Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-30-2002, 05:39 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Question Housetraining a puppy.

We have a 2 month old Peak A Poo. She seems a bit slow to understand where her bathroom is. We've tried everything from keeping her in a basket and then right outside (when she was really little) to disapproval when she goes in the house and approval when she goes outside. We've resorted to putting baby gates in the doorways of the kitchen and keeping her in there.

Any suggestions to help this wayward pup? My husband keeps talking about puppy stir-fry.

Seriously though... I would love some help if you have any advice.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 09-01-2002, 03:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

MrsRoseofShara,

Housetraining a puppy is a full time job. I use to take my pup out every 2 hrs. I would take her to the spot I wanted her to use. If there were mistakes in the house, I would pick it and bring to that spot. They need to go out all the time, if they don't they end up always using the house.:mad:

Puppies are like a new born baby all they do is eat, sleep and Poop! lol

Good Luck!

janet
Old 09-01-2002, 04:05 PM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

Janet,

Thanks for the advice. I'll try taking her accidents outside to the spot I want her to use. I do try to take her out all the time but it's hard because I work too and the rest of the family aren't as conscientious about it.

~Mother Teresa
Old 09-01-2002, 08:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

MrsRoseofShara,

Try using a timer to remind the puppy sitter to take the pup out. Or if work allows it call them every 2 hrs and remind them. It seems as if you can get them trained, your pup will be trained in no time. lol

janet
Old 09-02-2002, 04:06 AM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

Janet,

I have tried that. So far it hasn't worked very well but I keep on pluggin. I'll get them trained if it kills them and that darn cute little puppy too! I am tired of that puppy having accidents! Thanks again.

~Mother Teresa
Old 09-02-2002, 03:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Rose Rose Rose!

It's an 8 week old puppy!...geesh! what are you expecting at that age....? fully housebroken? Bladders aren't fully formed
til they are 7 months old... She is still a baby....

Take her out after eating, and playing and when she wakes....

Go to petsmart or better, go to amazon.com and get a book on
crate training.....
also...
go to..

www.pedigree.com

Clean the area where she has gone with Nature's Miracle...

Do not give her the run of the house! They earn that privilege...

Also puppy training classes are important....they also help socialize your pup....

Good Luck.....
Old 09-02-2002, 06:46 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I agree. Crate training is probably the most effective method out there, and the most humane in my opinion. Crates are not cages, they are homes for your dog. Dogs are den/pack animals. Having a crate is a comfortable safe haven for them, and dogs are naturally very clean den animals. They won't soil their bed, unless you leave them no choice. And remember, NEVER use the crate as a punishment. The crate should be a nice place for your puppy to go, one that he/she will grow to love and will go to on its own for quiet or nap time.

My dad has a 14 year old medium sized dog that has used its crate all of her life. She loves it and probably wouldn't be able to sleep without it

This is an excellent article on crate training, not only does it explain the use of the crate for housetraining, but also how the crate can grow with your dog, help to reduce chewing damage to your furniture, provide a safe haven for your pet, and can be used as their home when they want it.
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 09-03-2002, 04:11 AM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

Well I guess I expected a little more effort on her part. Our house is very small and really is too small for a crate. I will read the info you suggested and let you know how it goes. Thanks much.

~Mother Teresa
Old 09-03-2002, 10:09 AM
missmouse

Congratulations on your puppy. I am going through the potty training thing right now too. Crate training is wonderful. It really can save your relationship with your dog. Now instead of being angry with your puppy for messes she made and /or things she destroyed while you were out you can just be happy to see her and she can be happy to see you instead of wondering if she'll be punished. As to fitting a dog crate into your home it can be done! I have two big dogs and three medium dogs all of whom are crated when we are gone. The two big crates have boards on top of them and act as end tables. The littler crates are under another table. They are not necessarily the most attractive way to accessorize your home but then those little piles aren't either. And as to those people who feel crates are cruel, my one dog spends all his free time deciding whose crate he will sleep in next. He is so much happier and secure since he has had "his" space. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Rose rose!

Ahhh...what do you mean that your house is too small for a crate?

A crate for a dog that size is about 21 x27x 20 inches high....
picture is attached......they come in a variety of sizes...
the one shown is a large...I chose this one so that you can see
how they look and how they are...

go to:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com

for an online catalog........

If you don't have room for the right sized crate, it would follow you don't have room for the dog either.
Rose, I am going to say something and please understand where I am coming from.....Let me give you background...I've been a breeder and trainer for over 25 years....I have had up to 8 german shepherds living in my house...I have had that many crates around my house.....they all enjoyed them...they would go into them to rest, sleep and get away from the rest....Believe me, my house was immaculate, and i had no dog fights or dogs going in my house......

Having had that much experience with people and their dogs, I get the feeling that a dog is NOT for you.....Perhaps you'd be better off with a cat........they are easily litterbox trained....

Some people are not meant to have live pets, dear. You do not sound like you have the desire or the time or temperament to deal with a puppy...They are like children ...and they need a tremendous amount of training and attention during the first 6 months....... Perhaps you should reconsider if caring for a dog or pet is really what is good for you and your household....

Jeannie
Attached Images