Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 03-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My husband and I are also owned by a ferret. We had 2 but my baby Sheba died. She was a female that we had for over 8 years. She has been gone about 1 1/2 years now and I could still cry sometimes from missing her.

Our current ferret Rascal we have had almost 3 years and he is adorable (proud parent;-) ) We have always let the ferrets run loose in the house but this is now causing a problem.

We bought a new house a year ago and Rascal thinks the whole house is his personal litter box. He used to go on paper real good but since buying the house he just goes any where he please. In front of closet doors, in the living room, in our bathroom, just where ever he is at the time that's where he goes. We would never get rid of him but I am afraid that he will probably be our last. We both love ferrets very much but he is ruining our house.

As you can tell we are both very much owned by the Ferret.

Proud parent of Rascal,

Lynn
Old 03-25-2003, 10:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lynn,
How about containing Rascal to just one or two rooms until he's paper-trained again?
Hunter (12)
Tucker (10)
Tanner (8)
Isabella (5)
Old 03-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well, at least you won't have mice! I've heard that Ferret
droppings make excellent mouse deterent!
What's the chance of litter box training him? I've always had great success with litter boxes. I put them where the ferrets would mark the spot and then put some of the old droppings in the box so they would know the scent. I use PineFresh Litter and really like it. Good Luck! Robin in NC

Old 03-26-2003, 06:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ahh....Litter box training - such fun.

When we first got our ferrets we had them together in a parrot cage, I heard about litter training so I put in a cardboard box. Overnight success!!!

Now their cage is here, everythings out the window! Two litterboxes...that hook to ther cage bars - Firefly gets under the lower one and flips it! The upper one is totally ignored.

We put in litter...they roll and dig.

We put in shredded newspaper...its a field day!

Any ideas?

The guy at the petshop said to line the shelves with fleece (bedding) and they wont dirty it. I am going to give it a try.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:05 AM
missmouse

I have one girl now. Her name is Eve. She is so much fun. She loves to chase the cats and to sneak up on my ****er spaniel and grab her butt. The dog is usually looking in the last spot the ferret disappeared. I would love to get another ferret but I am wondering how you go about introducing them to each other. Has anyone encountered problems I should be aware of? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I've not ever had problems with having more than one ferret but I introduced them at a distance and then they would spend a little floor time together and then if all went well they could room together. Just make sure you have a large enough cage and make sure that they have play toys and hammicks and plenty of things to climb on and run through and to hide under.

Robin in NC

Old 03-27-2003, 01:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

Well DH has decided to get out the big cage and put the Rascal in the cage while we are at work and at night. We will let him run while we are home and awake.

We are bringing the cage in Saturday and then it is major house cleaning. We have some skunk be gone that DH bought from a taxidermy supply company so the floors will be getting a good dose of that as well. I kind of hate to put him in the cage but it is a rather large two story cage so he will have plenty of room.

As for introducing another ferret our experience was not a positive one. We had my female for 6 years before acquiring Rascal and she hated him. He was twice her size but very gentle and he would let her beat up on him. She would go for the throat everytime they were out together. We had to have one in the cage and one running loose when we had both of them. We would let one out during the day and one out at night. But it was probably because she had been the only one for so long. I have heard lots of other owners say they have several and they all get along very well together. Good luck introducing your ferrets.

Will keep you posted on how Rascal does going back to the cage after a year of complete freedom.

Lynn
Old 07-29-2003, 04:09 AM
Nine Year Member

Hello ferret owners!!! I just came across this thread. My dd has a ferret. Cute little rascal. Her name is Alaska, but we call her Lassie.

She sleeps in her cage, but loves to run and roam. She never bit anyone. She play bites. Nips a little when you play with her.

We have only had her for about 6 months. Can anyone give me any feeding ideas other than the purchased dry food.

Oh, and also. She will not use her litter box!!!

Lauri

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 07-29-2003, 05:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

So gald you decided to write....
Ferrets are sort of like owning kittens that never grow up.
Their diet is very important.... ferrets are true carnivores and should not be given fruits and veggies..... a good quality food is what you want.....looking at a recent survey of ferret and cat comparisons I'd say Zupreem Premium Ferret Diet, Eucanuba Vet. Diet Max. Caloie Feline are probably a couple of the better rated foods.....IMHO you should limit treats....and be careful what you give them.... ferrets seem to have sensitive GI tracts.... or at least mine do... some ferret treats give mine diarrhea fairly easy as well as stress doing the same....
Try to keep your ferrets cool. We live in a 100 year old house and ther is no A/C. On hot humid days I give ice water in bowls and some of the frozen ice packs in their cages and even have one of the tiny little wading pools with just a little water for them to play in at free time.
As far as litter boxes go.... make sure it is big enough and put in the corner.....try different litters.....some ferrets just never do learn to use a litter pan or at least in my experience....many prefer just the corner and some paper..
Make sure you have a big enough cage... too often pets are in too small of housing. They also need toys and a variety of places to sleep. Ferrets also love tunnels! Use bedding such as Aspen or Carefresh. Don't use Cedar and be careful of Pine products.
A word or two of precaution. Ferrets are very curious and love to explore... make sure there are no dangers... they will find them. Try to always supervise your ferret while she is out. There are curtain to climb, cords to chew, holes to explore ( mine went under my desk and got up into it with the drawers shut! They also have got up into our gas heater and can get up in the chair and couch from underneath.)
Ferrets are also preditors so if you have birds or small mammals beware!
As far as nipping... make sure you are not making it a game. Don't hand play with them around their face such as gently tapping them or grabbing their head to play.
Ferrets love to steal and hide things so if you are missing socks or the remote.... get down on your hands and knees and have fun!
Ferrets love to water play but don't bathe too often with a soap product. This causes the oils to kick in and that is where the odors come from.
We own 4 and soon to get three more.....
Hope this helps!
Robin in NC
Old 07-29-2003, 06:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

ferrets

I am sure I will receive negative feed back for this but we have never been able to get our ferrets to eat ferret food. The ferret book I got said you could feed them Kitten chow and that is the only thing my ferrets would ever eat. My Brother in law has a ferret and that is all he will eat as well. I also give my ferret grapes for treats. He loves them and they don't give him a belly ache at all. I know there are as many different opinions on how to raise ferrets as there are ferret owners but we have had ferrets in our lives and in our homes now for over 10 years and have never had trouble with feeding them fruit but you will just have to see how your ferrets deal with different foods. We do not overload him with treats 1 or 2 a day and that may be the difference as well. Our ferret also loves potato chips again this is a very rare treat but occasionally when we are eating chips we let him have 1 or 2.

Just my opinion,

Lynn