Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-24-2002, 09:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

blushing

KEWL!...but noisy, I'll bet!:p

Old 08-24-2002, 09:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yeah, as a matter of fact, there was quite a bit of squealing going on!!!!

and the pigs were kinda noisy, too, hahahaha.

Katie
Old 08-24-2002, 11:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Merlin... with the girls....

He's the black one in the back. Kali (before she lost her tail) is the Calico, and Meeko is the black & white one. They all camp out on my daughter's bed...

Last edited by bettdev; 08-24-2002 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Oh-how cute!!!

Can you put a piggy in an envelope and mail it to Beaver Falls, PA????

I love baby pigglets---even the grow ups are TOO bad from a distance!!!

Hope Merlin is OK bettdev--and all the babies too Katie!!
Old 08-24-2002, 12:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Those cats are beautiful!!!!!! Thanks for sharing the pic.

I checked on the piglets this a.m. when I got a frantic call from one of the students. All 13 are doing fine. Appears that one got stepped on my momma and will lose one of her nails (or whatever you call them). But her foot is fine. Cleaned her up and she was eating and walking around just fine when I left.

On my way back to the school now, so I'll check in on them one more time today. I'll pick a cute one to mail up to klcrn in PA. Don't forget to check your mailbox!!!!

Katie
Old 08-24-2002, 05:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks Katie... I'll tell the mailman to be on the look out for an "oinking" package!!!

I wonder how post office security would handle THAT one??
Old 10-02-2002, 09:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question cat bit cat???

these people don't have a clue as to what is wrong with my cat.
First vet found 5 puncture wounds on the top of his tail...all infected. Cleaned them out, gave him a penicillin injection, and Clavamox to take home.
Second vet (the next day) found another 3 or 4 punctures on the underside of his tail...again infected. Another injection of a different type of antibiotic...and Baytril to take home. This finally snapped him out of his legarthic state and he began to eat and act normally.
Now there's this spot on his abdomen near where his ...i think...left kidney is. It is grey in color, and where the surrounding pink skin is...there's a raised edge. Looks like a crater...
Tonight while checking him AGAIN...i found MORE puncture marks on his lower abdomen, (actually closer to his butt.) that are infected.
GEEEZE. You'd think that one of those vets would have found all this the 1ST TIME!
He seems to be fine as far as his daily routine, but is constantly licking that grey spot.
I just cleaned the biggest of these wounds, and put antibiotic ointment on it. He wasn't thrilled. I'll continue to clean the smaller ones, until I can get him to the vet monday. He's got plenty of antibiotics to see him thru till then. I think that he's got more injuries than anyone thought.
The old vet will know what to do for him....the other 2 have been too busy bickering about WHO mis-diagnosed him to be of much help. I may go after the 1st one...they took him into the back room, and gave him ANESTHESIA...just to clip the fur off his tail. WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE, OR CONSENT!
What were they thinking?.......

I know its been a long time since i posted to this thread, but my cat Merlin IS STILL RECOVERING.
Seems that either he got bit by a cat, and then a spider (we have black widows in abundance here)...OR he was bitten by a pygmy rattlesnake to begin with. He had to have a biopsy done, and the results were either venom, or a chemical burn.
The puncture wounds on his tail healed, and a day later, there were wounds on his abdomen...and they grew bigger. He ended up with 3 big areas on his hindquarters/ abdomen that the skin was rotting off of. I know it's gross...you shoulda seen it!
More trips to the vet, and after $600.00...HE STILL has open wounds. The vet wants me to come in once a week, and have him sedate Merlin while he trims off the dead skin. At a cost of $80.00 per visit. I have told the vet to please keep me supplied with antibiotics, and I'll trim the skin at home. He ok'ed 1 week's worth.
I love this animal, but enough already! I need shoulder surgery, and can't even afford an MRI now, because of all of this. Merlin is slowly getting better, the areas are getting smaller, and I'm gonna take him back to his old vet from now on. The vets I've been to in the Fort Myers area are scam artists. These people have mis-diagnosed him, and not been shy about gougeing me for the treatments.
Anyway he feels better, just slow to heal...and hopefully will stay closer to the house, and not play with squirmy things that he doesn't know about!

Old 10-03-2002, 04:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi bettdev!

I bet you hit the nail on the head with the snake bite!
A rattlesnake's venom acts as a "tenderizer"--that means it breaks down muscle and tissues. From the way you described the puncture wounds/lethargic state and skin condition ,it all seems to fit. It's not uncommon for a rattlesnake victim to lose a limb due to the infection and "actions" of the venom.

Sounds like Merlin was one lucky cat but he may have used up a few of his nine lives on this one!! ;-)

It will be a long haul but sounds like it might be running down hill from here on (for the better that is)---

Good luck and give Merlin a scratch behind the ears for me!

BTW---Katydid--how are those piggys---I ain't got no oinking package yet!!! My mailman is still on "oink alert"!!!
Old 10-03-2002, 04:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Amanda--I almost forgot --how's your "kitty dilemma"??? Have you been able to catch your kittens yet???
Old 10-07-2002, 06:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

klcrn,
Merlin's wounds are getting smaller, although are still big, open places. This pic shows him when the wounds were the biggest, and had dead skin that needed to be removed.

He does good when I have to clean/medicate him. He's really a good boy....this is him when he was ok...
He has stayed close to the house, and will hopefully be alright. I'm not sure how long it takes to get all the venom out of his system. Bett