Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dog scratching

I have adopted a wonderful Shih-tzu, we've had her since August. She is the most well behaved dog we've ever had, but she does have one problem, she sneezes pretty often, and she scratches also. I have her on Frontline, and she does not have fleas, but she scratches. I've checked to see if any red spots but I don't see any. What could this be, should I try a special type of shampoo or what? Could this be allergies, I've just got layed off my job so any helpful money saving suggestions would be helpful. She's fine when she's asleep, which is most of the time, but when she's awake & just laying there she will start scratching. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:08 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I'm glad you posted this. I don't have a solution, I have the same problem with my GSD. She scratches all the time, it drives me batty. She has rubbed hair thin in certain spots too. I was reading a little about allergies and stuff, but didn't find anything definite. I also have Angel on Frontline, and she does not have any fleas.

Hoping we get some advice.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 10-12-2002, 09:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

it could be allergies. i read on another board about dogs who would scratch and lick themselves after coming in from outside. they were licking and scratching so much that they were pulling out hair. a couple of them were put on pescription meds and a couple others were put on bendryl. you would need to see the vet about either medications to make sure that really is the problem and to get the correct dosage.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Two thoughts on this ;-) I hope one of these helps.
1: Some dogs have dry skin and scratch continously. Bath them in Selsen Blue ( human ) shampoo or Head and Shoulder shampoo . Work up a lather , leave on dogs at least 2 min. Then Rinse well.

Some dogs do have allergies and Vets. can prescribe a Cortestone type pill taken daily. They are very cheap and easy to give.

Another thing is if they have a HOT sopt or spots.( no hair, red and inflamed ) . Wash it and apply NO THumbs fluid. ( again , for humans. This is sold in Drug Stores for Babies that suck their thumbs) This is safe and harmless.
These ideas I have used and were prescribed by my vet. They work!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2002, 09:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Years ago a friend had a German Shepherd mix who was going BALD from scratching (dry skin). The vet told me to take one capful of Alpha-Keri Bath Oil in a quart of warm water and apply it to the dog's coat. The scratching stopped IMMEDIATELY and within days we say the hair growing back healthy and shiny. The treatment is non-toxic and cheap. And your pup will smell good afterwards!
Old 10-12-2002, 11:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re: Dog scratching

Might be a good idea to check with a vet.Year round scratching may be caused by other things besides the environment.Food allergies are pretty common and relief may be as simple as changing the brand of food served.You really shouldn't wash a dog unless they're really dirty as this too might begin to cause problems with the skins protective oils being removed.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Believe it or not the cheapest way out is a visit to the vet. It sounds like allergy...whether seasonal or maybe to food, or it could be mange as well.... so the vet is the place to go.

Once it's established that it is NOT a food allergy, then you can try
benedryl....it does work....and one tablet won't hurt the dog....it's 25 mgs......

But your first stop is the Vet's office!
Make sure you tell the vet everything you've tried.
Don't overbathe your dog either and use only products approved for canines or recommended by your vet.
Some dogs are allergic to wheat and corn...especially corn, and if you are feeding something like old roy or some other grain based food, you may have a problem....

Go to this site, scroll down and read the food comparison charts
and dog food analysis articles....they are very informative!!

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/wolfepack/food.html

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."

Last edited by Jeannie; 10-12-2002 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I once had a Scotty and he had skin allergies. Seems like it was when the fleas were bad in the summer. The vet would give him an allergy shot and some antibiotic. He also told me to use tar and sulfer shampoo. You can get it at the vets office. It works great.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have an American Eskimo that is highly allergic to grass. She takes an allergy pill that looks just like the Claritin that I take for my allergies. She is a house dog. She takes the allergy pills from the beginning of March through November. Her symptoms were sneezing, scratching, chewing (would chew her feet til they bled!) and hair falling out in clumps. When she has an open wound from chewing or scratching too much, I put regular hydrogen peroxide on the area and dab the excess off. This dries the area up just as well as the creams.

Good luck!!

Jodi
Old 10-12-2002, 01:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing scratching & dog allergies

;-) I do agree that this is probably due to an allergie with your dog. I had just read, and now have found out that most vets will suggest that the first thing you do with a dog showing signs of allergies is get rid of the plastic bowls, and use glass. This is so easy, and with all the other suggestions that has been posted, I do agree with, they are all great ideas. I have 5 dogs, and only 1 has an allergic reaction to fleas, but my daughter has 2 dogs and the 1 has a lot of problems with sun, and allergic to several other things. The vet 2 years ago, told them to use Benadry when needed. The bottom line is she really should see a vet to know what is causing the probem and correcting it since the itching is all year round. Good luck and hope you will soon have a scratch free dog. Donna