Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 03-17-2003, 06:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Any ferret owners?

I noticed that there wasn't a thread started regarding ferrets. So........who owns.....er.....excuse me.......who is OWNED BY a ferret or ferrets? LOL
We are currently owned by 3 girls, Sprinky, Molly, and Lilly.
Hunter (12)
Tucker (10)
Tanner (8)
Isabella (5)
Old 03-22-2003, 02:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ferrets

My son Danny has a ferret, Skeezix, and she is SO sweet!
We wanted to be Foster Parents but they said we would have to get rid of our Dangerous Exotic! LOL
She has NEVER even thought about biting anyone!
Laurie;-)

Stang Home And Loving It!
Old 03-22-2003, 02:37 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We just got Oberon two weeks ago, then fell in love with Firefly a week ago Friday and added her to the family. They reside in a for story cage on wheels that we got at Petsmart.com. If you shop online be sure to try them out. Ordered the cage on Monday at about 5 PM and it was delivered on Wed about noon. It even came BEFORE the email that said they shipped it! I was ver pleased. Plus we got a discount of 20% off. Saved a bundle.

Ferrets are great. Trying to litter train them.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Greetings! We don't currently have any ferrets but I've owned three in the past. All were rescues. It was strange to see this post. I was in the animal field for a very long time and did every thing from being a vet asst. to going to grooming school to wildlife rehab. I got out of it to start and have a family. Well, my kids are starting to get to be a good age to have resposiblity and my youngest will start Kindergarten this Fall. My kids have showed a interest in animals so I decided the best way to teach them is hands on.
In my opinion the best way to do this was to do rescue work. Rather than buying creatures we have alerted a couple rescue groups we'd like to help. My love is birds but my kids really like the little fuzzies (g.pigs. rabbits, gliders, etc) including ferrets. I have even offered to take in a chicken or duck if needed.
I don't want to buy from a pet store becasue so many of them support wild caught creatures and support the massive breeding farms. This is where so many of the problems come in.
I'm trying to refresh and learn again. Since I had my ferrets and many other pets I'm sure there have been many new findings and better ways of doing things. If anyone has good info to share please pass it along.
I hope to see many more posts on the subject. I'm always looking for good conversation on the subject.

Old 03-22-2003, 06:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re: Any ferret owners?

Quote:
Originally posted by BusyMom5x
I noticed that there wasn't a thread started regarding ferrets. So........who owns.....er.....excuse me.......who is OWNED BY a ferret or ferrets? LOL
We are currently owned by 3 girls, Sprinky, Molly, and Lilly.

Just wanted to share that we have added 2 boys (Ripley & Scout) that we rescued from a very neglectful environment.
We've had them checked over by our vet, bathed them, and they are on their way to becoming very spoiled little boys!
Hunter (12)
Tucker (10)
Tanner (8)
Isabella (5)
Old 03-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Congratulations on your new additions! My three ferrets were rescues and they were sure sweet! Seemed like they knew I was there to help them.
Robin in NC
Old 03-22-2003, 07:09 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

My sister in law has one - cosmo.

It bit my mother in law.

I don't care for it only because my
sil takes it everyplace and lets
it walk on the tables where I eat
and where food is sitting out.

Other than that, he mostly
just sleeps and is very
quiet.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ferrets are like having a kitten except they don't grow up. They can be a bit nippy but this doesn't mean they are mean. They play bit too! It's really funny to see them dance across the floor and make silly noises at you. Sometimes it's almost as if they are laughing! I don't think I would apprecaite them on the table where I prepared or ate my food especially since most use a litter box but other than that mine pretty much had the run of the house as long as I was watching them. It's been years since I owned any but I sort of miss them and my kids are beggin for one. I figure sooner or later one will come that needs to be rescued. Good things come to those who wait. Robin
Old 03-23-2003, 05:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi....
I had two ferrets, Mowgli (a male) and Lila (female). Mowgli passed after three months, pnumonia. Lila and I missed him so that DH bought another . I named her Drogeda. They are both gone now. but I had them for several years before they passed. They were packrats. I would sweep under the couch. They would hide milk bottle caps, sox, mittens and a box of cookies. I even watched Drogeda drag DH work boot under. It was hysterical!
I bathed them in the sink under running water while under the fawcett they wouldn't move a muscle, but try to dry them! Finally I learned to wrap them each in a towel and put them back in thier
cage where they would frolick till the towel was wet , change to dry one.To cut thier nails, put a drop or two of cooking oil on thier lower tummy,set the little guy in your lap, use a pair of fingernail nippers to snip them. They are so occupied with licking the oil that you can usually get them all snipped. Add more oil if needed.

mem123
Old 03-24-2003, 10:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ferrets

How about a former ferret Mom? My ferret-named Garrett-was an albino who loved to play "ambush" with my kitties. He would hide and then come running out and chase after them. Too cute!!!

Someday I hope to have another ferret, but right now my "ark" is full with 9 cats and 1 dog.

Pam