Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-03-2002, 06:24 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Snails from a lake

My daughter was collecting shells at the beach the other day (fresh water lake) and ended up with a few snails too. She's very worried that they may die and wants to get them back to the beach. She has also showed an interest in keeping them. Can these snails live in a small fish bowl without a problem? And what do they need to survive?

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-03-2002, 07:29 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

No snails! NO SNAILS!!

I strongly urge you to take them back to the lake! We got one snail once from a fish store(got scooped up with some of the gravel). Within two weeks there were over two hundred snails and counting!! If she really wants to keep them--set up a separate tank! They don't need much to survive--we feed our fish twice a week, and the snails thrived. Hope this helps
Old 08-05-2002, 11:53 AM
kellyandkids

Fun!

OK - I've gotten pregnant snails too! They don't all live. Especially through the rough tank cleaning process I use - cold water and shake the marbles at the bottom.

But generally they are very tough critters and can survive a week to three without water - they close up really tightly!

I don't think an aquarium is complete without a snail. Wild-found snails will bring in algae on their shells and this will start to grow on the glass but that's what they eat.

Algae pellets can be purchased at the pet store. Our lastest snail was a Christmas gift. And we have even kept a happy clam for the winter.

So watch some snails in a jar this winter and do a science project. Change one-half the water with room temp water about every three days. Marbles are great on the bottom and easy to clean.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sanke from Lake

The snails live in a small fish bowl without a problem. You should put some waterplants in and some stone. They will eat the algae, which will develop by themself in the water and on the glas because of the sunlight. You only have to clean the bowl once in a while. They are even very busy with laying eggs and so you will have lots of baby snails after a while. I had them myself when I was a child. It was really very interesting and fun. I thinking about getting some for my kids, too. They are easy to handle and need close to no careing.
Have fun and success, Silke from Germany
Old 08-10-2002, 06:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Exclamation Snails, snails, and MORE snails........

I agree that having a FEW snails is fun...low maintenace, interesting, etc. but WATCH OUT if conditions are right--or sometimes not so right , they multipy faster than mice!! Within a few weeks/months depending on the kind of snail-you can literally have hundreds in no time! But you can always scoop out the extras and take them back to the lake. Be careful though about putting them someplace where they didn't come from. You could introduce a new species into the enviroment and cause problems. If you can't put them back--as bad as it sounds-it would be better to kill the extras by putting them in a jar etc with a little bleach or such.

You can feed them fish food and a little "green stuff" such as lettuce, the tops of celery (I'm not sure about carrots though!) etc.

I think it's great that your daughter "worrys" about the snails enough to want to take them home--some kids would have just stepped on them or something. I hope she has fun with them even if for a little while.....
Old 10-13-2002, 09:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I had 3 snails in my 100 gallon aquarium. They were in with some guppies that i got at the pet store.
That was 3 months ago...now there are well over 150 in there. They are tiny, so it's not a problem, but i did scoop out most of them and put them in the ditch out front. It's full of water, and is better than putting them down the toilet.
I will have to keep up with these guys.....they breed so quickly.