Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 05-17-2003, 03:36 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

What to feed a stray kitty?

We inherited a kitten that was living under our trailer, the mom cat was hit by a car. I do not know how old the kitty is, what can I feed it? Can I feed it the cat milk in a carton from an eyedropper. It's eyes are fully opened and it can get around easily. We can not walk around under our trailer to see where she gave birth to it and/or if there are other ones, we have not heard any after we got this one out from under the trailer.

I am concerned that the baby won't survive. Do I need to take it to the vet, and if so what are the chances of it surviving? It seems as though she took very good care of it. But is it normal for only on kitten to survive out of a litter? I know the mom cat was a stray from last years stray kitten litters. So the mom was fairly young.

Any adivce?

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 05-18-2003, 03:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Is it tiny?

Depends how old it is. If it's still a baby, then you should go to a pet supply and get some of the kitten (baby formula) for it. If it is more than 8 weeks old then you can just give it kitten chow. Also, I would probably take it to the vet, if you can get ahold of it. Sometimes they are wild if they are outside cats and not handled by people. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Stacy
Future Vet Assistant
Flint River Ranch Super Premium Dog and Cat food distributor
Ask me about a FREE sample.
Because I care about your pets!
Old 05-18-2003, 04:54 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I don't think the mom cat has introduced it to solid foods yet. I don't even think it has been out from underneath the trailer, yet.

It sus not eat canned food, but we tried as an emergency feeding to feed it from a dropper and it loved the cat milk from the little cartons. We have no clue how old it is. I think it is about six weeks old.

I will try to give it some kitten chow today to see if it eats that. Should I moisten it? To make it softer, and if so with what? water?

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 05-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hmmm.....

That's a good question. Do you have any idea how old the kitten is? Usually by 8 weeks they can begin to eat kitten chow. Does it have teeth? I would say you could try adding a little water to it to make it soft. But if it liked the kitten milk from the carton, keep giving it that. And if you are planning on keeping the kitten, I would take it to the vet to make sure it doesn't have any diseases (feline leukemia or worms or such). Plus that would help you determine it's age and what to eat. Good luck.

Stacy
Future Vet assistant
Flint River Ranch Super Premium Dog and Cat food distributor
Ask me about a FREE sample.
Because I care about your pets!
Old 05-18-2003, 02:25 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I think the kitten is about 6 weeks old! Yes, it definitely has teeth it bit us several times, playfully of course! It seems to be doing very well, it loves to play it is very frisky! Which, I am hoping it is a good sign! It seems very happy! We can not tell yet what sex it is. If that would help in determining the age of it?

Old 05-20-2003, 07:39 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Kitten is doing well, I think it will make it, now I need to schedule a vet appointment, I wish I had a discount vet in our area!!!

I really did not want to keep it, but the kids fell in love with it and I am a sucker for animals. So, I guess this is my fault for having this kitten, in our home.

Old 05-20-2003, 01:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

have you found out the sex?

Have you found out the sex of the kitten?
the doctor should be able to determine the age for your kitten as well, taking it to a vet is a good idea cos' it might have worms and ear mites, sometimes if the mother had them, they can be born with these critters...
to tell the sex of the kitten, flip it over look in that area and if it has a big thing with two smaller things it is most likely a boy...sometimes girls look like boys, but you can really tell if you look at the behind with the kitten standing...don't worry about buying toys...they will play with things that you don't have to buy

try foil put into a ball
also, after you buy a gallon of milk, the thing you take off to open the lid (its a plastic strip) they love to play with those too, they will pick them up and walk around with them, its really cute

if you have any questions just ask...i used to work for a vet and i've had over 10 cats over my life my cat had 5 kittens last year so i went thru a lot of training when it came to kittens
Old 05-20-2003, 06:34 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Honestly, i think it is too early too tell if it is a girl or a boy, for a nonvet. We had a two stray kittens, about two years ago, and we thought they were both females, so did all the neighbors. Until the one got real big and the other did not get as big, I realized one was a boy, and everyone argued with me, he was about 5 months old and still could not tell by looking it took until he was over 6 months to tell.

Thanks for the toy advice, it already is so playful, I have never seen such a playful kitten, I just hope it stays so healthy. It likes to play with the dog, and the dog wants to be its father but the dog does not realize his own strength with the kitten. So kitten has to be in a cage when not able to watch.

How can I teach it to lap its baby milk? It will drink it from a bottle but not from a dish. (acutally I am cutting down small dixies cups, to fit his tiny size). It will also eat the dry kitten chow!! Yeah. That makes me feel so good, I think that is another good sign.

Oh its name is Nelly.

Old 05-21-2003, 06:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

FEEDING KITTEN

try mixing the dry food with the milk, the dry food will be softer for nelly and also the left over milk it should lap up...it all depends on how old the kitten is if it knows how to lap milk up,
i'll pm you pics of what a boy and girl look like
Old 05-21-2003, 08:24 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Woo Hooo, Nelly is now lapping milk from a container!!! Should we let it eat just till it stops? or do cats eat too much and make themselves sick?