Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 07-29-2002, 03:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

What do you feed your dog?

What brand of dog food do you feed your dog or dogs? I am currently feeding Iam's and they aren't thrilled about it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.They are a Greyhound mix and the other dog is a border-collie mix.

janet
Old 07-29-2002, 07:00 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Angel is getting Iams Puppy, Lamb & Rice. It's the only food so far that keeps her from getting gas and stinking up my house! LOL She doesn't seem really keen on it though, now that you mention it.

I'd like to hear Jeannie's recommendations

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 07-30-2002, 01:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Shaker will only eat Iams in the green bag (large chincks only) or the Eukanuba.

She WON'T touch anything else unless it is real food.
Old 08-03-2002, 06:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dog food

Beneful, Beneful, Beneful!
This has made my dog so happy
Not to mention, the cat sneaks over there to his bowl and eats it, too. Too bad they don't make Beneful for kitties.
And as showers on the grass."
Deuteronomy 32:2

Old 08-03-2002, 06:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We have a 4 yr old miniature dachshund. The breeder weaned her onto Eukanuba and that is what she has has ever since. Our wonderful vet told us that dachshunds have a very sensitive digestive tract and if we tried to switch foods, we would regret it!

She has always loved it and scarfs it down as soon as we put it in her bowl!

Of course, she is like Mikey...she'll eat anything! Well, she won't eat celery! When we sneak her some "people food", she will eat anything we give her except celery! She loves mushrooms, bell pepper, tomatoes, carrots, green beans, cauliflower and broccoli. Her favorite though, I think, is to give her a cabbage core. She used to even eat raw onion until we found out that, like chocolate, it can be poisonous to a dog.
Old 08-03-2002, 06:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have 2 shep/mix girls. I feed them Avo-Derm which is made by Breeder's Choice. Once in awhile I give them Natural Balance.
The rule of thumb is to look at the ingredients on the can. The first items listed is what there is the most of. Avo Derm has the following items...chicken, chicken broth, brown rice, ocean fish, flax, carrots, potatoes, avocado oil lecithin, dried kelp, and then all the added stuff. I grabbed a can of beef formula Natural Balance and the first ingredients are: beef, beef broth, carrots, oat bran, brown rice, potatoes, canola oil and then the rest of the added stuff.
I recommend Avo-Derm because it really makes their coat shiny and healthy. I think it's the avocado oil.
My girls won't eat lamb. I also put ppl food on top ....grated cheese, cottage cheese, tuna, salmon, chicken....whatever we are eating they get a little bit of. Spoiled girls.
Also.....if your dog has a tummy ache my vet recommends oatmeal. He says oatmeal is good for everyone.
They get a carrot most every night. I just wash it off and cut off the top and bottom. It cleans the tartar off their teeth.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Onions are posionous for dogs I never knew that ABEAR93 thank-you so much for the news.

PLEIAD: Thanks for the tip on carrots for dogs I never knew they were great for cleaning tartar off their teeth! What a great tip!Where do you find AVO-DERM is it found online???

Keep the tips coming ladies they are great!

janet
Old 08-03-2002, 07:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Morning, Janet!

I have 2 dogs, Max, 4, who is a Collie/German Shepherd & Holly, 10, who is a Border Collie/Husky mix...both are on Hills Prescription Diet, Rice & Salmon...this was strongly suggested by the vet..yes, it's more costly than others but in some ways not....before, both dogs were going poop "at least" 7 times a day!!!! Now with this food, it's perhaps 2, 3 at the very most...no more diarrhea either which was rampant & sometimes they were having to go in the middle of the nite...so in the basement they'd go!

This food has very little "filler" & that's what was making them go to the bathroom so much, hard on their bodies too...they luv the food, it's a dry food..& if I run out occasionly, I just mix up a batch of rice & mix in some canned salmon! lol

Hope all this helps, but perhaps the best source for your dog would be your own vet!! Hugs...Jacquie
Old 08-03-2002, 07:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Janet

I also never knew about the onion until I read about it online somewhere. I asked our vet about it and got a big, emphatic YES about it being poisonous to both dogs and other animals.

I never knew that about carrots either. But I give Sweetie raw carrots all the time as it is my favorite snack to munch on while watching tv at night.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Avo Derm is made by Breeder's Choice. I buy it at Petco you can also get it at Petsmart. And yes they are online.
http://www.breeders-choice.com they also have a 800 number.....it's 1-800-255-4AVO you can call and ask them where the nearest store is to you. One of my dogs was a stray. 7month old skinny girl with a horrible coat. Avo-Derm really helped her coat and it also helps keep oil in her skin. I buy it by the case (canned) and it is around $27. They also have dry and other products. I buy Avo-Active Care Chews cuz it has a hip and joint formula in it. I give them 4 a day....and they love them. They are expensive....around $15 but like I said on the last post......my girls are spoiled.