Need tips for are new doggie - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 09-24-2003, 01:35 PM
BoggsZ

Need tips for are new doggie

we just got a new dog she is a 6yr old Pug we rescued her from being put to sleep when her owners past away and there kids didnt want her. She only has one eye but it dosn't seem to bother her any. I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips for a new dog owner like ways to keep my house from starting to smell like dog and thing like that flea care just anything you can tell me I would greatly appreciate.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dog Tips

Hi
First I want to say Congratulations and Thank you for your kindness towards this poor sweet dog!
Its not easy for a dog who has bonded with their family for 6 years to make that transition and remember this dog has lost everyone and everything that was friendly and familiar.IMAGINE! The good news is that with lots of love and patience everyone wins!
The best way to keep your house from smelling like dog is to keep your dog clean but DONT bathe more than twice a month and be sure to use a gentle dog shampoo so that you dont dry out the skin.
Flea control isnt hard any more its best to get something from your Vet, we have 4 dogs and we like Advantix the best of all the ones we have tried, it works for fleas,ticks and mosquitos.
also you do want to use heartworm prevention, because heartworms kills dogs :-(
Make sure that you dog has a routine as far as eating at about the same time and in the same place every day, plenty of fresh water always available, having a pattern about "potty" walks and exercise time. Almost every dog likes to have a place of their own, so a corner of a room where they can have a "bed" to rest during the day or get away from stressful situations is good for them.
Dogs love to be talked to in a soft soothing voice and they DONT respond well to yelling or hitting to correct unwanted behavior.
I have a VERY high strung and stubborn Staffordshire Terrier and he will do almost anything just to hear me say "Good Boy"
Spend quality time with your dog just petting and holding and talking to them.
ALL dogs thrive on love
I would be more than happy to help you in any way that I can, since I have rescued several dogs also and its a wonderfully rewarding experience that you will never regret!
God Bless you and your Pug.
I hope this has helped you
Old 10-26-2003, 11:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You have to be a very special person to take on the Pug like you did. I have a 7 month old Pug. What a personality! I enjoy him so much. I don't understand why you would have a dog smell. I'm sure you must have given him a bath?
I keep candles burning all the time. Perhaps that would help. They also sell nice smelling sprays for dogs.
Would love to hear more about your Pug. What is his name? My pups name is Pudge. Did you know that they are bread to be lap dogs. Mine is great with my grand children. Don't have a mean bone in his body. He is such a joy:-)
Allie
Old 10-26-2003, 12:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Congrats on your new family member and high praises for rescuing!!! I did Boxer Rescue for a long time and with 13 Boxers in the house (boxers, like pugs, are HOUSE dogs!) I swear by the following:

Frontline for fleas. We have never had a flea. Not one.

Please get a heartworm test done on your new baby and start him on Heartgard or another heartworm prevention medication. That's the most horrible, and senseless, death an animal can suffer.

Nature's Wonder for "accidents" and even for basic floor cleaning. I love this stuff and I buy it by the gallon!

Febreeze and vinegar for odors. Boxers (not sure about pugs) can't be bathed more often than every 1-2 months or they easily develop skin problems so spritz the febreeze around (mine are couch potatoes so I also wash the slipcovers once a week) and also set a cup of vinegar around in each room. It absorbs odors.

Have fun!!!

Care, support and understanding for those with autoimmune diseases and their caregivers:
http://ACES_Autoimmune.tripod.com
Old 10-26-2003, 01:42 PM
BoggsZ

Thank you all for the tip.

Allie, her name is Sasha and she is a lazy girl just lays around and enjoys life lol shes a great dog shes older so shes just laid back follows me everywhere i go and lays by my feet when i set down loves to ride in the car we are so glad she is a member of are family. I also keep candles burning all the time i havent had a problem with a smell yet except her breath lol

Im going to try and post a picture of her thanks for all of your addvicea and help.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2003, 02:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm trying to send you a picture of Pudge again. I made it smaller. Not sure if it's going:-)
Allie
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2003, 02:35 PM
BoggsZ

Oh how cute looks like a miniture Sasha. Doont youu just love how thay snore and hang there tongue out
Old 10-26-2003, 03:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

yes! I like the way he snores:-) He sits at my feet a lot when I'm here at PC. He follows me all around the house also. He is always aware of me even when I think he is sleeping:-) I bought Pudge less then a week after I had to put my ****er Spanial down. It helped so much. Pudge has so much energy right now. I'm sure that will stop as he gets older like yours.
Did you know you have to be careful with your Pug when it's real hot and humid. They can't take the heat like some of the other breeds.
Allie
Old 10-26-2003, 03:10 PM
BoggsZ

So sorry to hear about your ****er spanial. We also had a ****er and gave her to our oldest son and his family we still see her all the time. Yes I have heard you have to watch them in the heat sasha can lay inthe ac house when its to hot. I have to keep an eye on her and make sure we exercise her she is gaining alittle weight so i have to watch what she eats. DD walks her all she can about 3 times aday if we dont she goes out to pee and right back and lays down
Old 10-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

New Puppy

Go to: Pedigree.com

There you can get a start kit for a new puppy, a daily or weekly email newsletter on taking care of your new pet and if you go to purinadogchow.com, you can get a free calendar and more freebies there too. Good luck with your new charge.