Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-07-2002, 06:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

pie crust

Does anyone know the art of making a good pie crust and putting it in your pie pan with it looking good. My crust takes good but I just can't seem to get it in the pan and looking good.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

To get the crust in the pan, roll it up on a floured rolling pin. then roll it out over the pan.

Another way is to:

fold the dough in half and then into quarters. Gently pick it up and place it into the pan so that the center point is in the center of the pan. Unfold the dough into the pan and it should be perfectly centered. If the dough cracks a little during this process, press it back together with your fingers or patch the cracks with a bit of dough from the outer edges.

To finish - no matter which way it is in the pan, Press the crust firmly into the pan and trim any excess dough from the edge. Leave a 1/2 inch flap of dough around the edge for fluting or to use when sealing on the top crust. Once the pie is filled with your chosen filling, it is time to use the second package of dough. There are many different designs that can be made out of crust to top pies, but to make a standard top crust, roll the dough out as explained in step 7 and lay it carefully over the pie. Seal its edges to the lower crust by using a small amount of water as an adhesive. Use your fingers to pinch the edges together.

I hope these help you.

Old 08-11-2002, 09:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Clueless,
I am hopeless at crusts! I used to make a mean, flaky one but have lost the touch. Now I have found those wonderful crusts in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. Already rolled out and ready to place in a pan. They are folded in quarters and you just unfold into the pan in the same manner Shawn described. Both of my grandmothers are probably looking down on me as I type shaking their heads but it works for me!

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 08-11-2002, 10:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi..*s*

If you like your pie crust.....other than the fact it sticks to the pan, just grease the pan before putting in the crust.....

Jeannie
Old 08-11-2002, 01:42 PM
BoggsZ

Needing a easy and good pie crust recipe

Hi does any one out there have a easy and GOOD pie crust recipe if so please let me know. Thank you so much.
Old 08-11-2002, 02:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

If there's one thing that I Love making, it's pies;-) Everyone tells me how great they are. I have a great recipe that is absolutely delicious and real flakey but you are right, sometimes they fall apart before you put it in the pan. I think I have decided what my problem was. I used to use a full cup of shortening and now I just use between 3/4 cup & 1 cup - It definitely rolls out better and it stays together when I roll it up on the rolling pin & roll it out in the pie pan. I know some folks like to chill the crust first and that may help also, I just don't like to wait that long for dough to chill . Just keep experimenting till you get it just right.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pie crust

Can you recamend a good flaky pie crust? My name is jennifer nolen/email [email protected]
Old 08-11-2002, 06:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle

Hi Jennifer,
The pie crust that works great for me follows:

2 cups flour
3/4 to 1 cup shortening
2 TBS Vinegar & add milk to make 1/4 cup - let sit for a couple minutes.....

Combine flour & shortening together until mixture is like little peas - add milk mixture - combine & roll out on floured board. This recipe is for a 2 crust pie - Just cut it in half for 1 crust.

You can't taste the vinegar - It just helps to sour the milk I guess. This has been my pie crust recipe for years & everyone raves about how good & flaky it is - Try it, You might like it!!
Old 08-11-2002, 08:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Piecrust

Hello Clueless, I have a few words for you...Pillsbury Pie Crust in the Dairy Case...they are folded in fourths and you plop it in the pan, add your filling, plop in the top crust and you are good to go!;-)

Perfect all the time

janet
Old 08-11-2002, 11:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

No foil pie pastry recipe

Hello, I have a good recipe for pie crust that is good every time. There is no way to mess it up and it is easy to roll out and into the pan.

2 3/4 cups flour
1/2 pound of lard
pinch of salt
room temperature 7-up to moisten

Even if you add a little too much 7up it still turns out. I know I can see the expression on your faces when you read this recipe but it really is a recipe.

Good luck on your pie crust and happy baking.