Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wild, Biting Kitten

I NEED help....please...

We got a kitten when she was just 7 wks. They stopped nursing and were ready. No Problem. WELL she is now almost 11 weeks old and is MEAN!! She attacks us for no reason, attacks when we walk by, attacks when we are SLEEPING or whenever she wants. She BITES and SCRATCHES. I am about at my wit's end. She is just wild. I did get her one toy with catnip, but have since taken that away with no relief.

I was just wondering if anyone had any clever ideas...

thanks in advance

Remember:
Wherever you go, there you are!
Old 09-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

shocking Sorry about the wild, biting kitten!

Cats are something else aren't they...so much personality! My only suggestion for you is a squirt gun...anytime the kitten choses an offensive behavior, squirt him/her...after awhile they decide it wasn't as much fun There are of course only so many things that you can do with a cat...they are so very independent!

I adopted a cat from the Humane Society about 2 months ago...she is a siamese and boy, she can sure make things interesting...she has so much but she can be a real devil too She likes to eat people food and if you leave ANYTHING edible out she will consume it! She will also dig through garbage and grocery sacks to get what she wants...she had some bad:mad: habits from wherever she came from...

Give that squirt gun thing a try...it is working for me...

Old 10-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello Kitty

We got an 11 week old kitty from the Animal Protection League and boy is she a wild one. After having a Himalayan for 18 years, this baby business is quite a shocker. Baby Sheba is an all black, part Oriental Shorthair and smart as a whip. She can open anything and everything is fair game for attack. But when she sleeps - she's dead asleep - I can pick her up by all four legs and she won't even open her eyes. She's fallen off beds, chairs and sofas and barely bats an eye - just curls up and goes back to sleep.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We adopted, or rather he adopted us, a ferral cat that was in the neighborhood. He would do scratch or bite also, primarily me. We did use the squirt bottle which helped plus I pried him off and put him in another room away from us. We did buy several toys and I would redirect him to these. This did help. He is now 2 and still does this occasionally mostly when he sees us as a moving target and he is bored.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 10-21-2003, 05:46 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well I am reading all these ideas and have tried them but to no avail, my is 7 months old got him from a shelter and has been fixed and declawed BUT HIS TEETH are another story. he started 2 weeks ago with bitting toilet paper and this morning I got up and he had shreded the newspaper from my dinning room table. I am so :mad: at him. But love him so much and lost my other beautiful cat in April from congested heart failure. So now I am at my wits end wit him any ideas besides the ones I have heard. I think he thinks he is a dog!!

Have A Nice Day!!

Old 10-22-2003, 11:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Do you have a crate, where you could crate him and some of his toys when he gets into something he should not. Or put him in a room (or crate) at times when you can not supervise him. Just be sure to include toys and nothing he can shred.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 10-23-2003, 12:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

It's been a month & 1/2...

She has calmed down a little bit with the biting as we walk by but she is definitely picky about when you can pet her. She is just like me and does not like mornings I have been trying to teach ds to just STOP petting her when she bites.

The next obstacle was to get her to stay off the counter, especially when ds is sitting at the bar eating breakfast...All I usually have to do is say "MIDNITE" and she gets down.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Remember:
Wherever you go, there you are!
Old 10-24-2003, 07:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Crazy cat

Our Sheba seems to have calmed down a liitle bit. When I pack lunches in the morning and make dinner in the evening I put her in "The Nursery" aka, my bedroom. She is fascinated by the drain in our kitchen sink (or any other drain for that matter). She will reach it there up to her little armpits. I can't even imagine what she's fishing for, although she will take the lettuce scraps out of the garbage disposal. It never seizes to amaze me what different personality each cat displays.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ours has calmed down too, but he is two years. We used to call him psycho cat has it would tear around the house in circles. He would also bite and claw at will. He still does some of this but I just stop playing with him if I was or if I was not I remove him from the scene.

His odd way is that he likes to drink out of the bathroom sink and have it filled with fresh water or will lap at the stream of water.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

cat that bites

Hi I am new to Family Corner and this is my first post here...but we share a problem ...I have had my for over 7 years now...I adopted him from the "pound" when he was about 7 weeks old...He is neutered and declawed so his only defense is his teeth....For the most part ...about 98% of the time ...he is lovable...
however he gets :mad: when I won't let him get out if someone elses cat comes into my yard..so he attacks me..I had to doctor
at one point because my wounds wouldn't heal and had to be put on antibiotics.. Also if he is being petted and has had enough attention he will bite....Sunday he put two deep fang marks on my arm because I tried to comb the matting from his hair...He is old and crochity and mean if he wants to be. He has only had two baths in all that time because he doesn't like that either..right now his white parts are looking "not so white"....He weighs 18# I guess I needed to see this in writing...everyone tells me basically the same thing.."I wouldn't have a cat that bites..."
But if I take him to the pound they are going to send him to Rainbow Ridge....and I can't seem to do that ...any suggestions for an otherwise lover...Margaret