FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Pets & Animals (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/pets-animals/)
-   -   Does anyone else walk their cat? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/pets-animals/26445-does-anyone-else-walk-their-cat.html)

Cooked 11-10-2009 07:45 AM

Does anyone else walk their cat?

In my city, you are not supposed to let your cat loose. They should be on a leash or in a run etc. like a dog. No one around me adheres to that rule, but me. My cat has always gone outside on a leash in the yard.
Lately, there have been problems with other cats getting him to the end of his rope then attacking. This has cost us a lot of grief and money for the vet at an average amount of $150 per visit.
Then my cat decided that when I go to get the paper in the morning, he can bolt at a great speed through my legs and out the door. This was going on for a week or two when he was attacked by the racoon family we have in the lanes. We were healing from that when a cat came in our back yard when he was out (I was away for about 5 min!) on his leash and got him on his foot. I am not sure about any damage from my cat.
I decided that was enough! I am now taking him for a walk on his leash everyday. He resisted a bit at first, but now he can hardly wait and is really tired when we return. I think it is great, it is safe and entertaining, and good excercise for me too. Anyone else walk their cat?

cat lover 12-28-2009 02:59 PM

We have long ago in the past taken our cats one at a time down a walk on our driveway, but not on a leash. We never had any problems doing that even though there was a leash law there too. Mine would never walk on a leash, they would drop to their side and lay there and would not move! lol
I have a friend that has a cat stroller and she takes her cats for walks in it. It is just like a baby stroller except it is covered in a netting type material so they get the air, can move around in it, but not get out.

ajrsmom 12-28-2009 07:26 PM

I think that my cats would love that stroller! ;)

My cats pretty much roll with the punches after a while so they would probably learn to walk with a leash.

Bilby 12-28-2009 08:23 PM

I've seen those cat or dog strollers, we had to do a double take when we first saw it!!

Cats are not supposed to be loose here either and definitely not at night they are supposed to be locked up or in special cat run cages.

They are just starting to try to get cats registered like dogs are but people aren't doing that either. Me I'm not a cat person and ds1 has serious cat allergies so just as well

Cooked 01-06-2010 11:15 AM

Cat strollers! lol I find that very humerous! My husband would leave me I think! lol I can see how they would be very useful though, if they won't walk, why not?
We have not been out in a while, as it is -42 out and I just don't wanna! I do see the others outside spraying my trees etc and it really bothers me, never mind the smell. Why have a pet and let him go all over other's yards?

ajrsmom 01-06-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilby
I've seen those cat or dog strollers, we had to do a double take when we first saw it!!

Cats are not supposed to be loose here either and definitely not at night they are supposed to be locked up or in special cat run cages.

They are just starting to try to get cats registered like dogs are but people aren't doing that either. Me I'm not a cat person and ds1 has serious cat allergies so just as well

They are starting to get pretty strict around here for cat licensing -of course, only to those who actually spay or neuter their cats - so they have a record of it.

Last year, a sheriff showed up at my door with a paper for me to go to court since I hadn't registered my cat. I told him that I did register him & that I had a 3 yr. license for him - of course he didn't believe me because he had heard that a million times. I asked him to wait outside until I found his license tag since my cat wont wear a collar (and he's never outdoors so I don't worry about it). I finally found it and was able to prove myself innocent. ;)

Cooked 01-07-2010 11:57 AM

Wow, that is pretty strict! They haven't gone that far here, and I can't imagine that they would. Good for you for being able to show them that you are an excellent pet owner!

Bilby, you say you have cat run cages for them at night? I cannot picture what that is. Would you mind explaining them to me?

Took my cat for a car ride this morning and he was just so happy to be out of the house! Too cold to put his head out the window though! That is quite the site!

Bilby 01-07-2010 12:05 PM

I have seen some pretty elaborate ones on home improvement shows, My sil has one in her yard for when she goes out in the daytime to work, her cat can be outside and not get into trouble, this site may give you a better idea.

Amanda 01-28-2010 04:32 AM

Testing with Tami

ajrsmom 01-28-2010 04:32 AM

This is a test.