traveling with a dog - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 12-26-2002, 10:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

traveling with a dog

we made a big move last year from GA to MT with my dog. but when we lived in ga we went on small vactions like everyweekend and my best friend in the whole world would just stay at our house for the weekend. now that i live in mt i dont know what to do, i know none of my hubby to be family will stay here and i am not sure about boarding her up... i think they abuse them....

what am i going to do we are planning to really big week trips one to vegas in feb or march and one to disney land in cali in sept or oct

i think i am way to attached to my dog what to do?
Old 12-27-2002, 06:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We take our dogs with us when we travel to see family, but other than that we have to put them in the kennel at our vet's office. Does your vet also have kenneling facilities on the premises? That's the best advice I can give is to find a vet (or group of vets that are together in practice) that you like and trust with a staff that you like and trust and good kennel facilites on the premises. The vets we use will let you tour the kennel at any time, have different size runs available, are very thorough in the information that you fill out when you kennel your pets (food, meal times, fears, emergency contact info, etc.), and have someone on the premises at all times 24 hours a day to ensure the animals' safety. They take the animals out several times a day in a safe area to potty and play.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

thank you for the advice, we have not lived her long and i have only taken her to one vet and i didnt like them much... she is almost due for her next shoots so i will be looking around for another vet...and i will check that out also

thanks so much
Old 12-29-2002, 08:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I would try contacting the high school counselor. They usually know of animal lovers, high school student, who would be more than happy to dog sit for you. Or you might try a local animal shelter. Again, they probably know lots of people who would be happy to watch your dog.

You can never be too attached to a dog or a pet! We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, a rabbit, 2 parakeets, a hamster and 4 aquariums!
Old 12-29-2002, 08:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I too live in Montana, as I don't know where you are I'll let you know about our Vet. The business name is Pet Vet, and she is extremely good. She is located in Lewistown, if you are anywhere near give her a call, and if you are not I'm sure a local vet in your area can refer you to someone. By the way we to are relocaties from the south--Virginia. We have been here a little over four years, Welcome to Montana!!
Old 12-29-2002, 09:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

If she travels well, why not just take her with? We have an 11-year-old beagle that we take with us on every major trip. Most major travel booking sites have "pets welcome" or "pets allowed" as one of the amenities you can choose from when searching for a hotel to stay in. Some hotels even offer in-house kenneling while you're out enjoying the sights that the pups aren't allowed in. Your dog would be with you overnights and maybe even at some of the places you're wanting to go (say, the beach in SoCal?). We've never had a problem with traveling with our dog (even internationally!), so if you can swing it, I'd say it's the way to go! Then you can truly relax and enjoy!!

BTW, there's no such thing as being TOO attached to your pup!

- Henry Rowland
Old 12-29-2002, 09:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My 13-year-old Rhodesian Ridgeback comes with as often as possible. Even has her own seat-belt safety harness so she can't get hurt in a sudden turn or stop. Here's a website with loads of information about traveling with pets, including places that are dog-friendly.

And yes -- you can never be too attached to your dog!

http://www.dogfriendly.com/

Blessings --

GramZ
Old 12-29-2002, 10:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

If finances (or other matters) don't allow your pet to travel with you...don't be afraid to ask your future in-laws if they would pup sit...you never know, some one may just say yes! Afterall it will be good practice for babysitting down the road (LOLOL!)

Contact your local Humane Society for a referal to a good Vet or a respectable boarding kennel. They know who to steer you away from.

Another pet-sitting option may be a neighbor. I have keys to my neighbor's home and sit for her dog all the time. I don't stay over, but I walk, feed and play with her dog throughout the days when she is away for an overnight. I'm willing to do it whenever she wants me to. It keeps her pup company. She in turn takes my daughter off the school bus when I am running late. We watch out for each other.

Perhaps you could find a like-minded neighbor you could trust as well.

If trust is a bit of a sticky point, perhaps simply locking up your valuables and sensitive materials while you're gone would give you peace of mind... If you're really sensitive about the security of handing your keys over to a neighbor, you could always change your locks afterwards, and they'd never know the difference, so you wouldn't even risk offending them. (It's $15.00 and a half hours effort if you do it yourself.)

I hope you find a solution. You shouldn't have to agonize over the well-being of your beloved pet in order to devote yourself to the relationship with your beloved fiance.

Good luck finding a solution that works for all of you.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re: traveling with dogs

I never never put my dogs into kennels. I know there are some really good ones, but I just don't feel good about caging them. When we go away, I have a pet sitter who comes to the house twice a day to feed them, play with them, etc. She brings in the mail and newspapers, waters my plants, cleans up the yard, and feeds our fish.

You can check with Pet Sitters International (they have a website) or your local phone book. Pet sitters have a wonderful way of connecting to each other, so if the one you call doesn't serve your area, they can usually refer you to one who does.

Just be sure they are licensed, bonded and insured, and check their references.

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:49 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Traveling With A Dog

We travel with two children. A two footed and a four footed. What I do is contact the place where we will be staying and ask them if they can recommend boarders. We go camping every year with Tara and board her if we know we cant' take her with us. It is also a very safe idea because we all know that hot cars do kill. We have boarded her one nite and have had no problems. Even though she doesn't understand it sometimes.
In answer to your question? No, your dog is like your child. You are attached to it and it is attached to you. It is a part of you. Unlike some people who consider them disposable. Like a diaper. Which angers me to know end who do do this. But that is another story in of itself.
We are traveling to Gettysburg next summer and do know that she is not allowed on the grounds and we do know that cannon and gunshots will make her nuts. Good luck with the travel plans.