Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 09-21-2002, 03:05 PM
BoggsZ

Need help with a new dog in are family

Help we just recently got a ****er spanial shes 2yrs old and has nasty ears its like ear wax and it smells I know I should take her to a vet but I really can't afford it right now and she also has really dry skin the people who I got her from rescured her from someone who was being mean to her and she's a great dog I'm not used to haveing a dog in my house but my 6yr old daughter loves her. Does anyone have any tips on her ears and dry skin that won't cost be a forturn. She is also all Black and you can see the dry skin bad we had to cut her hair off short because she was so mattied. thanks for your help
Old 09-21-2002, 05:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi! Sounds like your new pet has ear mites...they make the ears look very dirty and can smell too. Does the dog shake her head alot? Anyway, take a rag, wet it in warm water, a drop of shampoo and start cleaning her ears...now for the canal part...use a Q-tip dipped in baby oil, or olive oil and clean the canals, just what you can see...do not jab it in any openings.

For her dry skin, I would first bathe her, rinse her and then you can dilute lotion half & half with water and use for a conditioner. After your pet is dry, brush her lightly. Now you can also put lotion & water(half&half) in a spray bottle and you can spray and rub it lightly into her coat for the next couple of weeks.

If this doesn't help...take her to the vet, ask them if you can do a payment plan and tell them about how she was recused and they might give you a break. Or call your ASPCA or animal shelter and see if they have any advice for you.

Good Luck, Glad you were able to help save this pet! You did a Good Thing!

janet
Old 09-22-2002, 03:58 AM
BoggsZ

Janet thanks for your help yes she does shake her head alot I hope this works she is such a good dog I't was a shame someone wes mean to her. Put she has a good home now thanks again
Old 09-22-2002, 04:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

BoggsZ, When a dog shakes their head alot it is an indication of ear mites...you can pick up ear mite medicine at Walmart...not too expensive....you have to treat the ears for awhile...directions on the bottle. Since the dog sounds like it is heavily infested I still would clean the ears first...then use the ear mite medicine.

My friend has a ****er spaniel too and it is such a great dog...so gentle, kind and not demanding...she loves all people and always loves to be talked to and petted...sounds like you have a great dog too. Enjoy!

janet
Old 09-22-2002, 08:57 AM
BoggsZ

Janet do you know if this type of dog sheds alot if so is it better to keep them cut short and please tell your friend that has a ****er spainel if she has any advice for me i would love to hear from her I'd be glad to give her my email address I can use all the advice I can get. thanks