Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I know it would be hard to get items to YOUR shelter--but maybe it would encourage folks to give to a shelter near them. I'm sure that most shelters would need just about the same things!!
Old 01-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Yes, when I posted the list, I didn't intend for it to be at the shelter near me but to give idea's to all of you to use for shelter's near you.

When I say the list I just thought wow! They need alot of stuff. These animals need fresh blankies and new toys just like any other animal. Just one of those things that someone else always thought of to do until you are exposed to the need then you want to help out.

So gather up your stuff, give your shelters a call and see what they can use. I can't imagine them turning things down. My place even asks for volunteers to wash the blankets and towels they already have if the animal has worn them out.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My New Puppy

I was recently in your position of wanting a family pet, we have a cat, but we wanted a puppy. We had gone to the humane society over a year ago and there we found a part black lab/ part Newfoundland puppy. He was very sweet, but not small. He didnt even shed much and loved everyone to death. But he was high maintenance. He ate everything, and I do mean everything. (he actually ate 24 rolls of toilet paper one night!) And the bigger he got, the worse it was on my smaller children who just wanted to play with him but he kept knocking them over and walking on them. After 8 months we had to give him away because he had eaten just about everything from shoes, my bed spread to the satellite feed on the side of the house and the phone line! So it took a while before we decided to try again. And I wanted a small dog. I was going to get a pug. But I stopped at a Breeders house that had a sign for Monkey Dogs. I thought what the heck is a Monkey Dog? It turns out it is part of the terrier group. It is actually an Affenpinscher. It doesnt grow very big, kinda looks like a cross between Yoda and a gremlin. I bought the last one there, a boy puppy we named Zippy. He has been a great puppy so far. He isnt hyper, rarely barks, loves everyone, is so tiny I carry him in a purse. The only downfall I can say is the price for this dog. He cost me $600.00 and that is because he is a purebreed. I love him to death and so do all of the kids. He has fit in really well with the family (kids ages 5, 8, 9, 13, 17, 19) and my DH and myself. He is almost 3 months old, weighs maybe 2 lbs and is so much fun. I know that black labs are supposed to be good dogs, but everyone I know that has owned one including myself, the dog has been hyper. My neighbors across the street have one and she is very hyper and has eaten everything in their house, including the legs off their couch. I think once they get past the teething stage its gets better, however my sister had one for years and it was always hyper and jumpy. But that is just my opinion on black labs. I did have a beagle when I grew up, he was a great family dog. Only down fall was he howled and humped everything in site. Including our cat who I guess liked it because she gave birth to a liter of kittens right in his dog house. And our proud beagle would sit there happy as could be with all those new kittens to look after. Go figure!! There are a lot of little dogs, called toy dogs which make good family pets. I would go to the AKC webpage and check out all the different kinds of dogs available. I can say that Monkey Dogs are very loyal, funny, sweet and good family dogs. They are tiny so until they are full grown to about 8-9 lbs you do have to be careful where you step. But they are sturdy too and have good bones. I know so far we have stepped on Zippy 3 times and he is just fine. Good Luck with your dog search. When you chose one please let us know which kind of dog you have chosen. I am sure you will find the perfect pet for your family. Here is a photo of my dog Zippy. Isn't he just the cutest little thing?
Fish3711
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2003, 12:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

You are right that is the cutest thing.

We went to see the Eskies Saturday. Pretty dogs but high maintenance.

While we were there, one of the local shelters brought in some of their dogs that are being fostered out. I fell in love with a two year old black lab/chow mix. She was the mildest thing and very pretty. My husband didn't however. He says he doesn't want a needy dog but here was this dog who seemed very independent and he didn't care for her. I don't know what to think now. I mean it was even a bigger dog--50 pounds like he said he wanted!!!

I want us to agree on what we get--now I just have to figure out what is going on in DH head right now. He says he doesn't know, can't figure it out because that dog was really everything he said he thought he wanted.

She's going to be featured as the dog of the week in our local newspaper, so she'll probably get adopted. Which is good for her.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Julie ...it's me again... *s*

There is a reason why that dog chow mix was given up...please read this.... and then see what it is that you want. The question y'all have to answer honestly is why do we want a dog,,,,and what do we want from the dog?

Chows do, however, have a very different personality than other dogs. They are cat-like in their attitudes: aloof, reserved with affection, independent, dignified and stubborn. Although their soft fur is ripe for hugging, they don't always enjoy being fussed over by children or strangers. For people who want a cuddly lap dog that will instantly love all their friends, the Chow is likely to be a disappointment.

The Chow Chow is very intelligent but not always easy to train. They don't have the strong desire to please their masters as do breeds like the Golden Retriever. They seem to please themselves first and don't respond to the average methods of training and motivation. They do not tolerate physical punishment and can't be forced into anything. Hitting or beating a Chow will either result in viciousness or a broken spirit. Like a cat, a Chow is only willing to do what suits his mood at the time. He's an independent thinker and will make his own decisions if you don't stay a step ahead of
him! The Chow is a powerful, regal, beautiful animal and he knows it. He expects to be treated with dignity and respect respect that he will return if you show you're worthy of it.

