Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 02-10-2002, 06:18 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Question Inexpensive fish tanks

I used to have a fish tank, but it's been a while. So I no longer have any of the gear I would need. Anyone have any ideas for starting up a new tank for minimal cost? I would prefer not to have to spend a fortune getting started.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-11-2002, 08:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

It depends what kind of fish you are getting what kind of tank you'll need. If you get something like little tetra's a 5 gallon will be great but if you are getting something like a Koi you would need a 35 gallon +.
I would suggest an acrylic seemless tank for small fish. We got one not to long ago for the baby guppies a 5 gallon at wal-mart. Tank, filter & inserts, and lights for under $50.00. You will also need gravel. I use the beach rock that has been cleaned carefully, some hiding spots for your fish be it rocks, shells or a castle, and some greenery be it a live plant or a plastic one. And a heater.
To get the most of your tank space get 3 different kinds of fish for the 3 levels of your tank. I'll explain: fish with their mouths facing up spend more time near the surface like fighting fish, the ones with their mouths centered live in the middle of the tank like mollies, ones with their mouths on the bottom live at the bottom of your tank like a catfish/pleco. For every inch of fish a gallon of water if they are tall fish like angel fish add a gallon for every inch of height.
It is also economical to make your own tank from saftey glass and silicon. Then you can build it to match a corner or to fit in an area that you would like. My uncle built one into an old 70's floor model tv case, looks beautiful.

Becarefull getting your fish, don't buy any fish that come from a tank that has a dead fish in it. If that fish has died from ick or something like that it's all through the tank.

You should also get a large bucket just for the fish water nothing else. You do not have to but the chemicals to add to your tank to remove this that and the otherthing just pour cold water in your bucket and let stand for 1-2 days before adding to your tank. In all the time I worked in a pet store we never once used the chemicals, most of the time we just used tap water right from the tap.
break down on a 5 gallon
tank, cover and filter 50.oo
heater 10.00
decorations???? 10.00 if that
Gravel 5.00

If you check your local newspaper you can always find used aquariums in them for sale. Cuts down on the cost.

We have a 50 gallon that we paid 200.00 just for the tank alone no canopy, lights filter nothing and that was on sale from 300.
So it can get very expensive before you know it.
The 38 gallon we have was 250.oo for everything, on sale.
the 25 gallon was 200.oo for all.
the 2 20 gallon tanks were free
Fish are also addicting
have fun
Old 02-13-2002, 04:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

starting up a tank

Your start up is going to be somewhat expensive at first, with tank, gravel, heater, decorations and fish, but if you buy live plants your up keep is much less. If you get a few snails with your plants (usually come with the plants unbeknownst (sp?) to store or you) you have a natural algae eatter! We have a 30 gal and try to make the tank as natural as possible. Plants can cost $.99 - $4 at a local petstore or more online or specialized stores. Make sure you have a strong enough light for most plants though. The clean up is easy to minimal if plants are healthy. We have had a lot of sucess with Amazon Swords and have had several that produced babies, which we replanted. Also, buy only 2 or 3 fish at a time, any more can throw your system out of balence. Give it a week or two before you buy more. The less you have to buy chemicals to keep up your tank the better!

Betsey
Old 07-04-2002, 12:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello All,
I'm new here, but I just bought a 10 gallon aquarium setup with everything included except gravel and decorations from Petsmart for $59.99 and I got the stand from Wal-Mart for $24.99. I decided to start with the 10 gal to see how it goes with the kids and becuase it has been a while since I had fish, but I eventually want a 55 gallon tank. I've got my eye on this 55 gallon setup complete with a wooden cabinet stand that I saw at one of our neighborhood pet stores for $219.00 I think that's a really good deal
Old 07-08-2002, 07:27 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

The coolest aquarium that I've ever seen was in a huge water bottle. A friend of mine made it and it had live plants, a filter and everything. It was really neat. You might look into one of those water co. bottles Amanda if you haven't already bought an aquarium. If you've had one before you basically know what to do to start one. I think my friend used a long poker of sorts to poke the plants down in the gravel.....I hadn't thought of it, but I guess changing the water would be kinda tough....hhhhmmmm. Ok never mind!
Old 12-26-2002, 10:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

i used to work for a fish store a long time ago and we are thinking about starting up a fish tank but my hubby to be wants a 50 gal fish tank

so i am just getting some ideas, this site is great!!!!
Old 01-15-2003, 06:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lightbulb

We found a 100 gallon tank for only 20.00...........with all the filters, etc..... I have used liquid nails to make my own decorations from rocks, bottles, plastic plants, etc...
Our fish are mostly the 10-for-a-dollar feeder fish. Guppies or platties are the most common. These fish also breed quickly, and I now have a tank full!
We didn't like the look...or cost of pet store gravel...and bought small round rock from Home Depot.

Old 01-18-2003, 07:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Amanda, there is a wonderful online retailer called Big Al's that sells things very cheap (http://www.bigalsonline.com) ... if you haven't already bought stuff, email me and I'll let you know how I started mine rather cheaply using a local fish store and Big Al's..... you are already ahead if you have your old tank! Also there is a great fish forum on MSN ... Angie and Andrew's Aquatics ...

HTH~Dawn
Old 07-04-2008, 08:23 PM

Wow, nobody has been here in a long time.

Do you all still have your fish tanks? I used to have a 20 gal octogon shapped tank. That was pretty neat.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson