I found snails in son's fishtank. How did they get there? - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I found snails in son's fishtank. How did they get there?

I was looking at my son's fishtank today and I noticed several pinkie-nail sized snails crawling along the bottom of the fishtank. I am lost as to how they managed to get in the fish bowl. The fish are your typical goldfish in an average round bowl. When I put the fish in the bowl, I did not add snails. This is quite perplexing. Also we have had the fish for some time, they stay at his grandparents house. They say that they didn't add the snails either. They clean the fish tank about once a week. It's not really important, but it's just one of those things that pull at the back of your mind and cause you to not be able to stop thinking about it until you figured it out.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Welcome to Family Corner Rprewitt!!

I know absolutely nothing about your mystery! And a mystery this is!

I am going to keep an eye on this thread to see the replies you get on this one!

Sorry that I couldn't be of any help! ;-)
Old 02-23-2004, 07:54 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Welcome Rprewitt

I have heard that snails can be brought in on plants. Did you add any new plants to the tank recently?

Also, I read somewhere that some types of snails can live in dry environments for very long periods of time buried deep inside their shell. For example, a snail may end up in a bag if fish tank gravel and live there dormant for a long period of time, and then when the gravel is added to the tank water, the snail immerge.

Did you change anything in the tank recently like gravel, plants, anything else?
Old 02-26-2004, 03:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I dont know

His grandparents said that the gravel that is in the tank is the original gravel from the pet store and they haven't added any plants or decorations. Hmm . . . ?¿ I appreciate the replies, the only thing that I can guess is that they were with the the original gravel from the pet store¿?¿ Maybe they started really really small and have gone unoticed until now? Who knows Well any circumstance, he seems to like the new added feature to the bowl He lost interest in the gold fish once his mom got him a purple beta, since purple is his favorite color.