Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Julie...
I did get your email and I'll post some info here as well and I will email you too.

RUN don't walk from pet store dogs. They are from puppy mills that mistreat animals. They are overpriced and usually not the best quality. That's not to say you can't find a good one, but chances are against that.

First thing I'd like for you to decide is breed. With a child that might be a bit active, and for a good ole family dog that is good with kids and not too delicate and loves to play...I really suggest a medium sized dog....a lab.

We are going to start by talking to some of the vets in your area.
Find out who the breeders are and who they would recommend.

If you can't get a recommendation from them, then there are other avenues. I don't suggest breed clubs because each breeder will say their dogs are the best. They are in the business of selling..so they aren't going to tell you anything negative..*chuckle*

There are tests you can do, there are observations you can make, look at the sire and the bitch...look at their disposition, see how they act around other people.. ASK to see OFA hip and elbow certification on BOTH... OFA certification tells you whether or not the parents have hip dysplasia....I WOULD NOT BUY ANY PUP FROM ANY BREEDER THAT CAN NOT PRESENT ON REQUEST, OFA CERTIFICATION. It's not a guarantee,but it cuts your chances of getting a dog that will develop dysplasia. I also suggest contacting some trainers, but only those that train in positive and negative reinforcement. You want someone that can test pups and pick out the right pup in the litter for you...it's worth a fee if they will do it....they probably will do it for free if they will get to train the dog with you....

Ask to see if the parents have any titles or certifications...such as Canine Good Citizen......it's a wonderful test given to dogs...and it really shows the dog's nature . It also shows the breeder's responsibility to breed a trainable dog.

I also suggest that people really think very hard and long BEFORE getting a dog. They are a responsibility, they are not like disposable diapers or a game to be thrown out when you're tired of them.
Think of it as a 10 -13 year investment. *smiling*

They take a LOT of work. They take time to train. They cost money to feed and vet. They ARE a family member.

You need also to invest in a crate and chew toys.
You need to be willing to invest the time to do the training with the help of a trainer.
On training...cookies and clickers do not make for reliable training.
The world is based on positive and negative reinforcement. So is dog training...*s*

So tell us what you expect of a dog.
where he/she will sleep
how old your kids are
if you have a yard
and then we can go from there once you decide you want a dog.
And...are all family members in agreement about getting a dog...
Old 08-13-2002, 04:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

dogs for kids!!!

I AGREE with the person,[sorry I forget the name ] DONT get from a pet store!!!! ALTHOUGH our dog has been fine,really,he did have kennel cough...and they said they would PAY for the vet check BUT NEVER DID!!!!!!!! BUT he does have something wrong with his feet....nothing bad BUT I bet it was from the litter he came from!!!!! and you never know what you are getting!!!! and you really DO SPEND MORE!!!!!!!!

I liked the thing about getting a dog then a kid!!CUTE!!!!

Good luck with your search!!! sounds like you have done ALOT on the research!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!! I KNOW THAT YOUR DOG WILL BE LOVED!!!!
Rememeber to get lots of chew treats for puppy treats!!!and remind the kids to get there stuffed animals OFF the floor!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2002, 05:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi Julie, I don't know if you have purchased a dog or not but I wanted to add my 2 cents. I have had purebred dogs, and mutts! I think mutts make the better family dog, as long as you get one that has some great traits...I have owned boxers, dobermans, collie, labs, and many mixed breeds.. small dogs tend to be on the nippy side with small children...now when my child was growing up he wallered all over a Lab dog and the dog didn't mind having blankets, and toys wrapped on him...but a poodle or terrier would have a fit! Just like a doberman would...alot of people like the small beagle pup for kids...I had them when I was growing up too!

