Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-19-2002, 04:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dog scratching

For moist ear problems our vet told us to buy some Monistat 7 and apply a small amount (just enough to coat the problem area) to the ear. Our Aussie had this problem, and just a small bit over the course of three days cured it completely....never has returned. It's not runny so the dogs don't seem to mind it much, and the relief it gives is virtually instantaneous. (The vet who gave us this advice is the top man in the area, and believes in teaching people to take care of their own animals as much as possible to save them the time and money, and free him up for what can't be taken care of at home.) An excellent book for pet people is A Veterinary Guide for Animal Owners published by the Rodale Press. Good luck with your pup.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Dog Scratching

Motherlundsford: Thank you so much for that tip. It is definitely a cheap enough remedy to try. I will get the generic version. I would love to get old Dixie off the prednisone, which doesn't even seem to work. Sometimes I really wonder about vets. I can order Dixie's medicine over the Internet for at least 1/3 less then I can buy it at the vets. The vet finally agreed to meet the net's price, but I thought that sounded so unfair of him. It meant he would charge people who knew about the cheap sites one price and the others another price. I am talking a big difference here. And, I got him to admit that a daily aspirin (not buffered) was as good for arthritis as the expensive etogesic pills that I have been using. So...most vets are apparently in it for the money, and not for the pet's benefit. Also, I had Dixie operated on (over $300.00) for her arthritis. Later I read that that particular surgery was obsolete 20 years ago. Needless to say, this vet is getting fired.
I put my baby through that surgery for no good reason. I think the vet is a creep and a jerk. But....back to the original subject. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dogs

Mulberry, I apologize this is off topic. Have you tried Glucosamine Chondrotin for the arthritis? It comes as an over the counter medicine for dogs from Hartz. At least that is one of the brands. I apologize again for being off topic. Jane
Old 10-19-2002, 07:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
So...most vets are apparently in it for the money, and not for the pet's benefit.
In defense of Veterinarians out there I must say that Good Quality veterinarian care is not cheap. I would not question the guy who is charging the most, I would worry about the one who isn't!
The money you spend at your vets office goes toward paying the salary for that receptionist who answers the phone a thousand times a day with compassion. It pays for that licensed vet tech who answers all your questions (no matter how ridiculous they are) with a smile on her face. It pays the salary for that vet who gets up in the middle of the night to care for your sick or injured pet. It pays to send those same people to continuing education courses so that you can have the best care available. It pays for the electricity to run that x-ray machine when your pet is injured. And the list goes on.
If you are not receiving the best care for your money then find another vet! But don't blame high prescription drug prices on Veterinarians.
Many of the so called "Internet Stores" can afford to sell there products so cheap because they buy in bulk quantities. Many products sold over the internet are not purchased from manufacturers in the USA and are not always approved by the FDA. Some are not packaged and/or stored properly. Some are even bought and sold on the black market. When you purchase a product from your vet you know how it is stored and that it is FDA approved.
Now before you bad mouth Veterinarians for charging too much for there services think about this....

When your pet gets sick in the middle of the night or is hit by a car is that internet guy gonna be there for you?
Old 10-19-2002, 08:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have found that most Vets will give you advice over the phone if your dog is a patient of theirs. They will usually ask you a few questions and can give you simple things to try, or will tell you, You will have to bring him or her in. Another thing, some will take a payment plan, if money is tight.

Now, about the scratching...whenever I had dogs with close hair...like on a Doberman, Boxer, Daushand, they get dry skin very easily especially in warm weather...they can even get sunburned! I had a Doberman that was allergic to fleas..and he was a mess when it was flea weather...I had to have him on meds, to keep him from chewing himself or scratching so much. I also had to treat the yard, house, and bedding...I had 5 large dogs at the time and he was the only one that had trouble...after much work we found out that the cat, was bringing the fleas into the house and infested the Doberman. Our cat had to be sprayed every time she came in...but most of the time she loved to live with the chickens! lol

janet
Old 10-20-2002, 02:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Dog Scratching

