Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 05-23-2003, 08:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Robin...I second that!... Animals have a different PH than we do.

It's wisest to check with your vet as to what products to use. He/She will tell you what is best for your particular animal.. Many conditions exist that require the use of the right product.....and use of the right product also PREVENTS many other problems that can develop because of not using the right product.

Like I always say, a visit to the vet is the most economical in the long run. You can do more harm than good if you don't know what to do

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-23-2003, 04:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle DMC1987

Do you have a problem with your two cats having fleas? If so, what do you use for them? At this time we don't have a cat to have to worry about a flea problem, but have been trying to make up my mind about getting a cute little kitten sometime. The other showed up with a very contagious, incurable virus over a week ago, and was put to sleep a week ago this morning, for his own sake. We were devastated, and miss him so much. We don't want that to happen again. The vet told us it is common with outdoor cats, which he was, and if we get another, I'd have to keep it inside, which means a litter box. I am not crazy about having to keep up with that, so have a lot of thinking to do yet.

( I know you!!)

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Blondie

Blondie,(Grandma), I was told by Mom about your kitty, and I'm so sorry you had to make such a decision, but if it was better for him, you made the right decision by having him put down. It was better then him suffering. Did you get my e-mail greeting I sent you?? Yes, we had a problem with the fleas. Especially since both cats we have were strays when we got them. I bathed both upon bringing them in the house and I found that Sauve shampoo, for some reason, kills fleas. After trying to get most of them off that way, Iwould let them dry and put the Zodiac spray on them. The flea collars will just allow the fleas to go on another part of the cat, thats why I don't use them.After getting a control of the fleas I use Frontline. You have to get a control of them because All the drops don't get into the cats system for a month and in a month's time.......there's a lot of fleas. If you get another kitty and let it out, just make sure you have vaccinated and use a Frontline. Fleas are in the grass also, when we had the house, I use to dust the grass with Seven. Have a Good Weekend! Debbie
Old 05-25-2003, 04:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I raise pygmy goats and fleas and lice are ocassionally a problem with them. We have used Advantage on our dog for several years but I always lock him outside for a couple of days when we have to apply the medicine. I got this recipe from a goat list I'm on and several other members swear by it. It couldn't hurt and nothing toxic!!

"Flea and Lice Killing Shampoo

This recipe is excellent for Killing Fleas, and Lice and their eggs in Human Children, and on all pets, including Dogs and Cats, and will eliminate Ticks also.
All arachnid species die from the contact.
It also will repel termites and fire ants, and will kill them on contact as well.
Here is the recipe and instructions for use as a lice shampoo for little children:
(change it as you will to read Goats or other animals):

Ingredients:
One Regular sized bottle of any Tearless baby shampoo
One 2 ounce bottle of REAL oil of Lavender.
Instructions:
Pour out enough shampoo from the bottle to make room for the Lavender oil. Pour into the remainder of the shampoo bottle, all the contents of the bottle of the Lavender oil. Shake. The mixture will turn white when it is ready.
Use:
Have the lice or flea ridden child standing in the shower, bathed and shampooed with regular shampoo. Shampoo the child's hair with a palm full of the Lice shampoo. Pile her hair on top and out of her eyes, then tell her to stand there for a full 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, rinse her hair. There will be a ring of dead lice around her. Repeat once more, then rinse. For large animals, you would simply increase the ratio. If you have a large bottle of shampoo concentrate, then check the ounces in it, by the amount of ounces in a normal bottle of baby shampoo and increase the ounces of Oil of Lavender exponentially to add to IT for use with horses, goats, Dogs, etc. The Shampoo also has antibiotic properties, and is good for scalp problems, dandruff, etc., but not recommended for every day, it is strong smelling, and you will smell like a Sunday Church pew full of old ladies if you do!

P.S. unlike the store bought kind of lice killing poisonous stuff, this
does NOT need to be repeated to kill the eggs that hatch. There will be zero eggs to hatch since it kills the eggs as well if left on for the full 5 minutes.

Be sure to purchase an extra couple of bottles of Oil of Lavender, one to add a teaspoonful to the laundry, because you are going to have to wash ALL of your bedding if your child brought home lice from school, and the other to pour into a spritzer bottle full of water to spritz all of your stuffed furniture to kill any lice or eggs that may have fallen there. This same spritzer could be used to spray the walls of stalls, etc. In the case of use on animals.
This mixture is safe for use by those with Porphyria."
Old 05-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We live in an area that is quite sandy....sand fleas line up at the door. My poor dog and cats were being eaten alive by these pests. I had to brush them and vacuum often with an insecticide powder to keep the cycle from continuing. The other thing I tried was. after a suggestion from the health food store owner, sprinkling my pets food with Brewer's yeast. After they ate it for awhile, the fleas didn't like them any more. They'd still jump on our shoes and come in, but my little babies were healthy once again! Their coats seem shinier too. Still have to vacuum, but with the sand I'd have to anyway! (Didn't fix that! LOL).