Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-03-2002, 05:22 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Kitten had kittens

There's 3 kittens that adopted us last fall, they were tiny then, so they are just barely a year old. One of them just had kittens about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Yet I still haven't seen them. These kittens don't let us pick them up, though the female does let me pet her now, and I have been reaching under her and checking her teets. They are still soft and feel fairly full, as if she is nursing. In other words, her milk supply doesn't seem to have dried up.

So my questions are:

1) Does a cat's milk supply dry up as quickly as a human after no nursing?

2) When do kittens come out of hiding and start jumping around and playing?

I'm very concerned that the babies didn't live, but we have so many trees and bushes in and around our yard, that it's literally impossible to find where she's hidden them, if they are even alive

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-03-2002, 07:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Kitten had kittens

I don't know the specific answers to your questions but we had a similar situation. A neighbor's cat started to come around our porch so I fed her. A few weeks later I noticed she was going to have kittens. Well, she did manage to have them here about a month later. We could tell immediately that she had them. She never brought them around until they were about a month or so old. She will know and protect them until she feels safe. We managed to keep an eye on the mother cat and one day she felt safe and brought the kittens on our porch and hid them. Slowly they came out to eat. When she would go up in the back yard we would go outside to find them and we did. We were able slowly to handle them when she wasn't around. We did adopt them and they are the best kittens.
We tried to find them earlier and we looked everywhere and assumed they were dead until one day she brought them to us.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:16 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Your story is comforting That is what I am hoping for. I hope she brings them up soon! There is another female cat next door (another stray) that recently had kittens (several months ago) and I honestly wondered if maybe she took the new kittens in and adopted them as her own since this mommy is so young. Hopefully we'll see them soon!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-03-2002, 12:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

The cat's milk will dry up on its own. She may still be nursing the kittens while she keeps them in hiding to protect them. If she barely lets you pet her, I suspect she's hiding them. I'm sure they're playing and having fun, just not out in the open. And it is possible that another cat has adopted the kittens. I wouldn't be too concerned about the kittens, just feed the mom a quality kitten food (has extra nutrition for nursing) and maybe she'll bring you her babies soon. Good Luck!!!
Old 08-08-2002, 09:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi,
It sounds like the kittens are doing well and the mother is being very cautious. When the mother knows the kittens need more to eat, she will slowly begin to bring them around. Maybe you could try to follow her. It sounds like she already trusts you so she may even lead you if she knows you are trying to follow.

Good Luck

***kittens are cute as heck***

Old 08-09-2002, 05:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

kittens can usually leave their mothers by the time they are 6 weeks old, so you probably would've seen them by now if they were still around. I'm afraid you probably have either a false pg (cats have it too), or kitty angels on the go here
Old 08-09-2002, 06:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

As long as her kitten is nursing there should be milk, sometimes in hot weather the supply can dwindle. Mother cats are very protective of their babies...so when she feels safe she bring it out. Also if you have a dog the scent will keep her away.(protecting her baby.)

I had a cat for 18 years and she had 1 kitten at a time, she was
never fixed and when she grew older, she no longer looked for a mate. It worked out great for us, we were always lucky to find a good home for her 1 baby at a time.

When I lived in the country I always had cat, kittens, dogs,& puppies dumped off at the end of our lane. It was a shame, but I guess they thought I had a Big Barn for animals! Some I found homes for and others had to go to the pound.

janet
Old 08-10-2002, 06:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Amanda-

Please don't feel that I think you're "unbright" or anything ( I figure you probably thought of this already but)......if you are able to catch the kitty-check into your local humane society. Many moons ago I was in your situation-found a beautiful cat along the side of the road, took her home and she repayed me by having 4 kittens about 4 weeks later (all females)!!!

We were able to get Momma and 3 babies spayed (someone adopted one of them) for about the cost of one at the vets and they did a great job. We left them overnight and had no problems.

Hope everything works out for you.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Kitten had kittens

We, too, were adopted by a cat last fall. A beautiful Calico kitten, she showed up Sept 19th and I fell in love. A week later I realized her teets were starting to fill, and she was no longer a kitten but fast becoming a MOM. On Nov 11th she had 5 kittens, 3 males, 2 females. I still have two of those kittens(both males), and they nurse whenever she will allow it, which isn't often, but does happen.

As for the rest of your question, the Mother will keep the kittens hidden until they are able to fend for themselves(about 5-7 weeks), however, since you have had no contact with them to this point, they will be basically WILD, and you should be prepared for them to be skittish around humans.

Try buying some non lactose powdered baby formula and setting it out for all the cats. It will improve their health, but be sure it is non lactose, as Lactose(cows milk) is very hard for cats to digest and will cause them to have many problems.

GOD BLESS and Good Luck
Old 08-14-2002, 03:53 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thank you for the advice I have a feeling though that there are no kittens. I know it wasn't a false pregnancy because when she was pregnant I was able to feel babies in her belly. Her milk dried up a few days ago. She's almost getting to the point where I can lift her, I try it everyday, though she still gets very frightened whenb I attempt it. I don't have a cat carrier, so I'll need to get a box to put her in. Thanks for the advice on the humane society too, I will call them and see what they can do. There are 2 other kittens out there that come up to eat, but I've never been able to touch them. Then of course there's the 3 kittens and the mommy NEXT DOOR to me!

I will attempt to catch whoever I can and hopefully be able to get them fixed at a decent price. Thanks everyone!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda