Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:39 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dog scratching

Hi mulberry204, I just wanted to let you know that the vet told me that princess got the parasite from smelling another dogs poop. I had her tested the other day and the test was negative she dosen't have it anymore. I am hoping that it won't come back. My dd and I go for walks and that must have been how she caught it. It is only catching to dogs that smell each others poop.
So guess that the one dose of medicine cured her. Thank goodness for that. She is still scratching but I think she just has dry skin. The vet said to put 1 tbsp of oil in her food or get her one a day vitamins with fatty oils in them. I hope that this helped you .
Millie
Old 11-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Did you try the oil in the food?? My dashund has dry skin and i wondered if the oil would help..someone also told me a lanolin supplement?? I need to check this out.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I use to have chows and they had very dry skin and I use to put bacon grease in their food and it helped a whole lot and when I didnt have bacon grease I woould use and of the drippings off my meat and it worked well too.

"The thoughts you entertain are the seeds from which your actions grow."
Old 07-07-2008, 08:49 AM

Happy face

I have a Schipperke(Skipperkey). He has really dry skin & scratches so much he has bald spots all over him. I have tried everything, including giving him Benadryl but nothing seems to help. I've used baby oil on him, put meat drippings in his food, used lanolin shampoo, conditioner for dogs, etc.. still he scratches til he pulls his hair out. Anyone have any suggestions? The vet says it's allergies but without expensive testing, he doesn't know what the dog is allergic to. He suggested Benadryl twice a day, but it doesn't help much.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sad face

Minnie,

If your dog is scratching until it's bald, the dog is suffering. Make arrangements with your vet to get it tested. Perhaps you can do it on a payment schedule or charge it. But the dog can not continue this way. The scratching will lead to infections and abcesses. This is akin to cruelty. I don't mince words when it comes to animals and children. If the Vet can't tell you without testing, what do you think you will accomplish here?
Your dog is probably suffering from multiple allergies. Once the tests are done and results returned, you will know precisely what is causing the itching and you then need to adjust what you are feeding... You can't feed allergic dogs cheap dog food like Old Roy and other supermarket brands. How do I know?
I have an allergic dog that when I rescued her was suffering terribly. We had her tested and she has mixed allergies that require special food..... Please don't let the dog suffer.
If you can't afford to vet him properly, give him up to an agency that can help. It's really cruel not to treat the animal.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 07-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have 3 words for all of you,,,it is safe and harmless to all animals, and is all natural and enviromentally safe too...
TEA TREE OIL..
I use it on my pets all the time,,good for dry skin, fleas and any other skin problem you pets have,,is also like a antisepic for any scrape or owies they might have under their fur..,for my cats ,,I just put a few drops on my hands then rub their fur..gets rid of the fleas (if any) and also makes their fur shine,,,for my dog when bathing her,,I use about 6-8 drops in the conditioner I use and then comb though her fur (she is a border collie) throughly,,and leave on at least 5 mins before I rinse..( she loves her bath)
All my pets seem to have gotten used to it,,,
Old 07-08-2008, 04:00 AM

Happy face

Jeannie, I'm doing what the vet told me to do.. He is on prednisone & cephalexin, feed him lamb & rice food, give him benadryl 2 times a day & I'm not using flea shampoo. Flea shampoo irritates the dry skin. I'm using an oatmeal shampoo, with lanolin on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannie
Minnie,

If your dog is scratching until it's bald, the dog is suffering. Make arrangements with your vet to get it tested. Perhaps you can do it on a payment schedule or charge it. But the dog can not continue this way. The scratching will lead to infections and abcesses. This is akin to cruelty. I don't mince words when it comes to animals and children. If the Vet can't tell you without testing, what do you think you will accomplish here?
Your dog is probably suffering from multiple allergies. Once the tests are done and results returned, you will know precisely what is causing the itching and you then need to adjust what you are feeding... You can't feed allergic dogs cheap dog food like Old Roy and other supermarket brands. How do I know?
I have an allergic dog that when I rescued her was suffering terribly. We had her tested and she has mixed allergies that require special food..... Please don't let the dog suffer.
If you can't afford to vet him properly, give him up to an agency that can help. It's really cruel not to treat the animal.