Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Pets & Animals

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Help in choosing a dog for our family

Our son is wanting a dog and my husband and I think that this is a good idea--his older brother's are soon to be leaving the home leaving him the one and only. We want to get a dog that will fit in with our family. The plan is to get a small to medium size one who will be primarily a house dog. Any suggestions!
Old 08-09-2002, 02:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

buying a dog

Well I saw you want a small dog but will give you my two cents anyway.
We have a golden retreiver & highly reccomend them! We had her prior to the birth of our 2 yr old granddaughter & wondered how she would handle the baby. It has been wonderful. She ha never bothered any of the baby toys from day one & is very gentle with her.
The down fall of course is the size as you want small & the other problem with Goldens is they do shed alot.
Please make sure you can handle a dog & that it will not be left home alone for long periods of time. Dogs need attention & love just like kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2002, 07:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks for the imput. I have had in the past a golden retriever and loved her until she passed many years ago. The reason I want a small to medium size dog is so that I can handle her--pick her up, etc. I will be her primary caretaker and want her to be able to fit into our lives easily. We love big dogs but not for our lifestyle at the present. Anybody else have any ideas?
Old 08-11-2002, 07:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

There are many good dogs available, but I had a Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie) that lived to be 16 and the best friend I ever had. Nice medium sized dog with wonderful temperment, but does require brushing alot. But she loved it and we used that to bond! They are loyal and willing to please. I did give her a beginner obedience training class, but it was more for me also! She went eveywhere I went, and never had a complaint. Good luck and every boy needs a dog!
Old 08-11-2002, 08:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Getting a new dog.

When we bought our first dog, we talked with the American Kennel Club. We told them what we were looking for - friendly, medium size, good with children, etc. They recommended several breeds. We ended up with a Brittany Spaniel which was very hyper. Now I am satisfied with a mixed breed dog. Mine is healthy, friendly and very calm. The one recommendation I have is to get a dog with fur and not hair. ****ers, poodles, shelties, etc. all need to have their hair cut and it is more than I pay to get my own hair cut.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb This might help....

Here's a link to IVillage's "Breed Selector":

http://www.ivillage.com/pets/tools/b...tions/dog/size

It takes you through a number of questions about your lifestyle and what you're looking for, then suggests several breeds based upon your answers. It's really great!!

Personally, I would recommend a beagle (like we have - don't get very big and they're WONDERFUL family dogs!), or, as mentioned above, a Sheltie. My sis-in-law has one and has two children under the age of three! Her dog is fabulous with the kids (even though they came into the family after he did!). I've read/heard on several occasions that Shelties are one of the smartest breeds of dogs in the entire world, and after spending time with my SIL's dog, I believe it!! Enjoy and good luck to you!!!

- Henry Rowland
Old 08-11-2002, 08:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We're also in the process of choosing a family dog. We're leaning towards beagle. I had one as a teenager and she was great. Not too big, great personality, highly trainable. And pretty darn cute!
Old 08-11-2002, 09:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We are also considering a dog for our two DS. Since we want ours to be mostly an indoor dog, we don't want one too big. My "dream pet" had always been a Golden Retriever.........MUCH
to big to be kept in the house a lot!

After looking at a couple of breeds recommended by our vet, we are strongly leaning to a Boston Terrier. You might want to check those out!
Old 08-11-2002, 09:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Y'all....

Umm you've failed to give you're child's age...that would be helpful.... *s* In the small dog category, that doesn't require
trips to the groomer and that is smart and sturdy, I would recommend a rat terrier....

In the medium category, believe it or not a labrador retriever is a medium sized dog....they are easy to care for.....
An australian shepherd is a medium sized dog.

Perhaps if you tell us what you consider small and medium we can help you pick from your list.

Beagles are cute but can be difficult to housebreak. I know someone will say not true, *chuckle* but remember there are exceptions to everything.
Brittany Spaniels are very active and need a lot of exercise.
In fact most dogs need exercise.

Just know that whatever you pick, you must have the dog trained, it must be crate trained at night, this helps with potty training. And since the dog will live a good 10-15 years, it's a life committment. Please heed what I say about this. There are too many dogs that are thrown out because of lack of training, or the people are NOT ready for a dog. It depends what your life style is whether it can really support a dog.

And you have to also factor in the cost of vetting, vaccines and food.....If you can't afford it, please don't get one. I'm trying so hard not to sound like I am preaching...*chuckle* Just trying to give you food for thought... *smiling*

If you want some help, please don't hesitate to contact me...

[email protected]

I've trained and titled dogs and bred them for over 25 years....
My breed is a german shepherd. Again, this is not a breed for everyone... and I don't recommend it for everyone.

And in case y'all didn't know....the smartest dogs are from the herding breeds....*s* Again, they are not for everyone. Border collies are the smartest breed, but must be kept busy doing something......it would be an ideal dog if your son wants to get into agility training or frisbee tossing.. So please let us hear your ideas, what you want the dog to do, and what you want to do and where the dog will spend the day etc....that all helps determine breed...or if even a dog is suitable ..... *s*

Jeannie
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2002, 09:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I was just looking at the website for the Anti-Cruelty Society in Chicago the other day and they say that all their dogs are completely checked out by a vet (big savings there), come with a collar and leash and all tags/shots/worming and also offer free training classes on how to care for your dog. They also offer free classes and information on handling any special problems that may occur such as chewing, jumping up on people, etc. They also say that if you don't have time to take advantage of the free classes that they have people who will be glad to give you any information that you need over the phone as well as free literature in the mail and also all dogs come with a microchip embedded under the skin just in case, God forbid, they are ever lost or stolen (again, all for free). I think that they do charge a $100 one time fee to partially cover their overwhelming expenses but I think that the charge is more to make sure that the family is really serious about giving the pet a good home and not just a free animal to abuse. (also keeps the wrong people from getting their hands on free animals to use for dog fights, etc.). A very small price to pay for all that you get in return, namely unconditional love from a best friend for years to come and you would be saving the life of an innocent animal as well.

Last edited by Bob; 08-11-2002 at 01:52 PM.