Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 05-21-2003, 08:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

Milk gave our cat diarrhea, and since then I've been told a cat should not be given milk. I am not up on cats, though, so ask someone who is.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

when fed adequately, nelly's abdomen will feel full- but not tense or distended, if you overfeed, he/she will have diarrhea.
as long as nelly doensn't cry excessively, gains weight, feels firm to the touch and has light brown stool 4-5 times a day, then most certainly the food is meeting the nurtritional needs, just make sure to gradually increase the amount you are feeding, after 4 weeks of age, a kitten should be eating around 3 feedings a day

just make sure and watch the stools, if the stools turn to a loose yellow, its a mild degree of everfeeding, just reduce the amount of formula by diluting it 1/3 with water, as the stool returns to normal, you can restore the formula to full strength, although after after 4 weeks of age, you can start weening the kitten to solids
Old 05-21-2003, 09:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

dry or canned

dry: one part kibble to 3 parts formula (room temp) if nelly is eating it quite well, reduce the formula in stages until nelly is eating the kibble dry...which usually is for ages 7-8 weeks,

canned: 2 parts canned, 1 part formula and use the same steps above

and also, make sure you have a clean bowl of water for nelly at all times, kittens have high water requirements and can dehydrate quickly

hope this helps...i use to volunteer at a shelter and learned all of this stuff the hard way...
Old 05-21-2003, 10:10 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Michelle, you are very helpful!! As of right now Nelly's stools meet good standards! I must check its belly when it wakes up. It is eating the dry food, without a problem, it just seemed that every time I put food out for it, it would eat it all right away (feeding in small amounts). Wanted to make sure that it wasn't just eating for the novelty of it, because it is something new for it!!!

Thank you so much!!! Your help is greatly appreciated. As I do not want to see anything happen to this kitten. Now I need to find a vet in our area that is accepting new patients!!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 05-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi,
I had to teach our kitten to eat when we first got her (She's learned well, by the way, she's 10 and HUGE). I called the vet and was advised that I could feed her the kitten formula but that baby food worked just as well (vegetables or meat) and was much cheaper so that's what I fed her every 2 hours round the clock til she was big enough to eat on her own.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

OK Kitty Lessons 101
If the kitten is say under 4 weeks you need to go to your vet or pet store and get some kitten milk replacement. If the kitten is 4 weeks or so you can soak some good quality kitten food with some kitten milk replacement or warm water. If the kitty is 8 weeks or older you can offer just kitten food.
Do not offer milk. They will drink it but it isn't good for them. It may even give it diarrhea.
When the kitten is 6 weeks old he/she needs to start vaccinations. They usually get vaccines at 6, 9, 12 and 16 weeks. You should have your vet do a fecal check.
You should educate yourself about FELV and FTLV. Possibly heartworms. And a biggie is flea control/prevention. Knowledge and understanding is the key.

Hope this helps.
Robin in NC
Old 05-21-2003, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

HI Stacy... Love that Flint River Ranch food... I've feed that for quite a while now.. and it's excellent.... I recommend it to everyone.. In fact, I grind up some of it and use it in whole wheat dog biscuits that I make at home.....*s*

mom2-4.. you're a very very nice lady... *s* good luck with your new kitty.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-21-2003, 12:46 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Jeannie, not sure about nice just a sucker for animals!!! I hate to see them go to the pound and not find new homes!! Thanks for wishing me luck, I am going to need all I can get, till I get this little kitten all medicated and spayd/neutered, and declawed.

We also inherited a dog about three months ago that I could not stand see going to the pound, but the old owners are still invovled with the dog. So they help if there are any medical bills with him...thank god. But, if we had not taken him he would have gone to the pound also, and he is nine years old and they say that people do not adopt older pets. But, I don't understand why, espeically now he is such a great dog!!! I hope the kitten is just as great, so far it is.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

Bless you for taking care of the kitten....and doing your best for and with it! I have rescued many cats and kittens. And, I know it is hard and very time consuming. Please know that what ever happens that you have tried your best.

Places like Petsmart or other pet stores sell kitten bottles and formula if the kitten is still very small. They also have books to help you. You want to stay away from giving ANY cats and kittens Milk. It can give them diarrhea! Most kittens are also born with worms. Be sure to wash you hands and have any others wash well too. After the formula and before solid foods.
You will need to make a gruel from the food and formula.
Starting out soupy....and little by little making it alittle bit drier and it is able to eat it better. NEVER, leave it sit all day. It will go bad from the formula and will also draw bugs.
Keep the kitten warm. Even though the weather is getting warmer.....Keep a blanket or some means to keep it warm.
I normally, take the kitten/kittens and put them in a dog crate or kitty condo. To keep it safe and dry. Handle the kitten as much as you can....and have other handle it too.
There are Many things that can be wrong and kill cats.
But, most blood work doesn't detect things until they are 6 mos. old and ready to be nuetered/spayed.
May of these things can be passed just by nose to nose contact.
So, if you do not know were the mommy is and her health....you should keep the kitten away from other cats and kittens it you have any. You don't want to pass something onto them. http://www.i-love-cats.com/cathealthandcare.html
I know it can be Very Over Whelming. Thank YOU! for caring about this poor kitten.

There are some web sites that can help you and most likely rescues in your area......You really should check them out!
Even if you want to keep the kitten for yourself. Many times they are willing to help with the cost of spay/nuetering. Check them out. If it in not in the phone book, call you local SPCA and ask them if they know of any rescue places and Phone #'s

http://www.i-love-cats.com/
http://www.alleycatrescue.com/
http://www.kittens.com/
http://www.fanciers.com/rescue.html
http://www.catnetwork.com/
http://www.rainbowsedge.co.uk/
These are only some of the sites....and it can be very helpful.

Good Luck and again Thank You!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi,
I'm glad you are taking good care of the kitten. I was a bit concerned that you mentioned getting the kitty declawed. Unless there is a very good reason for this I'd strongly discourage this.
Most cats can be trained not to claw furniture etc if given plenty of scratching posts etc. Our cats are indoor/outdoor but we threw down some cut wood and they use that or a wall scratcher if they feel the need in the house.
Declawing is painful and leaves the cat no defense should it ever get out. It's possible but not as likely that your cat could get away from an attack should it need to or defend should it get cornered.
The one and only time I saw a reason for declawing a cat was a cat that had a nasty attitude and had a tendency to attack people who visited the home. It did not however keep the cat from biting people. This cat just did not like people other than his owners. The owners kept it locked up when others were in the house. The last straw before they had it declawed was when the MIL came to visit and the cat escaped the bedroom. The MIL went to the restroom and while releaving herself the cat attacked her
legs. She required medical attention. That's when the owners declawed the cat.
I've heard story after story of people who wished they had never declawed their cat for one reason or another.
Please reconsider.
Robin in NC