Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 01-29-2002, 05:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

frozen blackberry pie filling

1 pie store in freezer bag when done

3c blackberries
1c sugar
2 tlbs flour
2 tlbs lemon juice
1/8 tsp salt
1 tlbs melted butter

Do Not Thaw
place in uncooked pie shell
cook at 450 10 minutes turn down to 350 for 25 minutes
Old 01-30-2002, 03:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wonderful Recipes

You are so full of wonderful recipes. You seem to be able to make anything!!!! Where do you find all of the fruits for your pies? Do you do this seasonally or year round?

Thanks for the advice too!!

Very heart warming to see that folks still care

Jackied
Old 01-30-2002, 08:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We do it while the fruits are in season. Most of the berries we'll go pick in the woods We are lucky that not far from here is wild blueberries, blackberries. Strawberries and rasberries I grow myself.
I was lucky enough to have a grandmother who loved to cook and she taught me how to to. She was 75 when I was born so there was a large gereration gap, and most of her cookbooks were pre-1900. So old recipes I do very well at new ones I am lost. I guess I'm just old fashioned
Old 02-01-2002, 01:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Othelia,
That cook book of your grammie's sounds wonderful.I am a country girl.Very old fashioned and I love old fashioned cooking. It was what I grew up on. My grandmother was a great cook too.I wish I had some of her recipes.That cook book you have sounds like something I would love to read.
It sounds like you know how to cook,can,and freeze anything available. I wish I knew how to do all the things you do.
Does it sound like I'm idolizing you? lol.

It sounds like you could teach me a lot.And I'm a very willing student.Especially when it comes to old fashioned recipes.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

thank you for the praise, you have never seen me try to make fudge tho. Then you'ld be saying something different. lol
Unfortuantly most of the things I cook/ bake I don't know the measurements. A handfull, a bowlfull, pinch, hee hee I tried to show dh how to cook, what a disaster. I do know how to follow a recipe but the ones I make alot or the ones that Grammie taught me it's hands on lol.
If there is anything that I might be able to help you with go ahead and ask. If I can I will, and there is alot of great cooks on the boards here too that are a great help.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky OH Fudge

Otheila,

I am only to excited to tell you how to make a fool proof fudge! I didn't think that I would be able to help anyone! You are all so cook smart for me!

If you can find Jet-Puffed marshmallow cream you can get the microwave recipe right off the back. It is wonderful and extremely creamy!!! You definately need the large, I think 3 qt bowl, because it rises high to the top.

My dad, God rest his sole, taught me this one. We used to make it on the stove but it burns easily this way. The microwave is (almost) fool proof.

Hope you get a chance to make it - great for Christmas!

Jackied
Old 02-01-2002, 05:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have to try it!! I love fudge but mine either turns to cement or to a cream ( taste good on ice cream tho).
This evening where we have been having an ice storm dd and I made maple syrup candy. mix mayple syrup and cream heat then pour into shapes in clean snow. ummmmmm so much for eating right today
Thank you for the fudge directions I gave up on it, plus pots get expensive and that's what ruined them making.

I don't think it's cook smart I think we all just have different styles of cooking and it's neat to hear how others do things. Doing things we never thought would turn out if it was done that way. I'm quite sure you'll be able to pass on alot of great ideas and recipes

Last edited by otheila; 02-01-2002 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

!!! ICE STORM !!!

We just got through an ice storm Wednesday night and most of the day Thursday. OH how awful. I feel for you. We had some downed lines and lots of branches fell off of our maple tree.

My DH and I were awakened last night at about 1:30 am, we both came running down stairs because we heard a huge crash, it was a rather large limb that fell.

One of the limbs went through our deck roof but other than that we are all safe and finally have the lights and heat back!

Take care and keep warm

Old 02-01-2002, 06:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Same storm just hitting us today. I have some small limbs down in the backyard. The streets are just coated with ice about 2'' thick.
Just turned the heat up so that if the power goes out tonight the house will still be warm. Cooked enough food today to last 3 days just incase