traveling with a dog - Page 2 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 12-30-2002, 06:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Traveling with dog

I live with two feline companions. If I cannot bring them with me or arrange for a trusted friend or family member to sit them, I do not go anywhere. They are my son and daughter and at all costs I would never leave them anywhere or with anyone I cannot trust.

I look at my companions as children. Wouldn't any parent find a hotel/motel where children can stay? I am certain you can find a place for all of you to stay. Have a wonderful time.

Old 01-06-2003, 11:51 AM

have dogs...will travel

We have 3 dogs, 1 is a puppy we just got last year 2002. In 2001 we drove from Columbus, Ohio to Jekyll Island, Ga with 2 (a chi/terrier 18 lbs. and a Akita/shephard 58 lbs. in our truck. We got a hotel book from AAA about hotels that are animal friendly and this helped alot in where we stayed. All along our route the rest stop areas had dog areas for dogs to do their business, a couple even provided doggie bag stations We took bottled water so that our dogs and us wouldn't get sick from strange water. When we had to go in to restataunts we left the truck running with AC on and locked and we took food to go. We have family in town but we don't trust anyone but ourselves to take care of our babies, accidents do happen and I would find it very hard to forgive someone elses carelessness if my babies got hurt or lost. you can never love your dogs too much. they love us unconditionally no matter what we look like, what color our skin is and what handicap we may have, they are in my opinion a wonderful gift from god. Our new baby is a beagle/dachund mix, what a darling sweetheart she is. Hope this helps.

Anna
Old 01-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

april....

If your dog is used to riding in the car, then it shouldn't be a problem to take the dog with you. Hopefully your dog is crate trained...and it is usually not a problem with motels if you have a crate to take the dog inside the room with you.

You have to bring your dog's dishes and food...and I suggest you use bottled water. A change of water can bring on diarrahea.

You didn't mention the breed of dog....that would be helpful to advise you.....

If you haven't made contact with a vet in your area now is the time to do so. Check your dog's vaccinations, they should be up to date whether or not you take the dog with you. Many vets have boarding facilities, so check around with vets in your area.
If your vet doesn't board animals, he will know who does and who is reliable.

We have traveled with 2 grown 100 lb german shepherds without problem... but then our dogs are thoroughly trained. We travel often and they are welcome wherever we go. If some one does not accept our dogs, they are perfectly content to stay in my Suburban...

So tell us how big your dog is, If your dog is crate trained, when you are planning your trip...and maybe we can help you to either travel with your dog, or find the right boarding facility.

Jeannie

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."