Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-22-2002, 10:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

greyhounds

We adopted a greyhound a couple of years ago - does anyone else out there have one?
Old 08-25-2002, 02:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have a greyhound mix that I adopted at the Humane Shelter. She is a sweetie...she loves to be pampered and it such a loving dog. The only problem is if she gets loose...man she never tires with the running...I had been through the neighborhood in my pj's trying to catch her. She waits till I almost get to her and then she starts again! Now my neighbors say to me..Hey, you haven't been running lately. Thank Goodness, she is getting better..or am I getting better! lol I have 2 trolleys in my yard to keep her on when I am out there with her. I want to get a fenced in yard, she can jump high. What is your dog like? I have been doing clicker training with her...she is coming along...she is very smart and wants to please.

janet
Old 08-25-2002, 07:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Greyhounds

We have a former racer, Ellen. She is a wonderful dog!! She has her issues though. She likes to eat her cookies in the living room although she eats dinner where she should. She likes to pretend she's a watchdog - even though they told us that greyhounds aren't watch dogs - yeah right - just ask our mail carrier. We even posted a sign on the front door that says: Caution: Area patrolled by greyhound security" that we bought at a fair one year. She is terrific. She is a real lover - if you don't pet her, she'll pet you by running her head up and down your arm, body, legs, whatever she can reach until you pet her. She is probably the best dog I personally have ever had. I used to think they were strange looking dogs until I actually "met" them at a festival where the Greyhound Companions group was getting people to actually meet them and get to know what good pets they could be. I fell in love with them, filled out an application and even picked out what color I wanted and it was only like 2 maybe 3 weeks later I got a call from the group that they had a dog for us - the color I wanted and everything. She had been in foster care for 3 weeks and they were trying to teach her to go up and down stairs. She had just literally come off the track three weeks ago - obviously a loser. But you couldn't tell it by the way she runs around our pool - making herself her own little track. I was also kind of concerned when we got her about how she would fit in with our other dogs - a border collie, a rottweiler, a chow mix and her puppy, and 2 labs. But you know, we have never had a major scuffle. - maybe it's because she's taller than everyone else! Someone once said they are a 90 mph sloth which is pretty true. In the house they are really laid back, but get them in a fenced yard and THEY"RE OFF! She's not really fond of kids but tolerates them for us when the grandkids come over but she has gotten better with them. She's not as nervous as she was but she has never even growled them. You can just tell she's thinking go away and leave me alone because she usually goes and hides on the stairway until they leave. But all in all, if anyone is thinking of getting a greyhound, I would definitely recommend it.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Aren't they fun!! We went to just look - our shepherd/chow mix was getitng old and we wanted to see what greyhounds were like. Went ahead and filled out the paperwork and by the next week she called us asking we would consider not waiting and taking an older one. Josh was loose in Arkansas - some people were feeding him and finally tracked down the vet who cared for him. The people had moved and apparently just left him. So he was taken to the nearest adoption site in Springfield MO. He is brindle and was 6 1/2 - that was 2 1/2 yrs ago. He and our pets - a cat and Kodi were fine together - he just acts as though he cannot be bothered! (Had to put Kodi to sleep after 15 yrs a month ago - heart failure) We babysit for our grandkids frequenlty and he is Ok with them - sort of like yours. I really think he is afraid of being stepped on.

He also takes his treats into the living room to eat. He considers that as "his" room! Does yours LOVE squeaker toys, too - Josh has a basket full. When you come back in the house - even after only a couple or minutes - "leap gallops" to you - with feet gong all directions and a BIG smile on his face. When yours runs does he start with a huge leap?? When he wants your attention, he stands in front of you staring at you with his mouth open - then he snaps his teeth at you - then he moves to a "rrrrrr"l - then finally a sharp bark. And he also rubs all over you. Almost like our cat does.

Ours has never learned to go down steps. That was fine as Kodi had dibs on our bedroom (our house looks one story but has a finished basement with our bedroom downstairs). It is a single flight and I am sure he would end up in a tangle at the bottom if he tried. For the first few days he would not even walk near the stairs and would cry at them.

And when he gets out - he is gone! I was so afraid at first because they told us that they cannot find their way back home - but he has the last two times. But we have warned everyone within an inch of their lives to be careful of the door.

Lehigirl, have you gone to the site where you can pull up their racing career? Josh's (racing name is Unruly Raider) raced out of Denver for about 9 months. Won a few, but "had trouble in the turns".

