Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-15-2002, 10:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Guess i jumped in there with both feet....and went alittle overboard......I'm the first one to try and help an animal.
I have 3 cats, a yellow lab, and 100 gallon aquarium. And...I want more animals...but this is enough responsibility for now. The cats and dog are all fixed, and current on their shots. They have collars with their rabies, and ID tags attached, along with bells...to warn birds, etc. of their presence. I have accepted full responsibility for them, and will continue to do so until they pass on.
O K ..........here goes....This past week, I almost lost one of my 3 cats. He had an infection that almost killed him...105.4 degree fever.
The reason he had the infection, was that he was bitten by a stray cat that someone in my neighborhood has been feeding.
This stray is fat and healthy, yet NO ONE will take responsibility for his actions. No one even claims to know anything about him.
He came on my property, and while my cat was running from him...bit mine on the tail. He has 5 puncture wounds that infected his spinal fluid. He couldn't even urinate for 3 days. I though he was dying. 2 emergency vet visits, $300.00, and 5 days later, my cat is finally able to walk and eat.
This same cat has climbed up my lanai screens, and walked across the top to get on the roof of my house. There's another couple hundred in repair costs.
The main reason...i think...why he is this aggressive, is because he is not neutered. I plan to borrow a trap, and send him to the shelter....i have no other choice.
Yes, my 3 cats go outside...we are the only house on this entire suburban block...and they come to me when i call them back in.
I don't have all the answers...I do know that there is help out there......i banged my head against alot of walls before i found help with neuter & spaying costs for mine.
Hope you can find the help that i did......

Old 08-16-2002, 06:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Good morning bettdev. It's ok to jump in with both feet. Animals are one of the things people tend to feel passionately about, one way or the other. Lots of opinions out there, too. I see you're aware that many think cats should be kept strictly indoors. It's all in what works in each situation. After years of having outside cats with a very high success rate, I lost one to a car. Never again. Indoors only now. And like you, I'd love to have more pets. We currently have a dalmation, a Maine Coon and a sun conure. My family thinks that's sometimes too many animals, but I love them all and would gladly take in more. When I worked for the vet, I always brought home the injured or abandoned animals to nurse back to health and then adopt out. That seemed to serve my need to be needed without overloading my family on permanent pets. In fact, I kinda miss that now, come to think of it. Maybe I'll contact a local vet or animal shelter about becoming a foster mom. That might just work. Thanks.
Katie
Old 08-16-2002, 09:10 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh bettdev! I'm so sorry you had to go through that, though I'm glad that your cat is doing better now. That story sheds a whole new light (and urgency) on this particular thread. I had meant to call around yesterday and find out about shelters, but forgot. I will definitely do it today.

On the subject of inside vs. outside: All cats are different too. not all cats want to go outside, and some don't want in! LOL I have 3 cats that are mine on purpose One is strictly indoors, she has no desire to covort outdoors, another one is strictly outdoors since we got the dog, he wn't come in anymore. The third one comes and goes as he pleases. He generally hangs around outside during the day and comes in at night.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-22-2002, 06:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, I guess my cat is not out of the woods, yet. Found a spot on his abdomen that is bruised, and feels hot to the touch. Put a cold pack on it for awhile earlier today, and he seemed to feel better. He's been licking it ,...i guess to cool it down. He's still on meds, so will monitor this for a few days, and see if it clears up.
We just can't lose him...

Old 08-22-2002, 06:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well bettdev, I'm so sorry to hear that. Watch him closely and let us know how he's doing.

Thanks,

Katie
Old 08-22-2002, 08:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Bettdev, You have really had a time of it...hope your pet recovers fully and quickly. Sorry all this came upon you! Good luck!

janet
Old 08-23-2002, 09:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Monday morning, my cat is going back to see his old vet...50 miles away. Seems these people don't have a clue as to what is wrong with my cat.
First vet found 5 puncture wounds on the top of his tail...all infected. Cleaned them out, gave him a penicillin injection, and Clavamox to take home.
Second vet (the next day) found another 3 or 4 punctures on the underside of his tail...again infected. Another injection of a different type of antibiotic...and Baytril to take home. This finally snapped him out of his legarthic state and he began to eat and act normally.
Now there's this spot on his abdomen near where his ...i think...left kidney is. It is grey in color, and where the surrounding pink skin is...there's a raised edge. Looks like a crater...
Tonight while checking him AGAIN...i found MORE puncture marks on his lower abdomen, (actually closer to his butt.) that are infected.
GEEEZE. You'd think that one of those vets would have found all this the 1ST TIME!
He seems to be fine as far as his daily routine, but is constantly licking that grey spot.
I just cleaned the biggest of these wounds, and put antibiotic ointment on it. He wasn't thrilled. I'll continue to clean the smaller ones, until I can get him to the vet monday. He's got plenty of antibiotics to see him thru till then. I think that he's got more injuries than anyone thought.
The old vet will know what to do for him....the other 2 have been too busy bickering about WHO mis-diagnosed him to be of much help. :mad: I may go after the 1st one...they took him into the back room, and gave him ANESTHESIA...just to clip the fur off his tail. WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE, OR CONSENT!
What were they thinking?.......

Gotta get this one figured out...

Old 08-24-2002, 05:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wow, I can't believe they sedated your cat with him running such a high fever!!!! That's soooooo dangerous!! And I agree, they should have found the other puncture wounds the first time. You're right tho, you have plenty of AB to last til Monday and using the AB ointment (or cream) is perfect. It's a same you have to go 50 miles to get good veterinary care, but I'm glad you have a doctor you can trust. What's this cat's name??? Take care of him and keep us posted.

Katie
Old 08-24-2002, 10:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

His name is Merlin....and is all black. Looks like a minature panther.

Old 08-24-2002, 10:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Love the name. Hope he's back to normal soon.

Hey, wanted to tell you, I birthed 13 piglets last night!!! Wow, it was soooo fun. A first for me. Usually only do cats and dogs. Was the sow at the local high school.

Checked on them this a.m. All are doing great!!

Katie