Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 05-20-2003, 02:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

a questions about dogs

We are going to be getting a puppy, i haven't had a dog since i was little and i was wondering if anyone could give tips on puppies and living with dogs...i have a 4 months old as well, if anyone wants to give some info on this, that would be great, thanks, the puppy is going to be a small dog i don't want a large dog living here with a small baby
Old 05-21-2003, 12:12 PM
kellyandkids

Honestly, I love dogs but...

Having a puppy is just like having a baby. Do you really want two teething and crawling together? Imagine trying to walk the dog and control the stoller. Or keep your toddler happy while doing puppy classes.

You don't mention breed but in general, I don't recommend mixing dogs and little kids. I'm afraid of the dog biting even in play or self-defense. They are pack animals and need to know that your child is not a puppy and is not challengable for pack position. Consider rescueing an adult dog that knows kids and has someone to tell you about its temperment.

Allow be clear about the monetary commitment. Probably $500 for shots and neuter and equipment that first year. And then there's food. And obedient classes.

I wanted to get a dog at this same stage in life. I realized that I was to busy to remember to remember I wanted to; so then realized I was to busy to take care of a dog. We still don't have one as my nine-yr-old girl still pulls tails. When she's 11 and her little brother is 6, I think he'd like one for his birthday. We are lucky to have a very active 4H dog club here.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Big dog, small dog .. they are still dogs.. They require the same amount of attention as a baby..... Kelly brings up excellent points.

I suggest you wait until the baby is older....preferably 6 years or older when you can explain that puppies are not stuffed animals and they have a right not to be bothered by little children.

Have you thought of what to do with poochie if y'all decide to go on vacation? Dog training can be in excess of $400.00

Dogs need vetting, training and food. None of this comes cheap.
They need shelter and companionship. At the very least the cost of maintaining is $500.00, depending on breed. Some breeds may require vetting in excess of 2000 a year. Some breeds are not hardy, some are. Some are good with kids, some aren't. You'll be making a life long committment...around 15 years average.
Please please really consider this carefully. I'm sure you want to be a responsible companion dog owner.

Little dogs can be even more 'nippy' that the big guys.. so please really give this a lot of thought before even attempting it. Babies sound like prey....you do not want to have a dog bite on your hands and believe me it happens more than you hear. If you still insist on getting a pup..after taking this into consideration, we'll talk again.. So you know, I have been a breeder and trainer for more than 40 years.. and I know what I am talking about.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-21-2003, 03:43 PM
kellyandkids

Thanks Jeannie for adding your very professional two-cents,

I hate to rain on someone's parade but I have seen friends who have trouble keeping their kids in shoes spend $300 for lab pups (not that these people hunt) and then discover they don't have the time or money to follow through with their investment.

So they break the kids hearts and offer me a dog that, frankly, I consider ruined at this point. I've become even more adamant with people about following through with neutering and training.

Our new neighbors are doing a very good job with a very active retriever, but they regret getting the dog just before they became pregnant. She is much more work than they expected. They work at keeping the dog on their side of the road and I work at keeping my youngest on ours.

When I am not raising kids anymore, I'd love to train dogs for the blind or disabled. But I know my limits. I can't even keep the house clean right now. OK, that's not a real priority for me but still I feel so guilty tossing good doggy table scraps. Old habits...so we have well fed pet rats right now.

Some very, very good advice: Teach your little ones that if they don't know the dog's name they can not approach the dog to pet it. If you say this in the presence of the dog owner, they will follow your lead and introduce the animal, or just keep walking. This has worked well for 13 years.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Kelly...even when the kids know the dog's name, they don't know the dog's temperament. I'll give you an example..... A person I know had a Bouvier..... the person had 2 boys....they got the dog as a pup.....the boys had friends that would visit...and the dog knew the friends.. However, one day, the boys that owned the dog left their friends with the Bouvier in the living room. The boys had gone in the kitchen to get drinks. All of a sudden there was a commotion in the living room.. the dog bit one of the boys...

Now... their house insurance paid for whatever damages, but would not renew it because of the liability of the dog bite. Their rates went through the roof. The dog was sent away to another county. Because of the dog bite they couldn't get house insurance because of the bite...

So knowing the dog isn't always a way to avoid problems. You can not know in that instant, what the dog percieved as a threat.

Kelly, I too am tired of seeing good pups turned into monsters. I also have seen some bad ones from the get go. There is so much to consider before buying a pup. One of these days I'll list it all....... I did this when I gave seminars......and I didn't consider it successful unless 25 percent had to rethink their want of a dog, and decided to wait until everything was right.

I'm tired of seeing all these dogs put to death because people don't train them, people don't take care of them and treat them, dogs and cats alike, as disposable diapers....throw them out! Leave them on the side of the road. Let them out without a leash then when the dog is run over blame the driver instead of their own irresponsibility.... I can go on and on... *sigh*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-21-2003, 05:46 PM
kellyandkids

Send me your advice; I'll open my email option. I might publish it locally for you. A local motorcyclist is lucky to be alive; someone's dog intersected his path at 65 mph. Ouch - Road rash.

Dog's are unpredictable even with family members. We practice dog safety techniques right along with fire drills and tornado drills.

My nine yr old was bitten once. It was the 'owner's' response that was unpredictable. They tried to claim it wasn't theirs suddenly. I gave the get 'rid' of it ultimatum. It was hit by a car within the week or I would have reported them to the police and social services.

I like dogs. I like kids. Sometimes it's just the parents I don't like.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

thank you so much

thank you so much for all of your advise...As i said before, i haven't had a dog in years and had no clue, let alone a dog around a baby...i will talk this over with my husband! Dogs or puppies are out of the question for me right now...thanks agian for all of your input!!!
Old 05-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Kelly.. I've published it myself....and it's included in the fee that people pay me to evaluate litters, pick pups, evaluate dogs for their homes, training, and brush up. It depends on where you live...I have found that some areas of the country are more prone to train their dogs.....others relegate them to the barn. Why have a dog if that's where you are putting them. Don't get me started.

I wish there were more education before they buy a dog.
I used to run free seminars for people thinking of buying a dog.
Just because they are cute on TV, doesn't mean they will be cute in your house. They don't realize the HOURS of training involved.
They do not understand PACK behavior and how that translates to the dog and they do not understand Alpha - Omega.....

When I had training seminars, my first lesson was without the dog. The dogs are easier to train than the owners.

I can't make people understand that for most dogs, cookie and clickers will not work. They have never put the dog in a stressful situation and done basic down and stand or sit with a dog.
They don't understand that even though the dog is trained, it has to be reinforced all the time. That is what the seminars are all about. *s*

Last edited by Jeannie; 05-21-2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:48 PM
kellyandkids

My hubby had chickens and a parakeet as pets. Explaining that a dog cannot stay outside year round in Minnesota doesn't ring with him. They need to live with the pack. He's the one who'll need the most training.

I've learned when to hire professional help when making decisions with him. We will hire someone to pick us the right dog. And it will be worth the money.

He likes German pointers; I like shepards or good mutts. Although I could use the help of a good sheep dog to keep that boy of mine in line. The next two summer will be tough.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

kelly don't forget to add to normal vetting, the cost of flea and heartworm meds . We live in a very suseptible area......

The first question to ask is.. What do I want the dog for?

Then we go from there....