Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 11-06-2003, 09:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dirty Kitty

Hi Margaret,

I don't know how to stop the biting. But, I had a Himalayan cat and I ended up taking her to be professionally groomed. She came back fluffy and clean and smelled yummy and they even put little bows behind her ears. And the best part: I didn't even have any wounds.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:26 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Olivia_Oil thanks for responding...I had thought about finding a groomer for him and never followed through...
Someone told me a while back that their cat had bitten the groomer and they had to pay for a Dr. visit...
Also I am concerned about the biting because I heard from a nurse that a cats bite is worse than a dogs bite..because..you can get cellulites (sp)...
Margaret

A day above the earth is a good day
Old 11-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Margaret, If you decide to take him to the groomers then I would tell them he tends to bite. This way they know and can take the proper precautions.

You could possible put a towel over his head to keep him from biting when grooming or one of those collars they put on their neck to keep from biting themselves when they have been hurt.

I have not had to give our cat a bath, as he has not gotten that dirty or grooms himself. Thank goodness. He dips his paws in water but does not like to get wet.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 11-07-2003, 04:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Something completely different

My wild and crazy cat is facinated by pop up tissues. Last nite she removed the next to the last one from the box and then had to reach way into the box to get the very last one. Her paw didn't quite do the trick, so she stuck her head into it and got the box stuck. There she was jumping around with a tissue box on her head. Hey who put the lights out?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

WOW My sympathies go out to you all!! Boy am I glad my 2 cats are cool, calm and collected!!!!

You will be forever missed Breezy...

Love, Your FC Family
Old 11-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

update...I called the SPCA for advice and didn't get any..it seems that biting is common for declawed s
He is such a con artist...must know my thoughts because today he played my best friend and was up on my lap looking for attention....which of course he got...

as for the baths..he is an inside cat so not really dirty and does bathe himself..He is a domestic short hair and has some white (paws and bib and a little on his stomach) but is mostly a charcoal grey..so doesn't look dirty...I just know that the whites look dingy.....

I like the collar idea...will get one and see if that solves the grooming problem....thanks...

Margaret

Old 11-09-2003, 07:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Exclamation Cat that Bites

I know you love your beloved kitty kat. That's exactly the reason I won't have a cat declawed. You take away their natural defense and what are you left with. I've met more people than enough that have the same problem with their declawed cat. afterall declawing a cat is like removing our fingers. I've always felt sorry for a declawed kitty as it can't grab things the way they can with their nails.
Donna
Old 11-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well I hope this help others I saw my Vet at my Craft Show yesterday and asked her about the cat and tolieet paper and tissues and her suggestion was scented tissues that should keep them away and also tht being declawed like said here they have no defense to out comes there little teeth and they do teeth, so I hope that help anyone else that has this same problem I am.
Hey the spirit gun works great too thanks.

Old 11-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Our kitty is not declawed. He is both an inside and outside cat as he was wild when he adopted us. He is a black shorthair with white paws and bib, has a black goatee.

He loves to sit on the back of the couch and grab an unsuspecting person as they go by. As mentioned he still does bite at times.

The squirt bottle worked great in keeping him off the cabinets and table when he was younger. He does not get on the cabinets at all now. Occassionally he will jump on the table if there are papers on it. I just have to stand up and come towards him and he is immediately off that table!

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 11-10-2003, 06:50 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

On the declawing..it is the first time I had had a cat declawed..the last one I had completely destroyed a 3 pc
living room set by scratching the backs.

We have a leach law here and it applies to both dogs and cats...They can not go out unless on a leach....herein lies one of my problems..some of the old folks around here(and I am old so can say old)think they are above the law and let their cats run loose....Whenever a stray comes into my yard, Harley goes nuts and wants out ...I don't let him out because of the law( and the fact that he would be a goner in a fight)and so I end up getting bit....

Margaret