Now that my child is older, we adopt large dogs and they all have been sweet! I absolutely hate how people dump their pets so I try to adopt from our shelter...right now I have 2 dogs, a greyhound and a bordercollie...they are both great! and they both came from the shelter. I keep telling hubby we have room for one more!:p

Good luck with your hunt for the perfect pet.

janet
Old 08-13-2002, 06:11 PM
Nine Year Member

German Shepards

I always had German Shepards but do not recommend them to everyone. My last one was hard to control. Had a mind of her own. Since she did not have any children around she wanted all the attention. After she died I never got another dog. I still miss the company but try not to give in. Sueanne
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2002, 06:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sueanne...
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog...but why deny yourself the companionship of another? *hugs*

I agree wholeheartedly, German Shepherds are NOT for everyone.
There are those that are real hard, those that are in the middle and those that are soft. There are also those that because of poor breeding, are dangerous. And that is true of every breed.

I have had GSD's as my personal dog all my life ...and that's a long time in this forum..*chuckle* I'm one of the young senior citizens. I've been around just about every breed. Some I never want to ever be around again. I have also had mixed breeds. And even though they are some of the best, you have to know what to look for and how to pick.
If anyone is looking for a dog and doesn't know where to begin, it begins with research.

If y'all want, I'll post a bunch of sites for you.....

I'll be glad to help anyone looking.....my email is...

[email protected]

Jeannie
Old 08-14-2002, 06:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

First of all, BWSMOM, I loved the reasons why dogs are easier than kids list you put up. Too funny.

Secondly, I just want to thank everybody for all of their imput. This is really helping me alot. You are all so obviously dog lovers and I (and I'm sure others) really appreciate the imput.

Third, Jeannie thanks for the web sites in your e-mail. They will be VERY helpful.

and Finally, I Promise I Will NOT Buy a Dog From a Pet Store!!! Hope no one will think I am shouting too loud but I get the message and it did reinforce my initial thoughts about that prospect. Again. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Julie....very good luck to y'all in your search..please keep us posted .... *s*

Jeannie
Old 08-14-2002, 12:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

family dog

Lots of suggestions! DOn't overlook the local pound or humane society. You would be amazed at the # of purebreds there. ALso if you are set on a particular breed, check for rescue dogs. You have to be willing to undergo scrutiny; but they don't expect anything that you shouldn't be prepared to offer for the health and safety of a new dog.

On word on terriors--they are an extremely intelligent, loving breed. But remember, they are hunters/ratters whatever by nature. So if you (or you neighbors) have cats, hamsters, etc. watch out. My sisters Yorkies (tiny terriers) "kill" their stuffed animals every morning.

Pugs are a time honored favorite for families with children. THey are the largest of the small breeds. THey have sturdy bones, lots of extra skin (you can't pinch them accidently---like a toddler) and they have been bred, were originated by CHinesse, to be companions to children. They are a lively breed, love to play.

And if your son is old enough, have him sign up for obedience. If not, you do it. It will make a life long difference in the quality of your relationship with dog.

I envy you. I absolutely adore getting a new dog. I've got three (pug is 12). Good luck! and let us know!
Old 08-14-2002, 12:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I've been sharing with my husband the information I'm getting. He is quite appreciative, as am I. A pug is something we hadn't even considered--no particular reason--but we will add that one to the list. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Check out this site for info on Havanese. http://www.familycorner.com/forums/newreply.php3 They are great dogs. If intrigued, I urge you to do a search and check them out. They are small silky good natured family dogs.
Also check out info on King Charles Spaniels. They are similar in temperment to the Havanese.
I highly reccomend Shelties. Mine is 12yo. Very obedient, sweet, gentle,beautiful and good with my three 7yo daughters. They DON'T need haircuts as someone suggested. They DO need brushing. They are barkers by nature [ being herders] but they don't dig or chew. I much rather have a dog bark... no lasting damage.

I have had a doxie- loving, shedding, licking dogs. Not my cup of tea.
Beagles are fun, active dogs. But are known diggers and runners. Must have a good fence to confine them. Need training to allow them off leash or they will disappear And I agree with Abear93... small [not teacup] poodles are great.

That's all.