Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 05-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Getting Rid of Fleas On My Cat?????

I am desperate. I just adopted a new kitten whose name is Napster. He is so adorable and we just love him. He had fleas when I got him and I have sprayed, powdered and have even kept him up away from all other cats. I can't get rid of his fleas. I feel so bad to see him scratching. I even held him down and picked them off. That didn't go over to good with him. Could anyone please help me?

Sue L.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Fleas

Hi Sue. When my cats had a problem with fleas, I have always tried bathing them first. If your kitty is at least 12 weeks old theres a product by Zodiac that works well.....you spray it on your hands and rub it onto the cat. It alittle costly but it works and it can also be used on the areas where the cat sleeps. Good Luck! Debbie
Old 05-16-2003, 09:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Fleas

Thanks so much Deb. I will be headed to the store tomorrow to get some.

Sue L.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm pretty sure they have a cat version of the medicine they advertise for dogs- Advantage. I use it for my dog and it works quite well--you just put it on once a month so then you don't have to deal with flea collars that can cause allergic reactions.

So, after you give it a special flea bath, then dry the cat and put on the Advantage or similar medicine and it should be fine for at least a month. You should get the medicine from your vet though. Usually they have a low-cost vaccine clinic where they will prescribe this stuff without paying for an office visit.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Treating Fleas

Go to your local health food store (or email me personall - I can get this for you) and buy some pure tea tree oil. When you buy it, it should have 2 numbers a T and a C with a number after them. Buy the one with the highest T and the lowest C numbers in order to get a good grade of oil. Place a drop or two in the areas where the fleas are the most (collar area, by tail). You will literally see the fleas jumping off in these areas. Good luck!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:14 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Frontline can be used on kittens over 6 months of age too, it is a few drops you put on the nape of their neck.

it could be she is getting reinfested, if she goes out from there or maybe they are in your carpet, I throw a few cat flea collars around under the furniture and they seem to help. You can also place a bowl of water or vinegar under a night light so at night they jump towards the night light and they fall in the bowl, put the light near the floor level. Best near the door where they can enter.
get a flea comb too, they help.
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have also used Advantage or Frontline (there are other brands as well) on our dogs and they work great. It's a small vial of drops that you put between the animal's shoulder blades. Our cat is allergic to flea bites, but we don't even need to put it on her, putting it on the dogs is enough.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have 3 cats and I can use 2 vials between them and the fleas run out the door....not that I have fleas.....another ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure things

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oops!

I used "Submit Thread" instead of "Post Reply"... Please see: "Dawn Dishsoap for Fleas" (or something similar)
Old 05-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Flea lessons 101
First, you need to break the life cycles of the fleas. Fleas only jump on the host when they need a blood meal. The rest of the time they are in the environment. This means treament of the floors, bedding, ground etc.
Second, use products with an IGR - Insect Growth Regulator
Next, treat the kitten, depending on the age you can use one of th new topical applications but make sure you use ONLY things made for kittens. Cats/kittens are very sensitive to toxins.
Many of the topicals require that you wait a few days if you have bathed the kitten. They do make specail shampoos to use along with the topicals that won't wash off the product. Make sure that you follow the directions.
If you choose to use other methods such as shampoos and dips
Zodiak, Adams, Professional Pet Products, Halo Purely for Pets are some good choices. Just make sure to read and to know what you are using. If the kitty is very young buying some good quality flea spray and dotting the fleas with a Q-tip may be a choice.
I'd strongly discourage buying grocery store brands etc.
Good Luck! Hope this helps!
Robin in NC