Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 05-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Best advice I can give is GO to the vet with your cat. Have the vet help you deal with it and give you the best meds for your area.... it's worth it, because it's cheaper in the long run..you get the right advise right from the start....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

One thing I forgot to mention is that Pennyroyal the herb is good to throw under your rugs etc. They also make Pennyroyal shampoos. It runs in the mint family. It has a "minty" smell.
This is if you want to the more natural route.
I don't want to ruffle feathers but I woud not use dish soap on an animal period. I have seen them use things like Dawn on oiled birds/waterfowl but it was very controlled. You can also use
diatomaceous earth on carpets and such for flea control.
Use caution when using ourdoor flea products and letting your animals on it before it dries.
I feel failry comfotable saying these things becasue I was a vet assist for 10 years and I'm also a schooled groomer but have been retired form th animal field for about 10 years. Maybe things have changed but I feel that this is pretty standard advice even now.
Robin in NC
Old 05-21-2003, 04:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Exclamation Fleas on cat

You really, really should get Napster to the vet for a dose of Frontline. He also should be wormed, because fleas cause tapeworms!
Good luck!
Kat (Mom to seven Fur Babies)
Old 05-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

And yes, it's a very good idea to have a vet visit soon for a physical if your kitty is over 6 weeks old.
One thing I also forgot to mention. In bathing your kitty most cats if you you run the water under their feet first and then up on the body will do much better. Also avoid spraying their face. Use a washcloth for that and if you still need a little help try putting an old window screen in the tub for the kitty to sink it's claws into instead of your arm. If using flea soap/dip it's also a good idea to use plain eye ointment to keep the product out of their eyes.
You can also add to their comfort by immersing the products in warm water to take the chill of before appying things like shampoos and dips.
Hope his helps!
Robin
Old 05-21-2003, 08:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Getting Rid of Fleas

Thanks Trish. I will try this. Have to take care of my new baby.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tea Tree Oil is great stuff no argument but be careful about using it full strenght on a kitten/cat. There are feline shampoos made with tea tree oil in them. Just a word of caution, that's all. Next time you have a mosquito bite try rubbing some tee tree oil on the bite... it will stop the itching. Also, be careful using it around the eyes of critters or humans.

Robin in NC
Old 05-21-2003, 09:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Just a little input here. Advantage can be used on kittens over 7 weeks of age and Frontline can be used on kittens over 8 weeks of age. Stay away from flea products made by Hartz. I have seen several very sick kitty's come into the Animal Hospital I work at from being treated with Hartz. If you would like more information on Advantage check out the website nofleas.com and as already mentioned always check with your vet!
Old 05-22-2003, 08:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I agree with the other posts. If you have a real problem, don't bother with the grocery store products. They are not nearly as effective. I used the advantage or frontline on a cat with allergies & it is not as expensive as taking the cat to the vet when it got sick! Also, even with this cat, I did not use it through the colder months when fleas are not much of a problem, so that makes it even more econimical. Also (this would be for after the problem was under controll.) have any of you had experience with using brewers yeast(not baker's yeast)? I heard of that on another thread.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

This method works well when used along with treating the surroundings. It is cheap and can be used on very young babies who would not survive other methods.
Be sure that the room is very warm and that you have thick towels to dry and hold kitty with afterward as they are cold until they are dry.
We have been bathing our kittens with Palmolive anti-bacterial dish soap. I also use this method with a mild shampoo when they do NOT have fleas. I make it much easier on myself by using 2 large pans of warm water, both placed in the bathtub. In one of the dishpans, I add just a couple tablespoons of any anti-bacterial dishsoap. When using any flea shampoo, I use this same method. It dilutes the shampoo enough not to harm the cat and still makes it easy to treat her evenly and thoroughly.
After carefully placing the cat in the "wash" water and getting her wet just wash.Then try to squeegee(with your hand) as much of the wash water off as possible before placing the cat in the "pre-rinse" water. Rinse well. If needed you can use a sprayer made for this.Since kitty is nearly rinsed (or ALL rinsed in the case of a small cat), you don't have to scare them very long with the running water.
You could prob condition as well using this same method.
I start them as kittens so that they are very familiar with being bathed with water even if they never truly like it.:mad:
YOU MUST treat ALL pets and their surroundings or the problem
will NEVER go away.
Attached Images

Exercise is a dirty word!
Every time I say it,
I wash my mouth out with Chocolate!
and rinse with Caramel!
Old 05-23-2003, 06:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I know you must think I'm a stick in the mud but I'd have to
voice an opinion of not using anything on any cat unless it's made for cats and kittens.
Without going into great detail using anti bacterial soaps can actually be a bit dangerous and there have been several articles written on the subject. Using anti bacterial soap kills germs but it also strips the good mantel from the skin.. the protective stuff. It also causes an effect much like the over use of antibiotics. Germs become resistant to it. Dish soap might well kill a flea but it's wreaking havic on the skin. It strips the flea of it's protective outter surface.
Also, I said this before but it's worth repeating.... stay away from grocery store brands and discount brands. You are wasting money. In fact, you may end up spending more because many times you end up with a sick kitty.
And once again, people may have seen dish soap used on oiled water fowl but this is a special controled situation.
Robin