Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 07-24-2002, 07:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My 17 year old dog recently died.

My best friend recently died of old age and illness. After having him for 17 years I am totally lost. I have another dog and cats but really miss him. Has anyone else recently lost their pet of this age? He would give me his paw for petting him, feeding him, giving him toys, taking him for his walks even near the end he still gave me his paw to thank me. I adopted him from the shelter when he was only one year old. He was a golden retriever mix.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:22 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh Lila I cried just reading you rpost. I had a dog for 13 years that I lost and missed her soooooooo much. I still do and that was almost 10 years ago. They become not only a loyal friend, but a cherished member of the family. My dog now, Angel, is only 9 months old, but I love her so much that if I lost her I know I would be devastated.

First, let me give you a huge HUG

Second, have you ever heard of the Rainbow Bridge? I'm sure you probably have, but in case you haven't...

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

-------

There is a website dedicated to the loss of your pet, there are a couple actually. This one lets you enter your pet's name into a memorial: http://rainbowsbridge.com/resident_apply.htm

There's also Pet Loss.com, a grief support website: http://www.petloss.com/

I found this piece especially moving considering the tragedy of last Sept 11th:

WELCOME AT RAINBOW BRIDGE

by Alexander Theodore, Bouvier, Fourth Year Resident

On the morning of September 11, 2001, there was an unprecedented amount of activity at the Rainbow Bridge. Decisions had to be made. They had to be made quickly. And, they were.

An issue, not often addressed here, is the fact that many residents really have no loved one for whom to wait. Think of the pups who lived and died in hideous puppy mills. No one on earth loved or protected them. What about the many who spent unhappy lives tied in backyards? And, the ones who were abused. Who are they to wait for?

We don't talk about that much up here. We share our loved ones as they arrive, happy to do so. But we all know there is nothing like having your very own person who thinks you are the most special pup in the Heavens.

Last Tuesday morning a request rang out for pups not waiting for specific persons to volunteer for special assignment... An eager, curious crowd surged excitedly forward, each pup wondering what the assignment would be.

They were told by a solemn voice that unexpectedly, all at once, over 6,000 loving people had left Earth long before they were ready.

All the pups, as all pups do, felt the humans' pain deep in their own hearts. Without hearing more, there was a clamoring among them - "May I have one to comfort?" "I'll take two, I have a big heart." "I have been saving kisses forever."

One after another they came forward begging for assignment. One cozy-looking fluffy pup hesitantly asked, "Are there any children coming?

I would be very comforting for a child 'cause I'm soft and squishy and I always wanted to be hugged." A group of Dalmatians came forward asking to meet the FireFighters and be their friends. The larger working breeds offered to greet the Police Officers and make them feel at home.

Little dogs volunteered to do what they do best, cuddle and kiss. Dogs who on Earth had never had a kind word or a pat on the head, stepped forward and said, "I will love any human who needs love."

Then all the dogs, wherever on Earth they originally came from, rushed to the Rainbow Bridge and stood waiting, overflowing with love to share - each tail wagging an American Flag.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 07-25-2002, 02:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am so Sorry,.,,, Please accept a hug from me.

I have had our dog for ten years and we just went through a health scare with her (actually this is the 2nd one in two years).

I can not imagine life without her in the house.

My heart goes out to you and yours.

Old 07-26-2002, 04:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. I also lost an older dog when he was 16 years, 4 months, and 13 days old. It's been almost 9 years now and I still have his picture on the fridge. Why not, he was a cool friend!

You can't replace your dog but when you are ready maybe you could find a new friend.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am headed to bed...

with a heavy heart. Tomorrow I have to face the dreaded task of putting my mom's dog to rest. I have cried on & off all day thinking about it.

Onyx is a 15 1/2 year old Pomeranian. They normally live to be about 12. She is blind & deaf. She has arthritis in both hips. She is losing control of her bowels. She has a collapsed trachea and coughs basically the whole time she is awake. She has no QUALITY of life. she sleeps most of the time. it is very sad.

I have never done this before... My mom just keeps saying that she knows it needs to be done yet she CANNOT do it. I hope I am strong enough...

Thanks for listening...reading

Remember:
Wherever you go, there you are!
Old 10-28-2002, 06:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Lila, I am so sorry for your loss..I lost a beloved dog of 10 yrs old and I cried for her for a long time...then I lost my cat who was 18 yrs old....I still forget she is gone at times and think about saving the water from tuna for her...she loved that over her food. I have had many pets throughout my life and just try to think of the good memories and happy times.

Danyel,
I know you will be strong for your Mom and you will be able to do this. Just try to think about how important this is for your Mom and you know it is the best for her pet. It is so hard to see your pet having a poor quality of life...this will be hard but I know you can do it. I am praying for you!

janet
Old 10-29-2002, 07:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank You Janet...

I am sitting here dreading this...Onyx is laying under the coffee table trying to sleep but can only cough...I am crying and haven't even left for the appt yet.

Thanks for praying for me (& Onyx) we are leaving momentarily.

Remember:
Wherever you go, there you are!
Old 11-08-2002, 02:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

So sorry to hear of your loss, I can sympathize with you because I had a dog that died at 14 and a half years old. She was my best friend. More than anyone had ever been. We did everything together. I had a horse and she would ride on the back of myhorse with me. I sometimes cry still when I look at her pictures and it has been almost 5 years since she died! Her memories are with me always and no dog will ever replace my Snoopy!
Old 11-10-2002, 01:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Our dog Toby.

First I want to say I'm so sorry for your loss but he is in a better place now where he doesn't have any more pain. He loved you as much as you loved him, don't ever forget that.

Anyway, yes I have gone through this but not in the same way. Three years ago, my dog I grew up with my whole childhood had to be put to sleep. I was married and didn't live at home anymore but I still went to visit Toby all the time and he would always just have enough energy to mosy over to me and lick my hand. He was a cute little Cairn Terrier. Nicest dog in the world. But he was crippled with arthritis and was losing control of his bowel and his bladder and just before they put him down they said he had a stroke. He was ready to go and we knew it but it was so hard on all of us. He was actually 17 also. Old for a little dog like that, at least that's what the vet said. So take care of yourself and love your other animals and you will feel better soon.

Stacy