Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-16-2002, 05:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Losing a pet

Well, I had the sad job of helping my Mom bury her 10 yr old poodle. She was just beside herself with sadness. Her dog has been with her since my Dad passed and she talked to him everyday like a person and cooked for him! Oh my, what a job! Luckily she has another pup, a daushand...that is still a young pest...it will keep her busy and she still has someone to cook for.

janet
Old 08-16-2002, 09:15 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm sorry....

I went through the same thing myself about a year ago with our old dog of 12 yrs. . We had to have her put to sleep and it just about broke our hearts. We have a new poodle (9 months old now) and she is definitely a joy. We still miss and talk about our old friend but we do enjoy the new one too. (((((hugs for your mom))))) Hope she does fine without her buddy.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Prairie Rose, Thank you for the kind words. My Mom seems to be doing okay, I check with her a couple of times each day. She is keeping busy and she does have another pup to care for.
Pets are so much a part of our lives, I can't imagine life without them.

janet
Old 08-22-2002, 11:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

last month we had to put our 15 year old dog to sleep. It is such a hard thing to do. Kodi had lost most of her sight and hearing, had arhtritis in her hips and finally developed congestive heart failure. When we took her in, our vet said that her heart was barely pumping. I had slept on the couch by her that night, she was gasping so bad. She was a shepherd/chow mix (mostly shepherd) and he said that she had lived a long time for that breed. We adopted a greyhound 2 years ago - knowing that Kodi was old, and we love him, but nothing replaces the one's spot in your heart - they create another one. Thank goodnes we all still have our memories and can reflect back on those and know they are no longer suffering.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Ladydove, One month is not a long time to grieve..give yourself more time...I could not hardly even look at another dog when I had to put my pet to sleep 4 1/2 yrs ago...we were just devastated...she was like a child to me and another Mother to my son...she used to watch after him when he was out sledding and if she sensed danger she would jump on the sled and pull him off by his hood! lol

My son took it so hard and finally after 2 weeks we took all our dogs stuff to the Humane shelter for their dogs...we walked their dogs and my son fell in love with a bordercollie mix...he was happy and playing with the new dog in the snow...he came in the shelter and asked the lady...just what do I have to do to take this dog home today??? So we let him get a dog, it was his dog...I wasn't ready for a new dog, so I kept my distance...then I got seriously ill and my sons dog kept coming up on my bed to check on me and sleep with me...and he would follow me to and from the bathroom, or wherever I went...so my sons dog gave me much comfort while I was laid up and he still watches over me. He is sleeping at my feet now as I type. Dogs are just great for people!

janet
Old 09-21-2002, 03:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Last week (one week ago today) we hade to put our beautiful dog Shaker to sleep. A very painful and guiltridden feeling.

On the 13th, Shaker had a seizure in front of me but I never saw one so I thought she was chiking to death in front of my eyes. I was in the backyard freaking to bad and so loud that my daughter knew not to come out. Anyway, after 10 mintes she was up and fine.

The morning of the 14th we took her to the vet and she once again had one in front of me.. it KILLED me to see these and I still can not get that image out of my head since seeing it. Talk about sleepless nights.

After that seizure, I called my husband and daughter in the office and while sI had my dd in the waiting area, I had my dh with Shaker talking to the vet.

TO back up a bit, Shaker is..was 10 years old and was on medication for bad legs (tendons and ligiments snapped but was getting around fine)... then about 2 months ago she had a tumor removed from her neck that was cancerous. It seemed that the cancer went to the brain and that is what was causing the seizuers.

With the seizure she had she messed her legs up more and even her hip so it was time....

We still can't believe she is not with us.

Ok, I have to stop before I electrocute myself from these tears.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Shawn, I am so sorry - it is so hard to see them hurting or having problems. We don't always know what is wrong and they do not understand.

It is so hard without them - even though it has been several months since we had to have Kodi put to sleep, last night I called our greyhound "Kodi". I stilll expect to Kodi at the foot of our bed each morning.

WIll be thinking of you and your family!
Old 10-08-2002, 03:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We are still looking for and calling for Shaker.

My daughter wants a picture of Shaker in her room so we were going through a few to see which one we liked best. We did find one but the tears were sure flowing while doing so.

SHw will be very missed.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Shawn, Have you thought about a new pet? When our dog of 10 yrs passed on, my son had a very hard time...I was afraid he would get depressed...he was always looking for her, dreaming of her, so finally I had to put my own feelings away and we went to visit the shelter..you guessed it..we came home with a mutt...border collie mix and he is real cute...can't believe it has been 5 years now. My son still misses our other dog..but now remembers all the fun things and he sure picked out the perfect dog for him...now I went and got my own dog last year...it took me 5 years to get over the loss of our other dog...I just didn't want to hurt like that again....now I found the perfect dog....so we are a happy family with 2 happy dogs! lol

janet
Old 10-09-2002, 02:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We may get a new pet in the spring. Hunter is not having a real hard time of it (thankfully).