Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 09-03-2002, 02:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

MrsRoseofShara,

I have raised dogs, and puppies for years and they can be housetrainned without the use of a crate. The big key is that you have to be consistent. All dogs want to please, so I praise them when they do it right and say oh, no, no, that's bad. Not in a loud voice to startle them. Then I clean up the mess, with a paper towel and take it and the puppy to the spot outside...I have only had to do it a few times and they were trained...now your pup is very young, so it will take awhile. Someone has to be home to do this. I would never want to leave my puppy in a crate for 8-10 hrs while you were working. Dogs have to relieve themselves and a puppy does it more often. Now poodles are a breed that are a pain to housebreak....they will potty whenever they are mad at you, left them at home, brought someone new into the house, and so on. Revenge pottying!
There is also a product out for small dogs to use...Dog litter, this might be a solution for you if no one is home. Too bad we are not neighbors, I would take your puppy out for you...I have been a dog lover from the start and have worked with alot of abused, difficult, and dogs that people have thrown away, and recused some from being shot. Dogs are an important part of my life and I find there aren't dumb dogs.

It will get better...hang in there!
janet
Old 09-03-2002, 03:59 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jeannie, I am honestly not sure where you get the idea that having a dog is not for me, but I happen to love my dog. I don't feel I need to defend myself for asking for advice.

Janet, thank you so much for your encouragement and advice. I have been trying your suggestions and things are getting better. I rearranged my work schedule so I no longer work when my husband is sleeping because the kids weren't being responsible with the puppy. She's being let out more regularly now and things are improving dramatically. We've gotten her many things she's allowed to chew, she's gated inside the kitchen and because of my husband's schedule, she even gets to go outside at 4:30 most early mornings which helps with early morning accidents.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 09-03-2002, 04:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have 2 house dogs. I would always take them out every time that they woke up and after they ate, or drank water. That always seemed to work. You have to keep a close eye on them, you soon learn when they need to go. After a while they will go to the door and scratch on it when they need to go out. A peek-a-poo is the first house dog I had. They are so cute. My last one was a Scottie. He was my little friend.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:10 PM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes, I'm starting to learn her signals. She starts sniffing the carpeting when she has to go and sometimes she whines. She and I are learning together. Things are definitely improving. I had a poodle years ago, a big one. This little fluffball is so cute. My DH says I got her so I could spray her with pledge and dust under the beds. She really is a sweet little thing, albeit with needle sharp teeth.

~Mother Teresa
Old 09-05-2002, 01:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Puppy house breaking

Rose,
Congatulations on your successes with your puppy. My pup is 9 months old, and only 1Ĺ months housebroke. He was 5 weeks old when we got him from a shelter. I know your fatigue with training. I still have gates up as I have new carpeting in the bedroom and am not brave enough yet to take them down. Today he is at the vet getting hip dysplasia surgery & neutering, so I assume there will be some accidents in the house.

Jeannie
You were a bit harsh. I can understand Rose's predicament, she takes the dog out but other family members don't. This could be her first dog and there is alot to learn.

I suggest going to the library or Pet store and getting books on training. Puppy classes are great also for you and the pup. The suggestions list above are great, I also do not crate but he stays outside during the day and we leave th basement door open for shelter. My DH and I had to relearn puppy training as our previous beloved dog was 13 years old.

Good luck dogs are a joy. Even the worst day is brighten when you come home and there is that guy/girl wagging his tail just waiting for you to give him attention.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:03 PM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

Patjohant,

Thank you for your post. It is reassuring to know that even if it takes awhile, it will happen. I do love her and you're right. She lifts my heart when I come home from work and her whole body wags with her tail.

~Mother Teresa
Old 09-05-2002, 03:04 PM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

P.S....

This is my first puppy. We had a poodle when I was growing up but of course, my mother dealt with the housebreaking, etc. I have very fond memories of that old guy... and I'm very glad to have Teddie... She's very dear to me.

~Mother Teresa
Old 09-05-2002, 07:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

MrsRoseofShara,

Congratulations on your first puppy! It seems as soon as you get them in your home...you fall in love with them.

Puppies are a challenge but you will get the hang of it real quick...a word of caution...do not feed your pup bones...I have known many owners that have to pay big bucks in vet bills due to bones. I only feed my dogs dry dog foods, it is completely balanced for their needs.

Have fun with your new puppy!

And also pick up your shoes...those little teeth love to chew leather or even plastic! lol

janet
Old 09-06-2002, 05:25 AM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

Janet,

Don't I know it! She chews everything left on the floor. Absolutely everything. And, sometimes she chews people walking past her.

~Mother Teresa