FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Pets & Animals (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/pets-animals/)
-   -   Wild, Biting Kitten (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/pets-animals/8192-wild-biting-kitten.html)

redcardinalbird 11-10-2003 09:16 PM

Margaret, you have to do what is best for you and that meant declawing your cat. We are lucky that ours does not scratch on the furniture. He has torn up the carpet around the doors when they are closed and he wants in. We solved this somewhat by putting down duct tape temporarily (that multipurpose tape:-D )

We do not have a leash law for cats. He was impossible to keep in when he had his leg in a cast. He was constantly going to the doors/windows, and meowing. He would hit the windows with his cast and I thought he might break them. That was the longest six weeks! He does stay in our yard mostly as there are dogs all around us now.

Olivia_Oil 11-11-2003 05:53 AM

Claws

All of our cats have been indoor cats. Our Himalayan was declawed and she never seemed to know the difference. I really don't want to declaw Sheba. She's rather destructive (scratching wise) and has no aversion to using her teeth. Has anyone tried Soft Paws? They are caps that you clue onto their claws. Sorta like artificial nails for kitties.:rolleyes:

jrztomato 11-17-2003 03:08 AM

:( :( :( :( Hi ...
just when I was forgetting that I had a biting cat I got a reminder last nite..
I was sitting on the sofa watching "Matilda" for the upteenth time when I heard a horrible screeming coming from my back screened in porch....It was dark so I had to put the back yard light on to see what was out there...And as I suspected one of my DEAR neighbors cats was in my yard..Harley was screeming like mad because he wanted out and wanted it out of his territory...I thought I was going to get bit again but grabbed the patio broom from the porch and chased him with it...For about 10 minutes he kept his eye on my feet and had a really scary look on his face...I think he was waiting for a chance to attack my feet....I kept the broom near me and he kept his distance and finally settled down....I think I really need to do something about him...I will make my decision when I get home from Caridac Rehab this morning...What I don't need is for my heart rate and blood pressure to keep zooming up.....Wish there was an easy decision on this ongoing problem...Margaret

redcardinalbird 11-17-2003 09:10 PM

Margaret - I know it will be a hard decision for you however your health is very important and if he is causing you that much distress it may be time to let him go. You have also tried your best to keep him from biting.

jrztomato 11-18-2003 02:18 AM

:( :( :( Hi Redcardinalbird.....

Well, I called my vet and she agreed that my health had to be my first consideration..My dd (Holly) pointed out that if he gets me in a vein and I am alone I may not be able to get the bleeding to stop because I have been thining my blood since I had a heart attach in l992...(She is moving to NY state on Monday to be close to her dd and gkids....so I will be virtually alone in Fla. as far as family is concerned.._)they all want me to move north also..my other dd lives in NJ) TOO cold for me...although I am going up for the Christmas holidays....) anyway I am off the subject...
Well the vet agreed with my dd (JoLynn who is an RN) that a cat's bite is more serious than a dog's bite...something in their saliva..
So I had dd take him to the vet yesterday for his final nap...It breaks my heart but as they say "you gotta do what you gotta do"...I still haven't taken up his "feeding station" but will do it today....
I also mentioned to her that I had heard that the biting was a result of the declawing and she said not true....She said one has nothing to do with the other...A biting cat is just a biting cat regardless of whether it is declawed or not...
Thanks to all for your help and support..

Margaret

A day above the earth is a good day.::) :) :)

redcardinalbird 11-18-2003 10:31 PM

jrztomato - I am so sorry you had to send your kitty to Rainbow Ridge but know you had to do it for your health, especially with your DD not going to be nearby. It will be hard but you have your memories. I still remember my dogs who I had to put to sleep. One I did myself the other my brother had to take in as it was right after my father passed and I could not do it. My DH said it was the dog or him as she was getting hip dysplasia (sp?)
and starting to lose control of BMS.

Maybe you can get some fish or something to keep you company that does not bite when you get back from up North. I don't blame you at all for wanting to stay in sunny Florida!:daisy:

jrztomato 11-27-2003 05:55 AM

:cat: Just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to you all..

on another note....I still am becoming acustomed to Harley being gone....he was in my life for so long....I told my dd that sometimes I see a dark streak going across the room and think it is him going to the bedroom to take his nap....so he is still with me in spirit anyway.....and I really am not losing it.ROFLMAO

Margaret

A day above the earth is a good day:daisy:

redcardinalbird 11-27-2003 07:01 PM

jrztomato - Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else. As I type this I am now very full!

We will always miss our pets as they are members of our family. Their spirits will always watch over us.

jrztomato 03-01-2004 04:16 AM

:worm: :cat:
redcardinal bird... just sharing
.Guess I am feeling a little down today...it would have been Harley's 8th birthday...I still miss him and swear I see him running around the house...got rid of everything except his toys...guess I need to get them out of my living room also....Hope they are throwing him a party at Rainbow Bridge....:::
:heart: :cat: :heart:

redcardinalbird 03-01-2004 07:53 PM

jrztomato - How ironic, my brother and his family just got a new puppy so we were talking about our departed dog. We talk about another one but with having our cat now, in addition to fish and an anole that was sent home permanently for school Christmas break, I think we have enought pets for now!

So yes just think that he is having a great party at Rainbow Bridge. If you still don't want to get rid of his toys, just put them in a box so they are out of site. Or if you do donate them to an animal shelter in memory of Harley.