Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-12-2002, 04:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

great info on pie crust

I am so glad to get all this great input on crust. I am going to try all of them out. My mom makes great pies and crust, but she is one of these cooks who just adds a little of this and a little of that. She never uses a recipe, and whe doesn't really like anyone around to watch while she's cooking. I keep telling her she needs to write all her recipes down as she is making them. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

i agree,, don't walk run to the store ,,they turn out perfect every time
i have tried for years to make pie crust,, every recipe i got whole of,, and never made a good one
grandmabee
Old 08-15-2002, 11:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

This is so funny....I've never had a problem making pie crust...
Try this one...just make sure everything is cold......

if you don't have a food processor, use 2 knives or pastry blender and work quickly.....

American Pie Dough
For One Double-Crust 9-inch Pie

2 1/2 cups (12.5 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
8 tablespoons all-vegetable shortening, chilled
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
6–8 tablespoons ice water

1. Pulse flour, salt, and sugar in food processor fitted with steel blade until combined. Add shortening and process until mixture has texture of coarse sand, about 10 seconds. Scatter butter pieces over flour mixture; cut butter into flour until mixture is pale yellow and resembles coarse crumbs, with butter bits no larger than small peas, about ten 1-second pulses. Turn mixture into medium bowl.

2. Sprinkle 6 tablespoons ice water over mixture. With blade of rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix. Press down on dough with broad side of spatula until dough sticks together, adding up to 2 tablespoons more ice water if it will not come together. Divide dough into two balls and flatten each into 4-inch-wide disk. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 2 days before rolling.

These are from america's test kitchen show.

American Pie Dough for Prebaked Pie Shell
For a single-crust 9-inch pie

11/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
dough and work surface
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
3 tablespoons all-vegetable shortening, chilled
4–5 tablespoons ice water

1. Pulse flour, salt, and sugar in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. Scatter butter pieces over flour mixture, tossing to coat with flour. Cut butter into flour with five 1-second pulses. Add shortening and continue cutting in until flour is pale yellow and resembles coarse cornmeal, with butter bits no larger than small peas, about four more
1-second pulses. Turn mixture into medium bowl.
2. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons ice water over mixture. With blade of rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix. Press down on mixture with broad side of spatula until dough sticks together, adding up to 1 tablespoon more ice water if it will not come together. Shape dough into ball, squeezing two or three times with hands until cohesive, then flatten into 4-inch-wide disk. Dust lightly with flour, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 days, before rolling.
3. Remove dough from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature to soften slightly, about 10 minutes if dough has chilled for 30 minutes, about 20 minutes if it has chilled overnight. (The dough should be pliable. Use your hands to squeeze the dough; if you can squeeze it without applying too much pressure, it is ready to roll.) Roll dough on lightly floured work surface to a 12-inch disk about 1/8 inch thick. Fold dough in quarters, then place dough point in center of pie pan. Unfold dough.
4. Working around circumference of pan, press dough carefully into pan by gently lifting dough edges with one hand while pressing around pan bottom with other hand. Trim edge to 1/2 inch beyond pan lip. Tuck this rim of dough underneath itself so that folded edge is about 1/4 inch beyond pan lip; flute dough in your own fashion. Refrigerate pie shell for 40 minutes and then freeze for 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Press doubled 12-inch square of aluminum foil inside dough shell; evenly distribute 1 cup or 12 ounces ceramic or metal pie weights over foil. Bake, leaving foil and weights in place until dough dries out, about 17 minutes. Carefully remove foil and weights by gathering sides of foil and pulling up and out. For partially baked crust, continue baking until lightly golden brown, about 9 minutes more; for fully baked crust, continue baking until deep golden brown, about 15 minutes more. Transfer to wire rack to cool as directed in individual recipes.

It takes practice....you'll get to learn the feel of the dough...*s*
but these recipes should get you going in the right direction... *s*
Old 08-15-2002, 12:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I use the plastic bags that come inside cereal boxes - one on the counter and one on top of the pie crust dough. (plastic wrap always sticks - to itself - and waxed paper seems to only crinkle or tear... These bags opened up are tough and smooth)

Anyway - I roll out my crust between two sheets of plastic using plenty of flour so it doesn't stick too bad. When I put it in the pan - I take off one layer of plastic, flip it over onto the pie pan, and peel off the other side of plastic. Adjust the sides, and trim.

