Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 07-15-2002, 01:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

ticks on dog

we are having a very bad time with ticks. our rottie "angie" is at the vets now. she is so anemic she can hardly stand.
we have dipped her, sprayed the yard twice with two different chemicals, tried cow tick collars, frontline,we've even tried picking them off every day.and everything else we can think of to get rid of these blood suckers! nothing seems to work.
The vet told us she has never seen an infestation as bad as ours.
She told us to try and find some products called-knock out -and -precore. has anyone heard of this stuff? We can't find it anywhere.
we are at our wits end and our dog is near death.
Does anyone know anything that will get rid of these awful ticks?
Old 07-20-2002, 03:58 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh that's awful! I couldn't find anything on Precore, but found Knock Out here http://www.dresslersdog.com/flea01.html

I hope your doggie is feeling better soon

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 07-20-2002, 07:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

tick problem

Hi! I don't know what kind of area you live in, but I'm in a residential suburb and we deal with ticks by having guinia hens roam the neighborhood. Believe it or not, their favorite food is ticks!
Old 07-20-2002, 07:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

marilou,

We lived in Texas for many years and the ticks were awful. We tried everything. The agriculture center said that even having a professional bug man come and spray our yard probably would not stop them because they bed down deep in the yard.
We finally put out lime dust and then followed it a few days later with sulphur. We left the lime dust down for 3 days, watered in down good so it would go down into the dirt and grass and then put down the sulphur and waited a few days on that. We found it helped a little but did not stop them from coming back. We lived in the country and my dad finally started burning sections of our grass at a time. That really helped. The grass also came back beautiful. I hate the ticks and fleas. We live in Fl and the fleas are bad. I keep moth balls through out my yard. . It seems to help. I water a lot and that seems to help. I do not use chemicals because of the dogs chewing on the grass. Frankie
Old 07-20-2002, 07:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ticks & Other Dog Pests

This is slightly off-topic, but I wanted to tell everyone what wonderful success I have had with keeping fleas off my dog. This is the first summer I haven't had a major flea infestation. I read somewhere on the Internet to give your dog about one teaspoon of Brewer's Yeast a day and fleas would stay off the dog. Well it works!! I give my 35 pound ****er a little brewer's yeast every day in a spoonful or so of yoghurt. She likes the taste, and I have not seen even one flea all summer. I have not had to have her dipped and she is so much more comfortable and happy this year.
Plus I have saved a fortune. I haven't used any additonal flea medicine at all this summer. The brewer's yeast can be purchased at a health food store. It costs about $7.00 a pound, enough for several months. I hope this helps someone. It is like a miracle and even her fur seems healthier.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm so sorry for your dog.....Ticks can be life threatening...
Call the vet college in your state or call Cornell University School of Vet Medicine in NY.....they may be able to help you..

If your dog stays outside, you will never rid her of the problem....
I am assuming she doesn't live indoors...I don't know....I'm just trying to see if we can find a solution....... It's sad to see your dog suffer like that..... *sigh*

I had a friend visit me with a pup when I lived in AZ....and this pup dropped seed ticks....It took a professional exterminator to do inside and outside the house to get rid of them

Be careful who you use.....these general exterminators like terminex etc use. I was fortunate in the exterminator that I found
had been a state inspector prior to going into private practice sort to speak... but I got rid of a very terrible infestation.
I wish he were here in TX......but try calling an independent exterminator and pick his brain and get a guarantee....
Hope this helps...

Jeannie
Old 07-20-2002, 08:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi,
I have not tried the yeast yet but I did try the garlic pills and it did not work.
I have a little dog and she is allergic to all the medicine that you use for fleas. The advantage and the other stuff. We just bath her and when she is dry we put baby powder on her and that helps some. I will try the yeast as we have a 100lb dog that does not know he is a dog and stays in the house and I can put advantage on him but hate to use chemicals
Thanks
Old 07-21-2002, 03:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

O.K. I hope this helps. I emphasize with you on the tick problem, I find ticks on my dd all the time. Since moving to MD this is the first time I have been exposed to ticks with such a vengence (from CO). I saw a 20/20 or other news show where these people had ticks climbing on the inside of their walls in their home and it got to the point they could not even go outside. These people were from Connenicut. Anyway they just approved a new tick thing and it reduced the ticks for these people by 95%.
It could only be done by an exterminator and was not a hazard to humans or pets. It was based on the principle of the roach motel. They have just authorized it for use in Conniecut and soon to be released to other states. I wish I could remember the name of it but maybe you can do some research on it and see what you can do with it. Also try Jerrybaker.com site if its not there send him a question. He is a natural gardner and believes in home remedies and his stuff really works. Good luck and I hope your dog feels better.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ticks thrive in high humidity and moderate temperatures. Here in the south we have a very big problem. While many of the products available on the market today are excellent, it's very important that they are applied correctly to actually work. Topical flea and tick products bought at wal-mart or other discount houses are not going to protect your pet. Frontline Plus is an excellent tick preventative if applied correctly and used regularly every 3 weeks. However, nothing is foolproof and if it isn't working for you, it has a money back guarantee from the manufacturer! There is also an excellent tick collar available from vets only called Preventic. (I am not sure if it is available everywhere). It works for 3 months. It is pricey (for a tick collar) but it does work. When you are purchasing any "dip" be sure the product you are using has "pyrethrin" in it. It is also important that the "dip" stay on the dog for a minimum 20 minutes. When contacting a local pest control company, request that they use a Pyrethrin based product to treat your home and yard. I hope that some of this information is helpful to all of you. As always when it comes to your pets health and well being, your best source of information is your local veterinarian!

This information is based on my own personal oppinion and job experience. I am not a spokesperson for Merial or any other manufacturer.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

ticks on dog.

Hello everyone,
I have read all the post replies and I want to thank frankie for telling me about the sulpher. I will try it.
thanks to mulberry 204 for telling me about brewers yeast. I will try this too.
thanks to kimmyo for telling me about the flea collar "preventic". I will get one of these & put it on angie when the vets lets me.
thanks to craftinanci for telling me about her guineas. I wish my city would allow them in the city limits.
thanks to jeannie for the advice she offered about using a professional exterminator. I may have to resort to using one.
and finally thanks to amanda for asking how my dog angie is doing. she is doing much better. we have babied her for the last 6 wks. the vet still won't let us put any chemicals on her. like dips ,collars,sprays,frontline, etc. so, everyday I comb her and check for ticks. we have sprayed the yard three times with three different bug killers. it's working slowly. angie stays inside away from this stuff. she only does her daily & then back in the house.
I really appreciate all the advice. thanks to all of you.
may God bless all of you.