Glad to hear from both of you - we can exchange "funnies".
Old 08-25-2002, 09:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Janet ---- is the greyhound the same dog you mentioned when you replyed to the "losing a pet" - mix border collie? Thank you for that post! They become so much a part of your lives. Kodi was always by my side - whereas Josh is more independent. He wants to lay on "his" couch and come get some loving from time to time. Where ever I went, Kodi followed - even when it was so hard for her to get around. She really did not want a lot of petting - just to be near you.

I grew up with a border collie mix - was an only child until 18 (when my Mom had twins!!). Tippy was my very best friend and always with me if it was at all possible!

I am so glad that we went ahead with adopting Josh - he is a lot of fun and I have to have a dog around. I understand that the clicker training is a good way to train greyhounds. When Josh does get loose he does the same thing - let you get close - then run again.

When we first got married (41 years ago Sept 1) we had a boxer for 13 years that I spent many a time chasing after. We were in the Army then and where ever we were the neighbors soon got to know Ginger and they all got their laughs of me running after - in all kinds of garbs and all stages of pregnancy! She was also a wonderful dog - excellent with the kids - never had to worry about them with her around.

They truly are wonderful firends!!
Old 08-25-2002, 08:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Ladydove, The dog I was talking about in losing a pet was a Doberman-boxer mix. She was our whole world. My son fell in love with a Border-collie mix at the Shelter...I wasn't ready to get attached to a dog but this was my sons dog...I stayed away from him because I was still grieving my Doberman. It wasn't till I got seriously ill that my sons dog worked his way into my life...and made me ready to love a dog again...now it is 5 yrs later and I go to the shelter and fall in love with a dog...my greyhound mix.

So now we all live happily together...a border collie and a greyhound!

Our greyhound cleans herself like a cat...she always smells fresh..and when I get out of the shower she rubs on me so I smell like her! She doesn't want treats and she eats only her chow. I am getting her used to playing with a ball...but you should see her play with an ice cube...she tosses it, runs, scoots all around...I got rid of my throw rugs, they were always in a pile! ha ha From the first day I brought her home she climbs up in the bed and sleeps between me and my hubby...She is a great watchdog too...she has a deep bark...and she is becoming more vocal. Her favorite thing to do is to jump up on my keyboard while I am using it...its like okay that's enough...lets play. My dog likes the snow...and even went in the lake...I thought they didn't like water. But then she was fetching a stick. When she sees a gray squirrel outside the window she starts a whining type of noise,I tell her no and she stops.
Her biggest problem is she always must be the first one out the door...and the first one in. She just gets so vocal when she isn't. She will even jump over people or my son's dog to be first.
When we go for a walk she needs to be out leading then. lol

janet
Old 08-25-2002, 09:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Greyhounds

Hey LadyDove- Josh and Ellen sound a lot a like. She loves her squeaky toys too and does that snapping her teeth thing and leaping around like a lunatic thing too. I was afraid when she got out twice because I had heard all the horror stories like you of how they had to trap them to get them back because they couldn't find their way home. Ellen has come home twice on her own and had the nerve to look at me like I was stupid for doubting she could do it. My fear was that she would get hit by a car more than anything else. She likes to run after things - you know that sight hound thing they have going on - and I could picture her dead on the road. She has gotten away 3 times, once in a graveyard where she came back after I tricked her into thinking I had cookies and twice when the front door was open and she pushed her way out. Then she came home and was sitting on porch while I was out looking for her. I'm a lot more careful about open doors around her now. Anyway, Do you have the website where you can look up their careers? Ellen's name was really Renier Rellen. She was only 15 months old when we got her so I know she was a loser. If you have it, I'd like to get to it and look up her track record.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

lehigirl - go to http://www.rosnet2000.com/ - then click on Greyhound Data. Actually I tried her name, but got no record in either race chart, genesis or litter mates. I checked and Josh's parents are not listed, either - at least as racers. But, you go ahead and try - good luck! Do you know where she raced?

Somehow I did locate one of Josh's littermates, but I lost her email address when our computer crashed. Now, I cannot remember how I found her. Does Ellen have a tatoo in her ear? One of them should be her litter number. I will keep looking and if I find another site, I will let you know. I have added you to my buddy list, so I do not lose you!

Have a great week!