Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

klcrn & bwsmom

klcrn - my DD's doxie is as ferocious as your lab! She acts like she could bite your leg off but if you reach down to pet her, the mouth stops and she rolls over hoping to have her belly rubbed!!

Gotta love them though!

I also have a friend that had a Rottweiler that was the biggest marshmallow I've seen! The only way he would have even barked at anyone was of they started heading toward my friend's daughter when she was in the yard playing.

On the other hand, when I was a child (MANY moons ago!), a neighbor down the street had a chihuahua that was the MEANEST dog I've ever seen! You could not even pass their house on the sidewalk if that dog was out! He would run at you and bite your ankles!

bwsmom - we got a beagle/poodle mix when I was in middle school. That was the sweetest dog I've ever seen to this day! She looked like a beagle except she had curly hair! Anyway, the only time she would howl would be when a firetruck, ambulance, etc.. would come down our street with the sirens blaring. I don't know how protective she would have been as she was never put in a position to show it.

Although I do not think that a beagle is the breed we need at this point & time (because of their need to be outside a lot), I would LOVE to have another one in the future.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I've just read all of your posts to my questions and first off, I have to say thank you so much for the wealth of information, suggestions and opinions. You've given me much to contemplate.

One of the posts mentioned that I didn't say how old our son was and other one asked about his temperment. Okay. He is four years old and ALL boy (he needs a dog--I agree). He loves to run about and plays hard. He is very loving and is really excited about getting a dog.

I am very willing to take our dog to obedience training classes and to spend the money to properly care for him or her as this dog will be a member of our family.

If anyone else has anything to add to the thread, please do. The more information I have the better. Thanks you all again.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Julie. Be sure to let us know what kind of dog you decide to get. I'm with you, it's been very interesting reading all the posts to your question. It's amazing how willing everyone is to help. I hope you enjoy your search for the perfect pet. I'm sure you and your son will find exactly what you're looking for. Kudos to you for doing your research first. I love when that happens. I mentioned in an earlier post that I'm a vet tech, so if I can offer any advice or answer any questions, please let me know.

Katie
Old 08-13-2002, 06:43 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ok have to add my 2 cents worth

Now I agree that poodles are NOT for everyone and might not be what you have in mind for your 4 yr. old boy BUT in their defense (can you tell I'm a poodle lover already?)....... They don't HAVE to be snappy, yappy little dogs. They come in about 4 sizes (maybe only 3 "officially"). You can get em as big as a greyhound or as small as a chihuahua (the ORIGINAL snappy, yappy and sometimes mean little dog). I've had several dogs in my lifetime as well. We had an Australian Sheppard mix that was to die for. She lived 18 yrs. and wouldn't eat anything but left overs. We had to put our 12 yr. old Min. Schnauzzer to sleep about a year ago due to cancer. We loved her dearly but she didn't have the best temperament in the world. She loved to play and was loving, not mean but didn't mind well once she started after a car or a cat, or barking at the door at a visitor. I've had a couple of poodles......They are the 2nd smartest dogs (according to the AKC just under the herders) and they are the most loving, cheerful, loyal, sweet natured dogs in the world IF you socialize and never traumatize with your disciplining methods (hitting, etc...). They really and truly want to please you. Good luck with your search......I just had to defend the poodle here....they always get bashed for what is mostly an owners' mistake.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

PrairieRose

Its funny that you brought up poodles! My parents happen to be looking for one right now. They want one of the smaller ones -- not a standard. They want more of a lap dog after having a chow for 17 years! (she was a sweet companion but recently died of heart failure)

Anyway, after discussing the matter with their vet, he recommended the poodle! My Dad has to have a dog that is not long haired & does not shed..or sheds very little. My father has been in remission from lung cancer for 3 yrs now and his doctors put their foot down on the hair/shedding issue!

Ok..getting to my point.......you echoed the same thought the vet said about poodles being basically a very good dog that gets a bad rap due to the owners! The vet suggested that (1) my parents & the new pet attend an obedience class or two as soon as possible after getting the poodle and (2) they give her lots of love & attention! (NO problem on that one !)
Old 08-13-2002, 10:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

family dog-

Hi. I read where you looking for suggestions for a family dog.-
By the time you read this you may already have one. But anyway I wanted to post my suggestion. I am a mother of 2- My son is in first grade this year & my daughter will be 3 next month. My husband wanted to get a puppy for the kids at Christmas time. I was a little leary, but decided the kids would love it. My huisband, Mark wanted to get a Jack Russel Terrior. I really did not know much about Jack Russels- My husbad said the kids would never tire him out & they love to play. Well he was right. But I would not recommend a Jack Russel for a family with younger children. They are sooo hyper & hard to train. But I still love ours. His name fits- Rascals. My sister still lives with my mom & she has a miniture daushhound named Maisy. She is soo sweet & calm & is great with the kids. I think a daushhound would fit great with your family.
Have a great week & good luck!
samanthaj
Old 08-13-2002, 10:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Julie...