My DH says it just needs practice - so he just keeps eating the mistakes ;-)
Old 08-15-2002, 04:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great pie crust info! A special aside to Clueless:

My mother's friend was the same way your mom is about her cooking. This is what my mother did to get her recipes.

My mom filled containers with pre-measured amounts of the necessary ingredients for a particular dish (of course the amounts had to be MORE than would be used) and asked her friend to cook a dish using the pre-measured containers. After her MIL was finished cooking, my mother measured WHAT WAS LEFT of each ingredient. Neat, huh?

My mom wrote up all the recipes one by one and passed them on to me! Maybe your mom will go for that? If she does, send her recipes this way!!

Carolyn
Old 08-15-2002, 04:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pie Crust

Roll your dough between 2 sheets of wax paper. When it's the right size, peel of the top sheet, turn the pie plate upside down, onto the dough, then slide your hand under the dough and turn dough and plate over. Then simply peel off the remaining sheet of wax paper and press the crust into the pie plate. After adding the filling, roll out your top crust the same way, peel off 1 wax paper, turn the crust over onto the filling, and peel of the remaining sheet.

I had so much trouble with pie crusts that I gave up making pies, unless I bought the frozen pre-made crusts. Then I remembered seeing my mom use wax paper years ago. It takes 4 sheets of wax paper to make a pie, but it's still cheaper than buying them pre-made.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle Pie Crust

So many good-sounding ideas for pie crust!---Can you stand one more? Years ago I could notmake a decent pie crust to save my neck, so made cakes, mostly. But in 1973 found a recipe called, "Flaky Pie Crust", so tried it. I have been using it ever since, and NEVER have had a bad experience since. It melts in your mouth.

It calls for: 3 c.flour, 1 t. salt, l 1/4 c. shortening, 1 egg, well-beaten, 1 tbsp. vinegar, 4 tbsp. water.
I beat the egg, water, and vinegar in a small bowl first, and then I use my mixer to break up the shortening in the dry ingredients until the shortening is in small pieces. You have to watch that you don't beat too hard or long, or it will be a mess.--Just keep moving the beaters around the bowl. Don't stay in one spot a long time. Then I use a fork to stir in the liquids. It makes a nice soft, pliable dough, and I turn it out on a floured pastry cloth to roll with my rolling pin on which I have a sleeve--cloth. When I have it rolled out to the size I want, I just pick up one end of the pastry cloth to flip the edge of the dough onto one hand, and pick the whole thing up to put in the pie dish. I use some water on the edges after putting in the filling, and do the same thing with the second piece of pie dough that I did with the first. I use a floured fork to press down the edges to seal, and prick a few fork holes in the top crust before putting it into the oven. The only way you can make this tough is to work too much more flour in while rolling it out.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Blondie, Your pie crust recipe sounds interesting....where do you get a sleeve for your rolling pin?

By the way do you have a good recipe for the crust you need to make a pastie with? Since you spent time in the UP thought you might know.

janet
Old 08-16-2002, 07:42 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Pie crust

My Gramma told me long ago that the secret to flaky crust is to put the dough in the refrigerator for half an hour before you separate it and roll it out. This allows the water to soak into all of the flour. As far as making it pretty... just mastering the trick of pinching the edges takes time and practice. Try cutting little petal shaped holes around the outside-center of the pie. You can then lay the cut-outs in the center in a flower shape. The look of effort will take away anyone's attention from any other "errors." Personally, my DH just loves the fact that I actually took the time and effort to make the pie in the first place. A perfect looking pie isn't the issue. Which is a good thing. lol
Old 08-16-2002, 07:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

janet--

Sorry, I never have made pasties.
As for the sleeve for my rolling pin, years ago you could buy a pastry cloth in a package which included the sleeve. I need a new one, but have not found one yet. They just don.t seem to be around. In my beginning days, I just floured the rolling pin, and a spot on the table, or counter. The cloth is easier to use, though. You might try looking in the section at a K-Mart, or other discount store where they have all sorts of kitchen gadgets (one of my favorite spots to check things out). Good luck.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.