From this description, I think you can see that the Chow Chow is not a breed for everyone. Its temperament is often misunderstood and many people mistakenly believe that Chows are vicious dogs. This breed is naturally suspicious of strangers and very territorial. They take their homes and family very seriously as well as their responsibility to protect what they love. On his own property and especially without his owner present, the Chow can appear to be quite fierce. He will seldom let a stranger pass unchallenged. People used to the warm welcomes of other breeds are
unprepared for the seriousness of the Chow; guests must be greeted by the owners before the dog accepts them.

The Chow's appearance also contributes to the myths about his temperament. The scowling, sometimes wrinkled face, small deepset eyes, and lionlike ruff are intimidating. Some people complain that they can't "read" a Chow's expression as easily as other breeds'. The Chow's natural aloofness, dignity and indifference to people outside his family is often misinterpreted by people who expect most dogs to be outwardly friendly and
affectionate. The Chow saves his affections for those he loves dearly and finds little reason to seek attention from anyone else. He minds his own business and simply doesn't care what other people think of him!

The strong-willed Chow needs an equally strong-willed owner. They have definite minds of their own and can easily become your master if you allow it. Chow puppies are naturally well-behaved, more so than most breeds. They're seldom destructive or disobedient. Because of their good behavior, many people fail to train them properly. When an untrained Chow reaches adolescence, that dreadful teenage stage all dogs go through, he may refuse to accept your authority. We've found that most people who've had behavior problems with their Chows failed to train them and earn their respect.

Although the Chow adjusts well to being alone during your working hours, he prefers to be with you when you're home, not kept as an outside dog. He loves to spend time outside but tied up or confined away from people, he'll become very anti-social. Because of their hunting instincts, Chows without training don't always get along with cats or tiny dogs. They aren't "pack" dogs either and seldom get along with large dogs of the same sex.

In all honesty, some Chows do have temperament problems. The breed went through two periods of dramatic public popularity, once in the 1930's and again during the 1980's. In a rush to cash in on this popularity and sell puppies quickly for a profit, unscrupulous or inexperienced breeders and pet owners often used Chows with unsuitable temperaments for breeding. Believing the myths that Chows were supposed to be unfriendly or aggressive, they didn't know or didn't care that this kind of disposition is not acceptable in reputable circles. Experienced, responsible breeders with a sincere interest in what's good for Chows and the people who buy them refuse to use stock that is aggressive or shy.

The Chow's thick coat requires a lot of care. Puppy coat is very dense and soft, easily tangled and can take several hours a week to groom. The transition period from puppy to adult coat may take several months and your Chow needs to be groomed almost daily during that time. Adult coat is easier to care for but will still need at least an hour or two a week to look its best and prevent matting. Chows shed seasonally, not daily. Once or twice a year they shed their coats and you'll literally be filling trash bags full of hair at that time! Although the smooth coated variety would seem to be less work, it, too, sheds seasonally and needs regular, thorough grooming. You'll need to train your Chow to cooperate and lie on his side during the long hours of grooming. Most Chows would prefer to be groomed by their owners rather than suffer the indignity of going to a professional groomer.

Chows come in five colors: red, black, cream, blue and cinnamon. There's no such thing as "champagne," "silver," "lilac," "chocolate" or "white" Chows -- these "exotic" colors are just creative interpretations of the regularly accepted colors. Colors other than red are not rare and shouldn't cost more. (For detailed descriptions and illustrations of Chow colors, click here.)

Chows' tongues are pink at birth and gradually darken. They should be completely blue-black at the age of eight weeks. Some tongues don't change completely. This fault disqualifies the Chow from the show ring and it shouldn't be used for breeding.

As with any breed, Chows can be prone to various health problems. Hip dysplasia and entropion are probably the most common. The chances that your Chow will become dysplastic are reduced if you buy your puppy from a breeder who x-rays hips of breeding animals and certifies them free of dysplasia before breeding. Ask for a warranty against crippling hip dysplasia for a period of at least two years. It has been estimated that as many as 50 percent of all Chows have hip dysplasia. This percentage would be greatly reduced if more breeders would x-ray their stock before breeding.

Entropion is a condition where the dog's eyelids turn inward toward the eyeball rather than outward as they should. This causes irritation to the eye and if left untreated, can lead to blindness. Entropion is usually inherited but can also be acquired later in life as a result of eye injury or infection. Entropion isn't always apparent in young puppies. When you're shopping for a puppy, you should expect to see, clear, dry sparkling eyes on the parents of the litter. Runny, inflamed eyes or crusty eyelids are
not normal for a Chow and should be treated by a veterinarian.

Skin and hormone problems are also seen in Chow Chows. These, too, are often inherited and seldom apparent in a young puppy. Ask questions about the parents of the puppy you have in mind. If you're not satisfied with the health, appearance or temperament of the parents, do not buy the puppy!

Good temperament in Chows is partly inherited and partly made by good training and socialization. Almost all Chow puppies are friendly and irresistible. Your puppy won't be little for long and you want to be happy with the adult dog who'll share your life for many years to come. Start out on the right foot by choosing a puppy from parents who have the kind of temperament you want! You should be able to touch and handle the parents of your puppy. They shouldn't be overly shy nor aggressive toward you with their owner present. If you don't like the disposition of the parents or can't handle at least one parent of the litter, do not buy the puppy!

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."