Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 10-31-2002, 01:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Fleas

Thanks to everyone for their wonderful help and hints on how to rid our home of fleas. I certainly will try the Borax...silly me....:p and I thought it was only for laundry! We are still fighting this battle; and even tho we have treated both Misti and Mike with Frontline and bathing them every few days; I am still scrubbing the floors almost everyday, trying to get up any flea eggs, etc that might be on the floor! (I even change water for every room!) But, there still seems to be no end in sight. Misti only goes outside when Nature calls, and Mike never...so just no idea how there can be so many pests in here anymore! My mother inlaws house is infested also, (that is where we got them!) and I am wondering if perhaps she is bringing them to our house when she visits? At any rate, we will not give up...and next year, both pets will be treated with Advantage before the fleas get started.
Thanks again all for your wonderful advice. you all and this site! One tired old granny that is too pooped to anymore!
Old 11-01-2002, 07:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Pray for a freeze!

Pray for a freeze and make your mother in law treat as well or don't have her over! just kidding about that of course!

TX Chef Fran
Old 07-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Mystery Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Glad I found this. I was going to ask about fleas and Borax. Was thinking that Borax killed fleas when sprinkled around the house. Will pick some up this weekend as our dogs have fleas. They have had flea shampoos, flea collars and Hartz flea monthly treatment and we still have them, grrrr.

What is the best thing to treat yards?

Can You Guess?

To return to the Guess Who Game or learn how to play this fun game click here!

Who is our Mystery Guest this week? Take a guess!
click here to submit your guess!
Please remember to submit only one guess per day. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Natural Flea Treatment
I live on 7 acres in the country. I have 3 cats, 2 dogs and ended up with a litter of 5 kittens that were abandoned. I have a pesticide free solution, but the regiment has to be consistent.

For the dogs, I bathe them once a week with a mixture of Dawn dish detergent and lavender shampoo. After the bath, I comb a little mixture of olive oil, Avon Skin So Soft and water through their fur to keep their skin from drying and they smell really good. The Avon Skin So Soft repels, but does not kill fleas.

Then, I use a mixture of 1 tsp pure Lavender Food Grade Essential Oil, 1 tsp Avon Skin So Soft, fill 1/3 of an 8.4oz spray bottle with alcohol and then add warm water and shake. I spray and comb this through their fur daily. I also feed them 1/2 tsp twice daily of minced garlic mixed with dry and a little bit of canned dog food.

I dust the yard where the dogs run with diatomaceous earth DE (FOOD GRADE ONLY! Ordered from Amazon.com NEVER NEVER NEVER SWIMMING POOL STUFF - SWIMMING POOL GRADE IS EXTREMELY TOXIC AND POISONOUS). This kills the fleas on the ground and fleas are repelled with the other treatments and my dogs are not ingesting pesticides or absorbing them through their skin with the spot on types. You can also give your pets DE food grade and rid them of internal parasites naturally. Read up on diatomateous earth. Just do not breathe the dust, it can hurt your lungs because it is a very fine dust and a cutting substance.

Cats are different and VERY sensitive to many things due to their digestive system make up.

I bathe them once a week with Dawn and use the very same treatments with them as with the dogs EXCEPT...I DO NOT use lavender shampoo or essential oil. Lavender oil is toxic to them and so is peppermint oil. I ONLY use Avon Skin So Soft, alcohol and water mix to comb through their fur. I only use Dawn to bathe them and use a bucket where they can be dipped and bathed with their head sticking out.

NEVER give cats garlic. It damages their red blood cells.

I know this is a whole lot of work. It can be at first. That is why it is good to get the whole family involved in helping with this and if not, once you are in the routine and the pets are used to it, it is a snap.

Use whatever methods you feel comfortable with. I used Comfortis for my dogs and Advantage for my cats, but do not like the reviews on the toxins in them. They are pesticides and we are giving our pets pesticides. I just stopped doing it.

To sum all of this up, I took my litter of kittens to the vet and as he combed through all 5 of them with a flea comb, he only found 2 single fleas on ALL 5 kittens and absolutely NO eggs. He even asked me what I was using. The 2 fleas could have jumped on them while I was waiting 15 minutes in the waiting room for the appointment. Even if they had 2 fleas, I can assure you, the fleas were not going to hang out for long. :-)

As for the house, I have wood floors instead of carpet which helps, but when I lived in Florida with the TERMINATOR flea population, I did use Borax in the carpet, Lysol and/or Alcohol sprayed all over the furniture on a regular basis. I also used Frontline/Advantage and Comfortis then. I would no longer use Frontline/Advantage or Comfortis now other than maybe initially to get the flea problem under control only. They contain pesticides we are giving to our pets. I totally prefer the natural method described above. Also, if you treat your yard on a regular basis, the flea problem should go away providing that you have already treated and rid your home of the little pesty things. Everything has to pretty much be accomplished together in order to get it down to the yard treatment and pet treatment only.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I didn't see this posted, but put garlic powder in the pets' food as well as the humans. Vitamin B or B Complex or Stress Tabs will also keep the fleas from biting you and your beloved pets as you and your pets will taste too bad and the fleas will go elsewhere. lol

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!