The very first thing I always advise those who are contemplating getting a pup/dog for their kids is, that the child/children understand that the dog is a LIVING creature that deserves respect. That is, they don't hit, throw, toss the pup around. They are animal babies and are subject to injury just like a human.

They must understand also that the dog has a right to be left alone for a period of time, allowed to rest and eat.

Since you tell me that your child is an active boy, I really suggest a lab. When you are ready to purchase, it's worth the evaluation of a knowledgeable dog trainer to help you pick out the right pup for you from a litter. Sometimes the breeder can do this, but not all are that informed, believe me.
There are tests to be done for pain sensitivity, noise sensitivity etc. and, you don't want a dog that is easily 'offended'. A good trainer understand what I am talking about.

Also, I'm pleased to hear you are willing to go to obedience lessons, but be advised, no matter the breed of dog, the dog needs to obey all in the family. It would be good for all to watch and take turns in obedience classes. Once your dog has learned a command with the adults, then it must perform that command for the kids...and it can be done with children as young as 4... I know, I've done it and I've seen it happen.

Take all the precautions you would with a child when you have a pup. They ARE curious and will get into evvvvvverything..*chuckle* The only advantage is that they grow up faster than human kids.... *s*

I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have if you wish
contact.

Although I am always for getting a pound pup, you must be very careful in doing so. 1- you don't know the real reason the dog was given up...2-- you don't really know what the mix is....3-...you don't know how socialized it is.....
Kennel help only take care of them. Most of the time I've seen the wrong "mix" statement cages, so be very careful. I've managed to get really good dogs from the pounds for people seeking them. So again, please bring a knowledgeable person with you.

Jeannie
[email protected]
Old 08-13-2002, 01:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Jeannie,

Thanks for your thoughts. I did e-mail you with an additional questions, but thought I'd put it in here too for the other's to read.

Questions: Do you have any suggestions as to where best to buy our new dog? We live in a good size city so we probably have lots of options to choses from. After reading some of the posts, I hate to just pick up the phone book and call just anyone and is a pet store really a good place to go? I suppose it all depends on the store. Anyway. Suggestions?

Thanks again--everyone.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Exclamation My 2 cents!

I know that the question was not directed to me........BUT..........

PLEASE do not get your dog from a pet store!! They are usually not very well cared for.......and more often than not, mistreated!
Why pay big bucks for that when you can get one from the local Humane Society for considerably less????

Each time we have gotten a dog, we have looked through the pet section of the paper. Then we go check out a breeder's facility along with the "parents" of the puppy.

Again.......PLEASE......don't buy from a pet store!!!

BTW-- I just found out less than an hour ago that the neighbors just got a beagle puppy! How did I find out? I heard howling and went to see where it was coming from! He is the CUTEST thing! He's probably howling because the neighbors don't have a fence and they have him chained up outside in the heat! There is food & water out for him along with a tiny amount of shade.....but STILL !!! They had gotten their 2 yr old a Golden Retriever about 2 months ago. He was also chained up outside when they went to work each day. They came home one day to find him gone. They still do not know if he was stolen or got loose and ran away. They put up fliers offering a $ 100.00 reward but nothing ever came of it.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Isn't that just awful the way some people treat their pets!?!? I can't believe they would go out and get another one when it was their own dumb fault the dog disappeared in the first place!!!

Anyhoo, on a MUCH lighter note, I came across the following as I was sorting through some magazines to recycle....enjoy!

"WHY DOGS ARE BETTER THAN KIDS"

It doesn't take 45 minutes to get a dog ready to go outside in the winter.

Dogs cannot lie.

Dogs never resist nap time.

You don't need to get extra phone lines for a dog.

Dogs don't pester you about getting a kid.

Dogs don't care if the peas have been touched by the mashed potatoes.

Average cost of sending a dog to school: $42. Average cost of sending your kid: $103,000!!

Dogs are housebroken by the time they are 12 weeks old.

Your dog is not embarassed if you sing in public.

If your dog is a bad seed, your genes cannot be blamed.

- authored by Jennifer Berman in "Why Dogs are Better than Kids" (Andrews McMeel Publishing)

- Henry Rowland