he loves to get mail...but hes only 3...he can spell his name B-E-N he says when asked... (im a proud mom)

i would be interested to join...
i would of course send the postcards
and give info about the pic and would sign it BEN..but thats if its OK with you guys...

wishing you all the luck in the world...
nancy....
Old 08-03-2004, 03:28 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I'm glad you chimed in Bensmom! I was thinking that there is no reason to exclude the littler ones. I know my DD has loved to get mail since she is about 2.

But, she would also be excluded due to age at least for another year.

Maybe we could get the age lowered.

Nothing, here is set in stone as far as I know.

Old 08-04-2004, 08:18 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

FYI, I didn't say there was an age minimum, I just started with 5 because it just seemed the appropriate age to start with. ;-) We can include younger kids too!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-04-2004, 01:13 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by FamilyCorner
FYI, I didn't say there was an age minimum, I just started with 5 because it just seemed the appropriate age to start with. ;-) We can include younger kids too!
That is what I figured, that is why I said nothing is set in stone with the rules here!