Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We bought a puppy for our son (only child/8 years old) the beginning of June. We adopted her through PetsMart (here in Charlotte they work in conjunction with a local Humane Society). We got a female ****er mix who should not get over 25 lbs. She is wonderful and the perfect size for hopping in your lap, laying on the bed or riding in the car. We just love her and she has a wonderful personality. The cost was $60 which included her adoption fee, first round of shots, flea treatment and 1st deworming treatment. We also adopted a cat through PetsMart 3 years ago. Plus, all the stuff you need to get started on your new adventure is right there in the store!
Old 08-15-2002, 09:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

family dog

Juliecc913,
Congratulations on the decision to get your son a dog. With some careful planning you will have a lifelong friend. I do animal rescue and can make some suggestions towards your search.

Contact a local rescue group in your area that does foster care. Try fostering the dog you think you might want with the possibility for permanent placement. If you get an older dog, you will forego chewing, housebreaking and the hard part of owning a puppy. Pick a dog with a temperament you like. personality is everything. Not all dogs of the same breed have the same temperament. Some groups will do temperament testing. Food is very important on keeping down hyperactivity of small breeds like terriers. Feed a good quality food you have purchased at a pet food store. You do get what you pay for down the road with lack of medical bills and allergies. I personally feed Precise which is made in Nacogdoches Texas, it's the best quality I have found for my money.
Be sure to take your son and dog through an obedience class so they both learn.

I have fostered all different breeds and can't give you a recommendation on what breed is right for you. There are so many wonderful dogs out there.

If there is no rescue group near you, surf the web, there are plenty out there. Contact me if you want additional information or some rescue group contacts if you don't know how to surf.

Good luck, Karen
Old 08-15-2002, 05:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Shelties are awesome smaller dogs. (they look like a minature collie pretty much). The herding breeds often make good pets -- smaller ones for inn doors. I have a friend who's Sheltie "herds" its toys up into a pile. It also nips at heels of the girls when they are out playing -- so may not be ultimate for little kids -- though it make keep them from making a mad dash at street!

On purchasing -- check with your vet and others in town. THey know their clients and their dogs.

CHeck with AKC Obedience groups and if possible go to an AKC confirmation (where dogs are shown for looks) show. You will see tons of breeds, and can get cards from lots of breeders. THey often sell pups that they deem not to be show quality much cheaper. That doesn't really mean anything either. Many a champion dog was a god awful pup. Breeders are full of stories of dogs that they "placed" because they didn't want to keep to show. THose dogs became champions and once I was at a show where one beat it's father!
Old 08-16-2002, 01:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

PUGS, PUGS, PUGS!!!

How silly of me!!! In my haste to defend my beagle, I completely spaced out about pugs!!! WONDERFUL dogs!!!! SUPER family pets!!! I had the honor of "puppy-sitting" one (snicker..."puppy" was actually seven years old!), a little over two years ago when my friends went out of town on a cruise. He was truly a character, but dh and I both fell for him!!! Since that time, my friends have had a baby (a bonus from the cruise!), and though it took some time (after all, HE - the pug - was the baby of the family until then), they warmed up to each other quite nicely and have been great together ever since!!!

If you don't get a beagle (ahem), then by all means, take a look at pugs.....they're GRRRRRRRRRRREAT!!! (My horrible Tony the Tiger impression there...). Enjoy!!!

- Henry Rowland
Old 08-16-2002, 04:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Question bwsmom

I have no clue where I got the notion, but I always thought pugs were delicate pets.....not a pet for young boys!

So, I've been wrong in my thinking??

If so, we may have to put more into the thought process before we get a pet for our two DS's. We were leaning towards a Boston Terrier but if I was misinformed on pugs......well that may just change things!!!!
Old 08-16-2002, 04:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

They're not delicate, but....

Based on what I learned from my friend before I puppy-sat for her, the main thing with pugs is that you have to be careful of their eyes. Their faces are very flat, so they have nothing to provide a buffer zone (like a nose) between the pup's eyes and a ball, a wall, or what have you. But, if you're careful (and the kids will learn this really quickly too), the pup will do quite well with play. My friend's pug was a total love pup.....just wanted to be cuddled....even climbed under the blankets with us when we went to sleep.....and then snored his brains out!!! It was hilarious!! Enjoy!!

- Henry Rowland
Old 08-16-2002, 05:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Boston terriers and pugs are both great small dogs. I would like to add, tho, that pugs are kinda noisey. They snort and grunt and at night they snore. Just wanted to mention that in case you guys are light sleepers. Never know!!!
Old 08-16-2002, 05:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

More on Pugs...I've had one Pug or another for 20+ years. I have never, ever had an eye injury. Dogs have a second inner eyelid that helps protect eye.

But snore, yeah. Kinda forgot that. But I also have an English Bulldog (which is also a wonderful kid dog in the sense they won't hurt and are extremely loving and gentle--but LAZY). The bulldog's snoring so outdoes the Pug, I don't notice Pug anymore.
When you are looking at pets, keep in mind that any flat nosed breed (Pekineese, boxer, bulldog, mutt) will snore and snort. Short air passage in nose is culprit.

Honestly, they are awesome with kids, even if they haven't been raised with them. The one drawback is that every one I've ever met has a tendency to play hard to get (read impossible to get) when you try to "catch" one. It may be the playing instinct that is so strong; I don't know. But they will run circles, run straight at you like they are coming right to you; stop on a dime and make a radical right/left turn and goooo. Good news is that obedience training works. Like with any dog, it's a must.

Fifty years ago my brother (then 5) had a Pug. A man at our house offered him $50 for his dog. My brother looked dead at him and said "If you can catch him, you can have him" (The dog came to my brother and no one else.

We lived on a farm. The pug would go out with my brother to wherever. If my mom called, Pug would come running then turn around and run straight back to my brother. He could never play hide and seek unless he put his master in the house (where she always got out when brother was outside!)

Again good luck.

Another tip on finding a pet. If you see a dog out walking, in a car, etc. Ask their owner. SOmetimes you luck out. ALso, go to Yahoo groups (any group site) on net. Post.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

pound puppies

Just one tip... if you are getting a dog from a shelter/pound, you may want to ask how or why it got there. If it was a pick-up or turned in because it always runs away, chances are it will repeat that pattern. That could be rough on a loving little boy. ALL dogs deserve good homes, though. Training , a good fence and being sure to leave the gate closed could be enough. Just a thought. Sounds like you are very caring, taking such time to make a good decision. I have found over the years that any breed can have a wonderful personality- it depends on the people who own it. The main consideration is the breeds traits.... will it be active enough? calm enough? etc. Can you deal with its more negative habits... barking, digging, excessive licking, excessive shedding etc. Good luck with your search.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hiya megamom. Love the name!!!!