Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-12-2002, 04:48 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I was just talking to a neighbor about this very subject today as Angel is a scratcher and has rubbed hair iff or very thin in some spots. She told me she also had a GSD with the same problem and that her vet recommended a vitamin called 3V Caps. She said she bought them right at the vet's office. I found some info on them here http://www.medi-vet.com/fattyacids.asp I'm going to check with my vet on Monday.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 10-12-2002, 05:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

I hope that the vitamins will help, since my dogs have never had this problem, I really have no idea if will work, but worth a try. I wanted to thank you for the web site. I have been using advantage on the dogs since spring and buying it from the vets, this time I have ordered it on line and will save me at least an hour drive and wait going to the vets just to get the advantage for the dogs. This is really worth the money and does work so much better than any flea product that you can buy in the store. Good luck with your dog, and please let us know what does correct her problem. Donna
Old 10-12-2002, 08:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Dog Scratching

Hi MTV,
I just read your thread I have a dog and she is always out in my yard and for a week or so she wouldn't stop biting and scratching at herself also she hadn't been eating hardly at all. I called the vet and they recommended benedryl. I started giving it to her and she was still scratching and then she began to act strange she had an accident on my living room floor 3 days in a row. It was like she couldn't hold her bowels. I think she had a reaction to the benedryl it made her dopey and she just wasn't herself. I called the vet he told me to bring her in and also bring in a stool sample. Well I did and I found out that she has a parasite (worms) it also makes her skin really dry and I would just rub her hair and it would come right out and had dry skin on the tips of the hair. He then put her on prednesone. I stopped giving it to her after a few days but she is still biting herself but not as bad. The vet told me he wanted another stool sample in 2 weeks. He also said it could take up months to get rid of the parasite. So I just wanted to let you know you should always get the dog checked out before giving anything anyone else recommends. I will keep you posted about princess I have to bring in her stool on monday. Hopefully this parasite is gone?
The strangest thing to all of this is their suppose to contract this from another dogs stool just by smelling it. She hasn't been near any other dogs that I can remember. Well just wanted to give you my story I hope it helps your decision.

Millie
Old 10-13-2002, 01:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Dog Scratching

My dog is the best she has ever been, and I live in S.W. Louisiana where fleas are a constant problem as are other allergies. This year I started her on about 1/2 teaspoon a day of brewer's yeast.
I mix it in with yoghurt and she loves it. She weighs 48 pounds (should be 35). I have not had to use any flea medication and she has stopped her itching. Brewer's yeast can be found at a health store. A large jar is about $8.00 and should last me 6+ months (I eat some too). Her itching and licking were driving me crazy and she has stopped both. She seems so much more comfortable. It's worth a try.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks so much for all the replies, this is a big help, I will certainly try some of them. I just got laid off job, so $$ is tight right now. I will try some of these tips before I have to take Hanna into see the vet. Mulberry204...you don't have to use any flea medication??? Wow that would be great. I have her on Frontline right now, so I will try that tip, along with bathing her with Selsun Blue, & applying the Alpha Keri Bath oil. I bathe her about once every two weeks, is that too often do you think? Since she has long her, she tends to get kinda "doggy smelly" at times, so I take her a bath. I will try all of these good tips, Thanks to all the doggy lovers out there!!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

There are some very good tips and advice posted here. The very best one is Check with your vet before you do anything. Dogs are like people in the sense that we are all different and what might be good and safe for me may not be for you. I would not recommend using a human type shampoo on your dog unless your vet recommends it for your dog. If you choose to use the human type shampoo be extremely careful not to get any shampoo in their eyes.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dog scratching

My dog that passed away last November at age 14 had certain times of the year that she would just drive us crazy with the itching. We did 2 things. We put corn oil on her food. When the scratching was very bad, I would rub baby oil into her hair. Her skin would just crawl when touched so we knew where she was terribly dry. Best of Luck. They are such a joy to live with. Blessings. Jane
Old 10-18-2002, 02:10 AM
Assistant Moderator

Hi there

I have a mini fox terrier and she has bad itching and is forever scratching, we went to the vet and he said that she had a type of eczema and that giving her salt baths or a swim in the ocean was very good for her skin. There are also a lot of low irritant type washes, eucalyptus, tea tree etc.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Y'all

All this advise is good BUT...the BEST advise is what we ( kimmyo and I have been telling y'all. I hate to sound like a broken record.

The Vet is your best source for advise and medication.
Dog soaps are not the same as people soaps. The PH is different.
Overbathing can cause problems too.

My thought is that most DON"T want to spend the money to go to the vet, especially when I hear persistent,... it's been a long time of...etc.... I've tried everything.....etc. In the meantime your dog is suffering!! If you just would go to the vet! If after going to your vet, there is no relief, try another vet.

Food is usually a culprit. If you feed cheap food, like old roy and those brands, you are going to have problems if your dog is sensitive.

Again, your Vet is your best source for advise because, 1- he can see the dog, and he knows YOUR dog, and he's a licensed health care provider for your animal....

Pets aren't cheap to keep. They are suseptible to all the diseases we get.....and they need care.

Go here and read what is in your dog's food and how it's prepared. Like everything else, you get what you pay for.....

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/wolfepack/food.html
scroll down to:

analysis and then comparison

But most of all, take your little companion to the vet. Please....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 10-19-2002, 02:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Dog Scratching

mtv - I gave up using all flea medicine this year when I started my dog on brewer's yeast. I have not seen even one flea and no itching and licking. My dog does see the vet regularly and I think that's the right place to start, but you might try the yeast before you try the chemical flea stuff. My dog's fur is nicer with the brewer's yeast too. I did have a terrier one year who was allergic to corn and corn is in many dog foods. That dog suffered with skin problems that were not controllable. She ended up with kidney and liver problems and maybe that caused the skin condition. But my current four - legged friend does suffer terribly from ear problems. Any suggestions? She takes prednisone for it, but it is so humid here in Louisiana that I guess her ears stay wet all the time (****erspaniel). Best stuff so far is vinegar, but I am sure it is painful and I try not to use it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.