Problem with a C o c ker Spaniel - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 12-04-2002, 03:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Problem with a C o c ker Spaniel

My dog is a ****er spaniel and she is 3. She never listens and she hasnt yet mastered the world of potty training. She also has this infactuation with our cats. She constantly is on top of them and we have tried to fix all this but havent yet accomplished. My mother has her heart set on keeping this dog but its bad when the dog ruins everything instead of the cats. Does anyone have any way I can try to improve my situation..I need input before I go and get a new dog behind my moms back for xmas.
- Dazed n' Confused!
Old 12-15-2002, 08:01 AM
New Neighbor
FamilyCorner Newbie

****er Spaniel

Good luck with that. ****ers are notoriously inept potty trainers. I have had several ****ers - and everytime they get excited in the least, the flood gates were open. As far as listening goes, i never had too much problem with that. Try obedience school or get one of the books on dog training from Barbara Woodhouse maybe.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

****er spaniels and beagles are notorius for being difficult to house break.....

You have several problems going on here at one time....
Crate training does wonders for helping to house break a dog..

There are, on occasion, dogs that refuse to house break...we, in the dog trade, call them 'dirty dogs'...and they are relegated to living outdoors.

Dog training, that is basic obedience, solves many problems.. But your dog is 3 and also has been allowed to get away with her bad behaviors.. I suggest you contact a competent dog trainer. One who trains with positive AND negative reinforcement.

I'm sure you also have a grooming expense with this dog.

So you must weigh all your options...

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 12-16-2002, 06:52 AM

Dog Training

I am assuming when you say get your mom a new dog for christmas that you intend to get rid of the current dog. Please, try to get training for it, after visiting shelters several times over the years, it just breaks my heart to see those poor babies in there waiting for someone to adopt them. you say he humps the cats, humping is usually a sign of dominating more so than a sexual durative. We have 3 dogs all spayed when they were babies and all at one time or another have humped the other ones, trying to show who is alpha - it's a toss up right now since we just got a new puppy in Feb. If the dog won't potty outside, try to paper train-reinforce good behavior with "cookie" treats, they usually get it. Good luck, I hope you can save the dog.
Anna
Old 12-16-2002, 10:18 AM
BoggsZ

I have a ****er and she is house trained I keep her in a dog crate when we are not home and at night she does real well an accident once in a while but not to bad try the crate training you will be surprised I was. Good luck
Old 12-16-2002, 10:29 AM

PrettyPrincess

one more thought... I have learned from experience, NEVER surprise someone with a pet. We got my inlaws a nice dog from the pound, thought they would be so happy and they made us take it back. they didn't want the responsibility of a pet again. We would have kept it ourselves but lived in a apt. at the time that wouldn't allow pets. So, if you really feel you must give a pet, give a gift certificate so that you can pick one out as a family.

Anna
Old 12-17-2002, 11:24 AM
missmouse

I have two ****ers and I have a dream that some day they will be housebroke. They are crate trained but my female sleeps with me at night and she is bad about sneaking downstairs to potty. As far as the misbehaving goes they are also notorious for being brats. I think it is because they are just soooo cute when they are puppies that it is hard to discipline them. The good news is that they are extremely food motivated so they can be bribed into good behavior. The cat issue is really funny for me because me female ****er has her own kitty. She and the cat are best friends and go everywhere together. They even escape out of the fence and go for walks together. She is really rough with him and uses him as her squeaky toy. She also mounts him when she is getting ready to go into heat.Has your dog been spayed? This could help a lot. Especially in the attitude department. Well Good Luck and let us know what you end up doing.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Down Syndrome Dog

I had a dog - Brittany Spaniel - who was never house broken and always tore something up when left alone. I think she might have been retarded. Maybe too inbred. That is a major problem with buying ****erspaniels right now, too much inbreeding. My ****er mix was a snap to house break and learned tricks very quickly. If your dog is 3 and still giving problems, I doubt it is correctable. Could she/he be an outside dog? Also, when my dog was young, I would crate her in a large open mesh metal crate so she wouldn't have accidents, whatever whenever I left her for long. It really helped. Also, your dog can actually be put on anti-depressive medicine (even Valium) to calm them down. It works.

By the way, did you know that you can get virtually any dog medicine over the Internet at 1/3 to 1/2 off? I just saved about $60.00 on my dog's heartworm and flea preventative. Six months of generic heart guard was less then $20.00!!!! (postage paid).(40+ pound dog - needs to be on a diet but she is on her last legs and I can't refuse her anything as she has so little spunk left in her. Just breaks my heart). There are several companies to choose from. One is a lot cheaper then the other. So check around. Also, very fast shipment. Love to save that money. My vet has offerred to meet the Internet price which makes me angry as it means he is charging his customers different prices depending on how savvy thet are.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Down Syndrone Dog

I don't know where those *****'s came from. Not my typing though.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm sorry but I find the title "down syndrome doggie?" very offensive. Bad choice of words!