Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 03-22-2003, 05:13 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Old Dogs and Death

Hello, I have a question about dogs that are getting close to their time to die. Has anyone heard that they run off as to leave the "pack" to go die. Our dog who is 14 has dissappeared. He is an indoor dog with a good life, lots of love and a place I thought he loved. I let him out to go potty and he was gone within about 3 minutes. I hope someone can help me understand what is on a dogs mind. Thanks so much. Lisa
Old 03-25-2003, 05:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

lisalives: We too have an old dog who is nearly 14 years old--he's on 4 different meds. 2x/day. He will occasionally "disappear" when we let him out now--something he has never done before--he stayed in the yard perfectly for 13 years and now this!! I don't know if it's some sort of senility or laissez faire attitude or what! I had thought the first time that he had gone off to die, too, but he hadn't. Keep the faith--your friend may return yet!

We have had at least 2 other neighbors I can think of who had elderly dogs who "disappeared" at times too--and they both returned eventually--I really think they get a kind of senility in old age. Good luck. Even though I dread the thought of having to make "the decision" for our pet, I really don't want him going off somewhere by himself--although I suppose that's how wild animals do it.

I hope your friend returns home to you.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks so much for your experience. I hope I get as lucky as you. Lisa
Old 03-25-2003, 05:35 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well my dog is only 4. But my cat who was to be 17 this spring, I had put down in November.

She wasn't acting normal. Constantly meowing. I was going away on vacation and knew that it would be difficult for someone to watch her, since she was basically an outdoor cat.

I let her in to feed her and she went upstairs - when she was a kitten we had her in an unfinished bedroom. She wanted to go back to the bedroom. So I gave her her last meal. I put her in a box to take her to the vet. Normally she'd scratch to get out. She just sat there. I closed the box in the car thinking she'd jump out. She didn't. So I opened it. All the way to the vet she just sat there, not howling because she was in the car. She must of known. Well the vet put her down, I stayed. I felt like I was an evil person. The vet assured me she lived a long life. I took her back to my parents house and my mom buried her.

Well sorry, you asked about your dog. Is he one to chase an animal (cat, squirrel, rabbit)? Someone didn't grab him? Not to put bad thoughts in your mind, but around here a while back dogs were dissapearing - I guess for testing/research reasons.

Since you posted did you ever find your dog?
Old 06-18-2003, 07:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing My old doggie!

Hello, I am so sorry I never responded to your letter. I really do appriciate the support. I am really new to this way of posting and communicating with others so I don't have it figured out yet. But I do love this site. I always read it and use the recipes.

No, Jake never did come back. I think he went to his resting grounds.

Bye, Lisa
Old 06-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Your old dog may have done you a HUGE favor by "taking care of things" himself.

We had to put down our old friend at the end of April. It was one of the hardest things we've ever had to do.

We just got back pictures today that we took of him on his final day. I thought I was pretty well over his death until I saw those. I started sobbing all over again. My kids ask "mom, when are you going to stop crying about Murphy?". It's SO hard.

I hope your friend is at peace now.

rivermom
Old 06-20-2003, 10:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Murphy

Hello! Thanks so much for your letter. My heart goes out to you. Dogs become a true member of the family. I am not ready to move in another dog but I have been dog babysitting. It seems to have filled in the perfect hole. Take care and know your doggie is in peace and no pain. Good luck to you. LIsa