Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 05-21-2003, 03:12 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for the websites will definitely check them out!!! I will reconsider declawing, the main reason I want to declaw is because I have a 3 yo dd who thinks the kitty is her baby. She is doing really good with it though. The kitty is in a nice cage, plenty of room for it to play while in there. The dog thinks that the kitty is his "child" he sits by its cage 24/7, and barely sleeps. Not sure if he is jealous or being fatherly.

The kitten is doing great with the dry food, and the cat milk. It even cries when it needs to relieve its self. Which is a good thing because I can monitor it bms.

Any other advice on a baby kitten would be greatly appreciated. Like how to try to keep it from wanting to run outside!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 05-21-2003, 03:39 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

I know declawing is painful for the cats....
But, personally.....I have 11 cats inside, a Husky, and a bird....Mine are all declawed. I know many will be up in arms about that.....But, they do also live in my world. They were ALL strays....and are Very Happy and well cared for. I will not have my house torn apart as much as I love them. And I just don't have the time to train them all ..... that is a 24/7 job.
I had them declawed when they were "FIXED". That way they were only under 1 x! They recovered Great - No Problems!
They only thing is you can't use normal litter when it is done, for like 10/14 days. Then everything goes back as it was.
Mine Stay Inside At ALL Times! To much can get them outside....
I do, also have 3 - 4 outside cats that have adopted us. They are Always outside, and I would NEVER have them declawed.
(or if they were inside outside I would Not have it done!)
Some Vets will not declaw, It is like removing the 1st joint of your finger, so that the nail will not grow.
There are so many views on Everything......
Do what is right for you, and know you are doing the best you can. The health of your kids/family come first and if you are worried about the kids....do what you have to do.
You have already saved the life of the kitten and are giving it a loveing home. I personally think that all the vets over Vac. ALL the animals for $$$$$. This alone can and does cause health problems. They start to young....do too many and every year is NOT needed. Most of all if they are INSIDE! I have done all my animals 1st Vacs. But, as far as the following year for the inside cats......NO WAY! The outside cats still get theirs.....to much for them to come into contact with.
As I said "You do the best you can, and what is best for you and your family!"
The Vets will do what they have to do....that is how they make a living too.
Just something to keep in mind.....
Old 05-21-2003, 04:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi-
I can't give advice about feeding the kitten, but I know that if you moisten an old wash cloth and stroke its back, it will survive better. The old terry wash cloth will feel like the rough tongue of a mama kitty and the kitten will feel loved. Good luck with your little tail swisher!
Old 05-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Sorry but I'd have to disagree at bit on a previous post.
Declawing does hurt and is like removing the first joint of your finger. Many vets will not declaw and there is a reason for that. As far as the children go, I have three youg kids and I'd never think about declawing a cat for this reason. A kitten may scratch in self defense if it feels threatened but isn't likely to do much more than a surfuce scratch. The real danger comes if one gets bitten. The bites carry bacteria that can be dangerous. More than likely even if bitten the wound would heal but there is that chance. Always clean wounds well and keep them clean until healed.
As far as vaccines go... I vaccinate mine every year. I buy the vaccines and do it myself except for Rabies which a vet has to do.
The vets have to follow guidelines set up by the Veterinary Boards and the Vaccine Companies. There has to be a standard.
Everyone does have opinions and the best way to form one is to educate yourself .
Robin
Old 05-21-2003, 07:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

what in the world?

11 cats???that is outragious...i hope you have a big house! we had seven in a one bedroom apartment onlyb 600 square feet and it was awefull!!! trying to keep the litter box cleaned while my husband and i both worked 50+ hour jobs! we are down to two cats now and in a bigger house and its still a job...and i don't even work anymore...well i do work...i have a 4 month old...so basically i work 24 hours a day but that is beside the point... 11 cats???Dogs???birds??? how do you do it?
Old 05-22-2003, 12:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Congradulation on your new kitten. That is how we got ours two years ago. He walked up to the house and the sucker that I am started feeding him baby cereal mixed with water. He stuck around and finally my husband let him in the house. I waited 2 weeks until I was sure no one was severely allergic to him (I am allergic to some cats) and then took him to the vet.

It is hard to tell the sex when they are a kitten, my husband said it was a girl, the vet said a boy, but did admit until 4 months or so it is hard for a person to tell.

As for a vet, call several and see is they offer free exams for a new kitten, lots do here to get new business.

Also check out some of the cat food sites. I believe it is Friskies or Purina and they offer a free video and info on care of kittens.

I agree about the toys (not buying them) our does not play with them, he loves the rings off the milk cartons or hair scruncies.

We also could not declaw him (but did nueter). He does not use his scratching post however he also does not use the furniture. He does like to use the plastic foam floor puzzle pieces though. He generally does not scratch the kids unless they bother him extensively and has never bitten.

Since he spent his first two months outside he does not like to stay in the house. He scratches the door to come in or out.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 05-22-2003, 05:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Since Nelly is acting happy and playful, I wouldn't obsess over her health!

A vet visit is a must - get started on the needed shots. I lost 21 cats and kittens (used to raise and show) to distemper one horrible year in the '50's before the distemper shots were available. Also lost cats to feline leukemia and feline immune virus before those shots were available. Now I see to it that our cats get every shot made! And since mosquitoes are a major problem this year, I'm giving them the monthly heartworm stuff, too.

