Companion Bird Rescue

• Hello,
    I'm interested in doing some companion bird rescue. I know there are big organizations that do this but I'm just me wanting to help one bird a at time. I'd especailly like to help birds that have been displaced for reasons like death, illness, allergies etc. Not that I'd turn other birds away.
    My kids want to expand the rescue effort to include small furries like g. pigs, rabbits, gliders, ferrets etc.
    Does anyone have and expereince in this area?
    I've got expereince with birds/animals but it's been along time and I've lost most of my contacts. I'm working on doing some refresher kind of things and trying to see what has advanced and what is new.
    Obviously, this could turn into a overwhelming interest so I'd have to have a limit but I need a place to start. I've tried to contact local groups and facilites but just sort of got the run around or they weren't interested. I know there is a need. I just need to find it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • Contact your local animal shelter and they should be able to lead you in the direction that would be more than willing to assist you in finding what you are looking for.