Yes, I have Dixie on glucosamine chrondroitin, but I am not sure if it is working or not.
The medicine I purchase over the Internet is the same quality as the vet sells. It is the same exact medicine. He has to write a prescription for the drug for me. I buy the names brands: Frontline, Advantage, etc. They are the exact same drugs but at least 1/3 cheaper.
I do not think my vet is a hero. I think doing an operation that was obsolete 20 years ago shows what he is in the business for: money and not quality care. I live in Louisiana and am limited to a few vets.
I am a school teacher with a master's degree. I am required to attend free workshops and last week three meetings on my own time. I earn about $38,000.00 a year and I have a lot of experience. My vet charges about- $60.00 for a 15 minute visit. $60.00 x 4 = $240.00/an hour - I guess he probably earns more than 20 times what I earn!). Plus he overcharges for medicine. I teach because it is what I choose to do. I don't complain (too often) about all of the free stuff I have to do (minimum of 6 hours prep time a week; meetings with parents,etc.). I supply many children with their school necessities. I do not feel sorry for the vet's standard of living, or that he chose to help animals that take sick in the night. He charges extra for that service! He has the option of not taking care of late night problems. We have a 24 hour emergency clinic in town and most vets just refer you to it. In fact, I do not know any vet that gets up at night and goes into his office to care for a sick/injured animal. That is obsolete.
I figure the vet went into medicine to help animals. Operating when it is unnecessary is appalling, especially on my old dog. My dog was traumatized by the whole experience and took several days to recover.
No, I do not think my vet is a hero. And yes, I will go back to the one who I know is the best, but very expensive and a far distance. In my case I did not get what I paid for. I still have a dog who howls in pain. Gosh, I am getting angry just thinking about that vet.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

mulberry204.... I am so sorry that you are not in an area where good quality vet care is available. I apologize for assuming that your vet would provide the same standard of care my vet provides. Yes my vet DOES get up in the middle of the night and care for sick pets. My vet charges $22.00 for an office visit and $65.00 to meet you at the clinic in the middle of the night for an after hours visit. I don't think thats too high. And I do think my vet is a hero. She has saved both of my pets at one time or another. She is one of the most compassionate people I have ever known, and I have seen her work for free on many occasions because she is in the business to help animals not get rich! Good luck to you. I hope you find a vet that you can trust.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Vets - Dog Scratching

The vets are not too good and the medical doctors are just as bad!! Off topic, but one doctor here diagnosed me with diabetes. Sent me to classes the whole bit. Turned out to be a mistake. So someone is probably running around with diabetes and doesn't know it. Unfortunately my records now note that I am diabetic. Try to explain to an insurance company that it was an error. I am afraid I will never be able to change jobs because of the difficulty I will have obtaining insurance. What a mess. My sugar score is 4.7 and 6.2 is diabetic. I am probably healthier than most people my age: vegetarian, exercise 5 times a week, etc. I would probably get better care from your vet for myself!! Now that's sad.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Dog Scratching

Hi Mulberry 204, I am sorry but I wanted to reply to your posting about the error about your diabetes. I am also I diabetic I was diaignosed in April and my my sugars have been perfect since then. I lost 25lbs since May. But, anyway I told my husband I also thought that the doctor was wrong but I asked him. So if I were you I would have the doctor write a letter and you should submit it to your insurance coverage. There is no reason that should stay on your record. Health Insurance these days are just to expensive to have an error on it. I also have a dog that is scratching to I am hoping it is just alergies. My dog was diagonosed with a parasite 3 weeks ago and I am hoping that it is gone. The vet told me it can take months to get rid of I hope that he was being cautious. Let me know what happens. Thanks
Millie
Old 10-22-2002, 01:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Dog Scratching

Thanks Millie for writing. Do you know how your dog got its parasite? I would want to find the source so that it won't be an ongoing problem. For example, my neighbor's yellow lab ate some sago palm tree, which is toxic. It ended up costing about $4000.00. After a long time they realized it was the palm trees, so they have cut them down. So I would question the vet on where he thinks the dog got infected. Also, can you catch the parasite from the dog? That would be awful. BYE!