Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 07-25-2002, 12:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm so sorry to hear your puppy has suffered so. We had a friend watch our little 2 lb. Yorkie for a year and he kept him outside with the other dogs. He found him dead from tick and flea infestation - it didn't take much to drain the little fellow of his blood supply! I felt so guilty - still do. So this can be serious.
We live in Oklahoma and we know of folks who surround their land and yard with Purple Martin Houses. They say they keep the ticks out of sight. I don't know if this works but they say it does. It might be worth a try to get them started this year and by next year maybe it will be under control. So glad to hear you pup is better. MOONPIE
Old 07-26-2002, 12:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

The last two years we had a horrible time with ticks...and we live in a residential area. This year...EARLY spring...I put down the tick and flea granules that you can get at Wal-Mart. At the beginning of summer I did it again. I also put Frontline on my dogs in early spring and again early summer. I have also sprayed my yard, especially around where the dogs sleep, with some all purpose garden bug spray. So, far this year, we have not had nearly the problem. But, I'm convinced the key for us was starting early before we had such an infestation.
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 07-26-2002, 12:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Marilou...

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. They are so special to us...and it is my belief that no matter what, they are
always with us. They are always watching Perhaps this poem can offer some consolation...*hugs*

RainBow Bridge

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth.
It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors.

Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge
there is a land of meadows,
hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again.

Those who are sick are healed.
They play all day with each other.

There is only one thing missing.
They are not with their special person
who loved them on Earth.
So each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up!

The nose twitches! The ears are up!
They eyes are staring! And this one
suddenly runs from the group!

You have been seen,
and when you and your special friend meet,
you take him or her in your arms and embrace.
Your face is kissed again and again and
again, and you look once more
into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together,
never again to be separated.

(Author Unknown).
Old 07-26-2002, 06:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Jeannie, Thank you for posting the Rainbow Bridge! We give that out at the pet clinic I work at to everyone who loses a loyal companion.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ticks

Marilou, I am sorry for your loss.

Girlygemini, Which Skin-So-Soft product & how do you use it?
I have cats, not dogs, but ticks are a big problem for them also.
john11v5a
Old 08-03-2002, 06:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Try Chickens

I'm so sorry for you and your dog. We had an awful problem some time back with ticks. They were even crawling up the side of our house. Yuck! Then quite by accident we found out that chickens love to eat ticks. We had purchased some hens and put them in the back yard. They went nuts for the ticks that were crawling up the clapboards on the house. And ever since we have always had at least one or two chickens. And no more ticks.
If you can have chickens where you live I think you will find your problem solved.
Sue
Old 08-04-2002, 07:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

ticks on our dog

hi,
thanks for your advice EJGMOM. If our city of abilene,texas would allow farm animals ,I would have some chickens. but, they won't allow anyone in the city to have any animals. except dogs, cats, birds,ferrets etc.
Our dog died. so, we aren't planning on getting another one. our city only allows four pets per house whole. we have four cats inside .
our four cats have a 7x7x7 screened in cage build onto the side of our house. that way they can go outside anytime they want. we cut a small door thru the wall and installed a pet door for them to use to enter their outside home. they really use it too.
we can't let them run loose. we have some neighbors that enjoy killing animals.
thank you again for your advice.
maryilou48
Old 08-04-2002, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

ticks

Moonpie, I wonder if you are right-on about the Purple Martins?My house is surrounded by Purple Martin birdhouses, and as long as I have lived here, I have never seen even one tick. This is bug paradise (southwest Louisiana), so it must be the birds. I never spray the yard. Also, the birds help with the mosquitos. I wonder how far north purple martins travel?
Old 08-04-2002, 05:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am so sorry about your dog. Perhaps we
all should check out the puprle Martin
theory posted on this thread. At the least
they would help with the mosquito problems
we are having here in Dallas.
Huggs to you and yours.
Sue
Old 07-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ever since our neighbors let their dogs run all over the neighborhood, I see ticks jumping up on my dogs and us when we go outside! Grrrr! I have some Skin-so-Soft, but it is in Las Cruces. If anyone knows of any other home product that I might have on hand that I can use just for today to keep them off my dogs so they can go outside, please let me know. Thanks.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!