Yes, the little things are an expensive hobby, but when you have a pet it needs proper care.

We have 3 cats at the moment (it changes). A couple of years ago we found some abandoned babies - really little, under 10 days old. They thrived on feedings of kitty milk from the pet supply store - every 2 hours, day and night for a week, then every 2 hours during day and about every 3-4 hours at night. Had to massage their tummies and bottoms after feedings so they would urinate and stool - that's why momma cats lick their tummies and bottoms - to stimulate their excretion! They did well and I found them a wonderful home when they were about 10 weeks old. It was a great experience for us. Just wished the kids had still been young and at home - both to help out and to have the experience! ;-)

We love cats!

Elizabeth - Grandmom to a baseball team and one lonely little cheerleader!
10 +
Old 05-22-2003, 05:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi All,
It's been a long time since I have posted. Life has been hectic. I just wanted to add my two cents about cats. Both of the cats I have was to young to leave thier mother when I got them. I dropper fed them with milk and a bit of canned cat food untill they was old enouph to eat. It worked out just fine. I have never even thought of declawing them because they have never even tried to scratch the kids. The cats are about like the kids. At least they think they are and I would not have them any other way. Enjoy your new kitten.

Old 05-22-2003, 06:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Robin and Jeanie!

Hi Robin. How are you? I have to agree with you also on declawing cats. We have one that is declawed and one that isn't and I will never declaw another cat. It is very painful and is like torture to have done. Our first cat that is declawed scratched a hole in our couch and she did have a scratching post. So we took her to have it done and I'm sorry we did. She can't defend herself with our dog and she is afraid of her.

Jeanie, yes I agree about FRR food. Our animals are all eating it and love it. It's healthy and not anymore expensive than any of the others out there. Great to hear you are giving it to your animals also.

Mom 2-4, have you taken your kitty to the vet yet? You really should. They may be able to tell you if you have a male or female and it should be vaccinated! We get ours vaccinated every year and everyone should. I agree with Robin. You can buy the vaccines yourself and give them to the animals. Otherwise you are risking them getting disease and then they will be worse off! Always get your animals vaccinated! You take your children to the dr. for their vaccinations, so why not take your animals for theirs! Ok. I'll step down off my soap box now!

Stacy
Paws'n'Tails pet sitting services
Flint River Ranch Super Premium Dog and Cat food distributor
Ask me about a FREE sample...
Because I care about your pets!
Old 05-22-2003, 06:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Exclamation

That's right....Be informed!
My vet has even told me....vacs. can be over done!
And, he is NOT a holistic vet.
Even in many of the vet colleges now they are teaching that the repeat of vacs. is not needed as much as once thought.
He said, many vets want to see the animal yearly because most pet owners are Not very aware of their pets, and do not notice signs of sickness and trouble. That being the case, they will use years shots as a reason to have people come in so that they can check out the animal. PLUS the fact that this is were MOST of their income comes from. Think about it.
So Be Informed!.....You can not just take the word of any Drs.
be it for people or animals. There are difference in thought and teaching. Rabbies is the only vac. that is required by the state. At least in Ohio. And that is in Dogs.
Times are changing and vaccine protocols are changing.
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/vac.html
http://www.nccn.net/~wwithin/vaccine.htm
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/1158/animals.htm
http://www.holisticat.com/vaccinations.html
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/nosodes.htm
http://www.hsus.org/ace/11790
http://www.access1.net/via/PETS/pets.htm
http://www.europa.com/~dshecklr/Vaccinations2.html
http://www.whale.to/vaccines.html
http://www.animed.org/dogs_and_cats_...ry_checkup.htm
http://www.altvetmed.com/ahvmadir.html
These are just some web sites that tell Both sides of the vaccine story.

As far as all of the cats we have go......We really don't have a problem....everyone that visits us, does not really know how many we have until they ask......There is NO Ordor from them because we keep it clean. There are 4 litter boxes....that are cleaned out 3 - 4 x's a day.......or when ever we pass by....we check them. All the cats are Well taken care of and healthy!
We have our reg. vet & Vet that deals with internal med. In fact he has also told me that all the vaccines are not needed Yearly.
Animals become immuned. We had a Lab. he had treated for a heart condition.....He told us No More Vacs. were needed with him that he was Immuned! The dog lived a few years after that.
This included Rabbies......
When I asked my reg. vet about this issue.....(and I have asked a number of other vets as well)....they ALL agreed. But, keep in mind they did not agree until questioned, because not getting shots yearly is money out of their pockets!

As I said before
Be informed! And make up your own mind to what is best for you and your own family! Everyone thinks they are right with all of these issues.
Cat scratches can cause Alot of problems as well as bites. Think about were there feet are!
There is a disease called "Cat Scratch Fever" and it is Really.
Note: You should Never have all 4 paws done!, only the front 2 if you choose to do that.
I think it is funny (not really), that I have found that some of the same people that are opposed to declawing a cat will abort a human baby. Not saying that any of the people that responded to any of these would do that, since I don't know them at all!
It has just been something I have noticed over 20 years time in talking to people. Now there's something to think about....