FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Pets & Animals (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/pets-animals/)
-   -   Homemade Doggie Treats & Food (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/pets-animals/2375-homemade-doggie-treats-food.html)

phobe 2000 04-17-2002 08:20 PM

Homemade Dog Biscuits

1 3/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour, 1/2 cup Cornmeal, 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal, 1/4 cup Rye Kernels, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 3 tbls Liver powder (get from health food store), 1/2 cup marg,shortening or meat drippings, 1/2 cup beef of chicken stock, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 egg.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients. Add shortening or drippings.Blend until mixture resembles oatmeal. Mix in egg and enough of stock to form a ball. Knead dough for 1 to 2 minutes and roll out on a floured board to 1/2" thickness. Cut into bone shaped cookies using a cookie cutter or do it freehand.Place biscuits on an oiled baking tray.Prick buscuits twice with afork to form a dotted line down the middle.Reroll scraps and make more buscuits until all dough is used. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.

Amanda 05-13-2002 05:20 AM

Homemade dog biscuits?

Does anyone have a homemade dog biscuit recipe that they have tried and liked? There are tons on the Internet, but I would much rather have one that someone has already tried out. Dog treats are so expensive!

Scooby 05-13-2002 09:08 AM

This is the one I make and my dogs love it!

Dog Biscuits

1/2 cup cornmeal
1 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons Knorr intant beef stock mix or their vegetable or chicken stock mix
2 tablespoons bacon bits
6 tablespoons oil
2/3 cup water (approx)]
Mix together well. Roll out to approx 1/4 inch thick and cut out with either your Christmas cookie cutters or use the dog biscuit cutter. Bake 350 deg oven for approx 35 - 45 minutes, basting with meat drippings or bacon fat. Dogs really do like these biscuits. tried, true and tested.

peggy1946 05-15-2002 12:24 PM

Homemade Crunchy dog biscuits.(Very easy)

Here is a recipe for dog biscuits that is very easy and quick to make,I keep them in refrigerator in a container,my 2 dogs love them.

Ingredients

1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup milk
1 cup chicken bouillon
4 tablespoons vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400 F.
In a bowl combine whole-wheat flour,all-purpose flour and cornmeal,stir to mix.Boil 1 cup of water,add bouillon cube,stir to mix(you can also use beef bouillon cubes).Let this cool off.Mix the 4 tablespoons of oil with the milk and add to flour mixture,stir to mix.When bouillon is cooled slowly add to flour mixture,a little at a time,mix thoroughly(I usually don't use all this bouillon mixture as it makes the dough to wet).Sprinkle some flour on clean countertop and knead the dough there.Divide dough into 2 balls,so it is easy to work with.Knead each dough ball about 2 minutes.With a rolling pin,roll dough to between 1/4" and 1/2" thickness.Cut with any small cookie cutter.
Place on cookie sheet,bake 15 minutes,turn over and bake 15 minutes more,turn off the oven.Leave them in the oven for several hours to harden(I leave them overnight)
Store biscuits in refrigerator.

Instructions seem long but this is very easy to make,I use my hands to mix.
You can add any left over meat or I sometimes add a little grated chedder cheese for a change.

I've been making these for my 2 dogs for about a year now,I used to spend a lot on store bought treats,but just make these now,when I ask my dogs if they want a cookie they go crazy,they just love them!

Amanda 05-15-2002 12:45 PM

Re: Homemade Crunchy dog biscuits.(Very easy)

Quote:

Originally posted by peggy1946
1 cup chicken bouillon
Thanks for the recipes scooby and peggy! I just wanted to clarify this item in your ingredients peggy. You said one cup bouillon, did you mean a cup of chicken broth? Or some bouillon mixed with water? 1 cup is a lot of dried bouillon, so I wanted to make sure! :)

Thanks!

JaneH4 05-15-2002 04:21 PM

Homemade dog biscuits

Liver Treats

1 pound beef liver with juice
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 egg
Cut up liver and puree in blender. To this mixture hand mix flour, corn meal, garlic powder and egg. Spread on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Cut into squares. Makes 2 lbs. Fills a cookie sheet and yeilds 26 squares.

I got this recipe from dog obedience class. My dogs will take these over beggin strips.

peggy1946 05-15-2002 05:59 PM

Bouillion

Sorry,yes it means 1 cup of broth(made from 1 cup water and1bouillion cube)

Amanda 05-15-2002 06:46 PM

Thank you Peggy, and thanks everyone! :)

Amanda 05-17-2002 07:17 AM

Peggy, your recipe is in the oven right now :) I cut the broth down to 1/2 cup, that seemed like a good amount. I did some as squares and some others with a cat shaped cookie cutter LOL No offense to cat lovers, I'm one too! :-D

Scooby, I'm going to try yours next, I just didn't have the ingredients I would have needed, so when I go shopping I'm going to buyt that stuff :)

Still open to anymore that people have tried! Thanks!

Jeannie 05-17-2002 06:40 PM

Here's the recipe I use...they are very much like milk bones...

By the way, be careful of the amount of boullion y'all use ...it's too high in salt.....use home made soups without salt if you can.

3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup corn meal
5 tablespoons margarine
1 egg
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup wheat germ
3/4 cup hot tap water.......
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dry milk

( you can substitute vegetable juice or soup or broth for peanut butter and vanilla. If you use powdered bouillion, do not use the salt in the recipe)

Mix well..... roll out half the dough to fit into a jelly roll pan that has been lined with foil. To cut cookies: cut dough vertically in half, then horizontally in one inch pieces.

Bake 325 for 50 min ......

The recipe makes 50 to 60 cookies.
Cool the cookies on a wire rack, then package in plastic bags and freeze.... *s*